Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all
here's the story: i like my bars about 24" wide. I have some easton carbon bars that were 26" uncut, so i just moved the grips and stuff in an inch and said to myself, 'i will cut them down later". then i bought a 24" wide ti flat bar. "i'll put it on later" and i set it aside.

then i put some old cane creek ergo bar ends on the exposed carbon ends, sort of to protect them. then i find i like bar ends again. but if i put the bar ends on the ti bar, they push my hand in about an inch on either side. so it remains on the bench.

are there any bar ends out there that take up very little space on the actual bar? something short with some inward angle. those ST lite things? take up 1/2 inch or so, max? i was also looking at the ritchey WCS ergo bar ends. how wide is the clamp on those?

also: beware the free strawberry flavor 'clif bloks' that come free with an REI order of late. they DO NOT TASTE LIKE TWIZZLERS. they taste like a dog's crap after eating a pound of cherry NIBS on halloween. you have been warned.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I do like the Clif Bloks (haven't tried the strawberry). But $2 a bag, and no electrolytes (i.e., just sugar)? Sharkies are way better.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
I'm a big fan of the taste and palatable nature of Clif Bloks.......however....looking at the ingredients.....I'm hard pressed to find anything that sets them apart from run of the mill grocery store candy.

And If I'm gonna eat candy on a ride.....you can be damn sure it's gonna be either toblerone or a take 5 bar.

As for your bar ends.....find some of the old Answer barends that actually insert into the ends of your bars....If I remember correctly they don't take up too much bar space...

B

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
BadHabit said:
I recall similar designs as heavy.

Possible option is Avenir ends; they use narrower clamps. At one time, Avenir marketed titanium ends.
The Answer barends are relatively light. So light I dented and crushed a few pairs many years ago. Good luck finding a pair.

Jason, any interest in Scott AT bars? They're narrow and have the bar ends built on 'em already. Can't run any kind of gripshifters on them however.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
You can have these if you want...

They're JUST over 1/2" at the clamp. I cut them to stubbies, but free to try... They were marketed by Profile/Fisher/TransX like 5-7 years ago. As I recall they were the thinest I could find (I had the same issue a few years back). PM me and they're in your hands this weekend (in VT).

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Singletrack Solutions.

Back when I also thought I liked narrowish handlebars, these helped keep the bars abou the same width.
The shape is such that they don't take up hand space unless you hand half your hand hanging off the edge of the bar.
Try a Mary bar though. Not overly wide, but no need to swap hand positions betwen grips and barends, for general riding and climing/sprinting. Although, you do get nice extra positions a flat bar doesn't offer... It's the new way, and 29" approved :)

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drevil said:
The Answer barends are relatively light. So light I dented and crushed a few pairs many years ago. Good luck finding a pair.

Jason, any interest in Scott AT bars? They're narrow and have the bar ends built on 'em already. Can't run any kind of gripshifters on them however.
those answer barends may be... the answer! i can't seem to find them new anywhere, are they 'vintage'?

those scott bars sort of suck because of the bend area where it goes from bar to barend is sort of useless. way back when i had the ones that connect again up front, AT-4 i think.

maybe worth trying if i can dig up a pair at the shop.

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WEBERTIME said:
They're JUST over 1/2" at the clamp. I cut them to stubbies, but free to try... They were marketed by Profile/Fisher/TransX like 5-7 years ago. As I recall they were the thinest I could find (I had the same issue a few years back). PM me and they're in your hands this weekend (in VT).
nice dog! i will send a PM now. those might be the ticket, hard to tell from the pic. the dog is distracting, in a handsome thoughtful, sorta-cross-eyed way.

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
donkey said:
And If I'm gonna eat candy on a ride.....you can be damn sure it's gonna be either toblerone or a take 5 bar.

As for your bar ends.....find some of the old Answer barends that actually insert into the ends of your bars....If I remember correctly they don't take up too much bar space...

B
i will check out those old answer bar ends if i can find some.

for candy: try Kinder Cereali if you like the Euro chocolate. or any Kinder product for that matter. sort of nutella-ish. brings back childhood memories from europe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.