Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard several times that bar ends are dangerous and can impale you in a nasty crash. Is this true? Has anyone had personal experience or heard of anyone being hurt by bar ends during a crash?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Found a couple links with a quick search:

1) Read the section under the heading "abdominal viscera" at this link: Mountain biking injuries: a review

2) Also read the abstract here: Elsevier

So bar-end injuries would seem not to be urban legend.
The bar ends of my Ergon GS2's are a pliable plastic/rubber combination and are about as sharp as the end of a football. I would be much much more concerned about debri on and around the trail then my bar ends...;)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Attempt to stab someone with a bar end and report back please. Rep for pics. ;)

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Just about anything can impale you in a nasty crash. Best thing to do is just stay inside.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I worry about being impaled by the stubby remnants of pine tree branches much more than any part hanging on my bike.

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,251 Posts
I worry about being impaled by the stubby remnants of pine tree branches much more than any part hanging on my bike.
i had this happen to me at the boggs mountain demonstration forest in 1999. i used my left hand to keep me from falling down into an embankment but planted the meaty part of my palm by the thumb right onto a protruding twig, a quarter inch or so of which remained in my left hand...unbeknownst to me...until it started to come out on the other side four months later...i am not kidding you.

a doctor had to surgically remove the piece of twig and my left hand has never been the same since.

this is a true story...

·
Here, diagonally!
2,097 Posts
Or, instead of "getting with the program", you could decide for yourself if bar-ends benefit you, and then use them if they do.

·
A guy on a bike
997 Posts
I don't personally know anyone who's been impaled by their bar ends. But of course it's possible--just it's also possible to get impaled by your handlebar, pedal, stem, etc. And if it's possible, it's probably happened! But I don't think that it's common.

I like my bar ends. For long rides especially, the additional hand positions sure are nice. I also prefer them when standing or climbing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're riding a moutnain bike in a cross race you can't use them. I assumed it was a safety concern for other racers. I think you'd have to get pretty twisted up to stab yourself :)

·
Monkey Junkie
593 Posts
I don't know anyone who has been stabbed by their bar ends, but think about it - bikes have plenty of parts that can absolutely injure you if you crash the wrong (or perhaps right) way. I think bar ends have a much greater likely hood of injuring another rider in front of you if you collide rather than hurting you in a crash alone. That's why they're a no-no in CX racing. For trail riding, I say try them. Was just thinking about putting my Titec micros back on.

·
they took the bar
575 Posts
I never even thought of this type of accident, until coming across this thread. Getting impaled by your bars or brake levers, yikes.

I've been more worried about launching into a cactus....

·
A guy on a bike
997 Posts
Found a couple links with a quick search:

1) Read the section under the heading "abdominal viscera" at this link: http://bmb.oxfordjournals.org/content/85/1/101.full

2) Also read the abstract here: Elsevier

So bar-end injuries would seem not to be urban legend.
Nice research!

In the second link (which is the source referred to in the first), eight out of 19,000 injuries are were associated with bar ends--and all of them healed without intervention (surgery). .04%--not far from urban legend status!

But the first link has something a little scary: "...96% of mountain bikers had pathological abnormalities of scrotal contents [balls] compared with 16% of the control group..."

Methinks that I'm less worried about my bar ends (.04% injury risk) than I am about by nuts (96% risk)!:eek:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts