Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an On-One Midge holding Shimano Ultegra bar-end shifters, hooked to Shimano Deaore and LX derailleurs.
Shifters are set to friction mode, but shifting between 3re, 4 and 5th gear isn't satisfactory at all. I don't get a click from the shifter, quite opposite the shift between those gear is too smooth.. Thus the derailleur doesn't switch between those gears at the first attempt. I'm sure the problem is in the shifters, because the derailleur and the chain are brand new.

So, can anybody help please? What can be wrong with the the bar-end shifters?

·
Registered
836 Posts
SIS mode gives you the clicks...
I think mine is doing the same thing, but haven't messed w/ it lately to fix it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seat_boy said:
You won't get a click if you're in friction mode. My guess would be your shifter isn't screwed tightly enough together, and is slipping partially into index mode.
Well the shifters are screwed tightly, because otherwise they'll fall apart.

I can''t get them to sit tightly in the handlebars though.. No matter how strongly I try to tighten them, they remain a bit loose (not really loose of course, but I can apply rotate them if I apply a bit of force..). Is that fine?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Zzbog said:
Hello, I have an On-One Midge holding Shimano Ultegra bar-end shifters, hooked to Shimano Deaore and LX derailleurs.
Shifters are set to friction mode, but shifting between 3re, 4 and 5th gear isn't satisfactory at all. I don't get a click from the shifter, quite opposite the shift between those gear is too smooth.. Thus the derailleur doesn't switch between those gears at the first attempt. I'm sure the problem is in the shifters, because the derailleur and the chain are brand new.

So, can anybody help please? What can be wrong with the the bar-end shifters?
I'm runnning Ultegra bar-end shifters on o Midge bar on my El Mariachi.

1. You should be able to get them tight in the bar - mine are fine.

2. Have a look at the red arrow on the side of the shifter - is it set to friction or SIS(indexed i.e. 'clicky')? It should be one or the other.

3. Also, you may be mixing an 8speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette or vice-versa.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I ran a 9spd bar-end shifter on a midge as well, and if you remove the shift lever and tighten the bar insert with an allen it should expand tightly enough to keep the shifter from rotating at all. If you are trying to tighten the shifter by just twisting it in the bar, then I doubt you will get it tight enough. As far as shift accuracy, when I got my used bar-end shifter (just the right side rear shifter), it was not shifting as precisely as I thought it should. While I had the lever off I cleaned everything up and dripped some tri-flow into the shifter, then re-mounted it and moved it back and forth to make sure the assembly was well-lubed. After performing that minor maintenance every shift detent was crisp and that shifter was one of the best and most reliable shifters I have used off-road.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Zzbog said:
I can''t get them to sit tightly in the handlebars though.. No matter how strongly I try to tighten them, they remain a bit loose (not really loose of course, but I can apply rotate them if I apply a bit of force..). Is that fine?
They should be tight. How did you install them? You have to take the levers off, reach into the body with a 6mm Allen wrench and turn the tightening bolt inside the body counterclockwise to tighten it. You do this before you wrap the bar so that the bar-end shifter is attached directly to the handlebar without any bar tape between it and the bar.

I'm really not understanding what you mean when you say
Shifters are set to friction mode, but shifting between 3, 4 and 5th gear isn't satisfactory at all. I don't get a click from the shifter, quite opposite the shift between those gear is too smooth.. Thus the derailleur doesn't switch between those gears at the first attempt. I'm sure the problem is in the shifters, because the derailleur and the chain are brand new.
In friction mode your levers will have no clicks, no stops, nothing. The lever moves with a lot of drag from the friction that stops the levers from moving after you let go of them. If the shifters move after you have shifted then the bolt holding it all together isn't tight enough. It may be tight enough to not fall apart but not tight enough to work.

If it is not moving after you have shifted gears but you are not satisfied with the shifting then maybe you need to work on your shifting technique? If you have never used friction shifting then it can take some getting used to. I know that I had to relearn how to use friction shifters after years and years of using indexing shifting systems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PCC said:
You do this before you wrap the bar so that the bar-end shifter is attached directly to the handlebar without any bar tape between it and the bar.

In friction mode your levers will have no clicks, no stops, nothing. The lever moves with a lot of drag from the friction that stops the levers from moving after you let go of them. If the shifters move after you have shifted then the bolt holding it all together isn't tight enough. It may be tight enough to not fall apart but not tight enough to work.

If you have never used friction shifting then it can take some getting used to.
Well, the strange thing is that my shifters really work with clicks, when set to friction mode and smoothly, when set to SIS. I mean, if nobody believes me, I can record it and post on youtube to get some 100000 views.

I tried the smooth mode today and the chain got torn (first time in my life).

Also, there's really some tape between the shifter and the handlebar tube, which won't let the shifter sit tight... Can it be of a problem??

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Friction shifters don't click. Period. If it is clicking then something is wrong with the shifters. Indexed shifting is where it clicks.

As far as installing the bar-end shifters goes, there should not be anything between the shifter end and the end of the bar that it mounts into. You cut the end of the bar tape at a diagonal and butt it against the side of the bar-end shfiter after it is mounted to the bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts