·
thecentralscrutinizer
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people run bar ends>

·
Registered
28 Posts
They can hurt very bad if you flip over the bar. I had experience with that when I was ten and had a Pacific Scorpion. I'm just happy I didn't hit my balls.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I do, even though with new bike, which finally have proper geometry for me, I don't find them that usefull anymore. I still use them on long slower flat rides, where they are a bit more comfortable then 50cm handlebar :)
As far as injuries go I don't think it's that bad. If you don't have them sticking up in air (my are installed about paralel to ground), I don't think you have much chances to get hurt.

·
silly person
629 Posts
You can injure yourself badly on the end of your handlebar too. I use them on both my rides. I've got little stumpy ones on my AM rig and monster ti L-bends on my XC rig (it got them first so it keeps them). I have trouble riding without them now, because it feels like my hands are very exposed without a bar end protecting them.

I like to use them to:
-Give me more positions on long rides and climbing (and by hell that 'goose needs every bit of help it can get climbing. I'm still getting the hang of the slack angles on it)
-Nudge things our of the way (like pedestrians :p)
-Protect hands from nasty thingies (like pedestrians :p)

My girlfriend uses them on her bike. It suits her well as she has managed to nudge a bollard a couple of times. The bar end has a dent but her fingers don't.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've got them on two SS and forgot how much they help with climbing, especially out of the saddle. As far as injuries, hell you can get hurt on anything you land on.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that bar end use is somewhat limited on most full suspension bikes. Bar ends were developed for and actually work quite well for hardtails on steep climbs. Generally FS bikes work better on climbs while seated...standing and doing a few hard pedal strokes at key, critical, technical spots works well, however, but this is not usually the place for bar ends. Yeah, you can employ suspension lockouts and such to help while you're standing on an FS bike and climbing with barends, but I think there's a reason why fewer AM bikes are coming with lockouts as compared to XC category bikes.

No...this isn't an attack on barend users...just a dicussion on the use of certain equipment. Riding in very technical terrain would keep me from using barends. They do add a level of additional risk for injury, especially in the most common MTB mishap...the OTB. Yeah, you can get poked by any number of things on your bike, but that additional 4-6 inches of metal above or out in front of your regular handelbar does up the ante. And yes...I'm old enough to have ridden many bikes with bar ends "in the old days"...LOL!

Many riders still enjoy barends and rightfully so. IMO there's even a new category where barends are making a comeback for very logical reasons...Jugdish mentions his SS application. You have to stand and pump a lot on that setup, and I can certainly see where they would help. I don't, however, think you're going to see lots of Enduros, Nomads, 6-Packs, etc. sporting barends...and not because of a style factor. So instead of a vote of "yes or no", I'd say you have to categorize their use first.

·
Uit Nederland
348 Posts
I never really used them, I had them on a bike when I was little but other then that, I never used them, they're kind of annoying, and you don't have control of the brakes. Yeah I can see where it would help you climb, but I don't think it would help that much...

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I don't really have much to contribute to this thread, but I have to say that TNC, you sound EXACTLY like someone from my local forum. You even have the same avatar that he used to have. Do you have a twin who lives in NY and rides an Ellsworth Moment by any chance? :p

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
I'm nursing a broken thumb thanks to my Cane Creek Ergo II's. I had been a staunch defender of barends up until now.

I was setting up for a downhill switchback, got too close to the side of the trail and caught a briar vine with the left barend. It yanked the bar out of my hand (that's what broke the thumb as near as I can tell) and tossed my over. Now I have 4 screws holding my thumb joint together and will be off the bike for about 6 weeks.

Yes, I should've been paying closer attention. I'm not excusing my inattentiveness , but just saying without the barends the briar would've slid off the grip and all would've been well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
loadedcarp said:
I'm nursing a broken thumb thanks to my Cane Creek Ergo II's. I had been a staunch defender of barends up until now.

I was setting up for a downhill switchback, got too close to the side of the trail and caught a briar vine with the left barend. It yanked the bar out of my hand (that's what broke the thumb as near as I can tell) and tossed my over. Now I have 4 screws holding my thumb joint together and will be off the bike for about 6 weeks.

Yes, I should've been paying closer attention. I'm not excusing my inattentiveness , but just saying without the barends the briar would've slid off the grip and all would've been well.
This is why you don't use bar-ends on trails!! It may be easier to dig into a hill, but the risk of snaging somthing overshadows their benefits.

