Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Plays nice with others
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering a Salsa Vaya and notice the 2011 is offered in two builds. One has integrated brake/shift levers, and the other has bar-end shifters. Anybody care to break down the pros and cons of each type of shifter? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
STI/Integrated shifters are more 'ergonomic' and you dont have to move your hands to shift. For long-haul touring purposes they are a little more fragile, and much harder to trouble shoot if you have problems with them.

Bar end shifters are super-agricultural, you are never having an issue with them, and if you do, can could probably fix it pretty easily with basic tools. You DO have to move your hands around to shift though.

I have bar-ends on my Fargo, and I actually really like them. Really clean shifts, and it's nice to be able to trim the front derailleur - never get rub regardless of what gear I am in.

There you go.

·
Plays nice with others
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macbeth said:
STI/Integrated shifters are more 'ergonomic' and you dont have to move your hands to shift. For long-haul touring purposes they are a little more fragile, and much harder to trouble shoot if you have problems with them.

Bar end shifters are super-agricultural, you are never having an issue with them, and if you do, can could probably fix it pretty easily with basic tools. You DO have to move your hands around to shift though.

I have bar-ends on my Fargo, and I actually really like them. Really clean shifts, and it's nice to be able to trim the front derailleur - never get rub regardless of what gear I am in.

There you go.
Thanks. I like the idea of them being simple, reliable and easy to repair, since the bike will be seeing some sketchy rides. But would they also be a hindrance on those same rough roads, as I'd have to take my hand off the bars to shift?

You ride them on your Fargo. Do you ever have problems with not being able to shift when you need to because you're busy controlling your bike?

·
rth009
986 Posts
Shep Huntwood said:
I'm seriously considering a Salsa Vaya and notice the 2011 is offered in two builds. One has integrated brake/shift levers, and the other has bar-end shifters.
The Long Tour Vaya with a triple crankset and bar end shifters was a typo in the catalog. It will not exist unless you buy the charcoal frame and build it.

·
Plays nice with others
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rth009 said:
The Long Tour Vaya with a triple crankset and bar end shifters was a typo in the catalog. It will not exist unless you buy the charcoal frame and build it.
Thanks. I'm planning on building my own up anyway, but that's good to know. Now if I could only get one of my bike shops to work with me on getting info about ordering a frame when they become available.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have brifters on my Fargo and I'm convinced that the bike would be a lot less suitable for my use with bar end shifters. I often ride narrow and sometimes fairly technical singletrack and would not want to move my hand(s) away from an "in control" position just to shift gears.

However, many people are like bar end shifters and they are more reliable. Personally I now that I'm not going to spend weeks in a third world country with the Fargo, and hence the reliability is no issue for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Shep Huntwood said:
Thanks. I like the idea of them being simple, reliable and easy to repair, since the bike will be seeing some sketchy rides. But would they also be a hindrance on those same rough roads, as I'd have to take my hand off the bars to shift?

You ride them on your Fargo. Do you ever have problems with not being able to shift when you need to because you're busy controlling your bike?
I definitely find that there are times in rough terrain when I end up in the wrong gear cause I am hanging on and just CAN'T move my hands to shift.... You get really good at looking ahead and selecting gears in advance..... I don't really race my Fargo though, so I am never really in that much of a rush that I care, and it is SO easy to dump 9 gears with barend shifters.....

I do have SRAM Force shifters on my La Cruz, and it's definitely way easier to shift that thing it the rough.... Depends what you wanna use the bike for really....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.