Sorry about the break man, that must have hurt like a mofo!! Drink some milk for that bone!!

I did see this one guy with a different type of barends the other day. The looked like a half egg mounded onto the end of the handle bars, just enough to wrap your palm around. They could be safer???????mabey????

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Lol!

Hardtails Are Better said:
I don't really have much to contribute to this thread, but I have to say that TNC, you sound EXACTLY like someone from my local forum. You even have the same avatar that he used to have. Do you have a twin who lives in NY and rides an Ellsworth Moment by any chance? :p
No...not any family from that area...though I've been through there on some trips. I particularly like your upstate scenery...awesome stuff. We are an Ells dealer at our shop, but I've never owned one. I'm from and currently still live in Texas. Can't you tell by the accent?:D Your observation may just be one of those "parallel universe" type of deals.;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Bar ends on my HT, but not on my FS. I like the bar ends on my HT for climbing out of the saddle and for changing my hand position longer, flatter rides. My bar ends curve inwards, so no issues with hooking vines or branches. If something hooks on to these, it would have hooked on to my handlebars anyway. Like TNC said, not much need for bar ends on the FS, since 95% of my climbing is done seated.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
TNC said:
No...not any family from that area...though I've been through there on some trips. I particularly like your upstate scenery...awesome stuff. We are an Ells dealer at our shop, but I've never owned one. I'm from and currently still live in Texas. Can't you tell by the accent?:D Your observation may just be one of those "parallel universe" type of deals.;)
I guess so. I like the scenery here in Upstate NY too. :thumbsup: It's just really weird how much you sound like this one guy. Same speach patterns, same sort of opinions, etc.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
mopartodd said:
How many people run bar ends>
Used them up to 2 weeks ago, trying out carbon bars for the first time and seeing what this OS stuff is all about. The Fashion Police gave me a warning ticket when i tried to put barends on a riser bar so i have to go without for now.

2 things i've noticed; 1) I really miss barends. They are great for climbs, they get your body weight forward to keep the front wheel down and they give you leverage to pull with and apply more power. And they are great for the flats when you can lay forward on them and rest your back. 2) XC carbon bars flex more than aluminum ones.

Barends have caused only one crash in 12 years for me when another rider with barends hooked mine. Trees can be safer than other riders sometimes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes I use L-shaped ones on a full-suspension bike (with a riser handlebar). The fashion police can go march in a parade for all I care, my bar-ends are staying...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ratt I'm not really sure if this what you wrote about climbing is completely true. It is logical on first sight, but in reality it doesn't really work this way. On really steep uphills I always hold handlebar and not bar ends (besides weight allocation it also allowes me to shift gears easier). Whole thing for better grip is (almost) completely out of logic, but it works (at least on xc bikes, and I never ride anything else then xc so I have no experience with other then xc bikes). You move back on your seat to have more weight on your back wheel (which needs grip) and just lower your torso toward handlebar, which prevents "lifting" of front wheel (English is not my native language so I hope all this does make some sense :) ). And good thing to learn is not to pull handlebar at all (you are cycling with legs not hands), but if you still do, then pull it back and not up. It really does make difference, even if it might sound weird.

·
silly person
629 Posts
Depends on your style primoz. I find barends help me a lot on hills. If it's slippery and you can't keep the back wheel from spinning then bar ends might not help you at all. If it's just a long brutal climb, where traction isn't a problem, then the ability to stand and deliver can be amazingly effective.

The other thing is, it's possible, using bar ends to use the same style as what you suggest, but as you can also position your hands further forward, you can then get lower down, still keep that back wheel in traction and if necessary, get more weight on the front.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Martin I agree completely. For long uphills (when in saddle or out of saddle) bar ends are great help for me too, even though I have just about 5cm long straight bar ends (not those "bended" ones as someone had on photo). But for those really steep uphills where you never know if you will make it or not, I never use them (but it's just personal preference nothing more). I also don't use them anymore for those short uphills where I sprint over them. As I wrote in my first post this bike finaly fits me, so I have feeling it's just waste of time to switch from one position to another, since holding handlebar feels much more "natural" as it did with old bike. With old bike I would almost always grab bar end when I would go out of saddle. :)

·
thecentralscrutinizer
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used to run them back in the "old days" as well. The reason I ask it that I don't see nearly as many users on the trail anymore. I was curious if this was a local deal, or more of a national/global trend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts