Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A couple of the guys I ride with each bought a ripmo af. Can't wait for spring weather and the trails to dry out so we can hit some trails and see how they stack up. I've heard nothing but good things about the af, but I love my Titan.
Have you had the chance for a comparison? Currently debating between the two!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I do tend to be in that middle ground between L and XL. But I would assume most people feel "in the middle" like this. Its just with smaller brands like this, its harder to get a bike to sit on/demo in person, so I try to get as much out of reviews like this as I can :).

I'm currently on a Kona Process 153 29'er (2018). It was my first real mountain bike, and I got a great deal on it, but didn't really get a test ride on it before buying. So I bought it without knowing exactly how the bike rode, with the intention to use it as a platform to figure out what my preferences really were (as I didn't really have any yet, and had only ridden ~10yr old XC hardtails, so I had no real geo experience to base my decisions on).

In the past 2 years, the plan has worked. I've found that I struggle with the super short rear end of the Process (425mm chainstays for the 29'er), and am looking for my next bike to be more balanced. This means that I'm looking at bikes like the Titan, Madonna V2, Norco Sight, etc. Bikes that have a much longer rear end, or vary it by frame size/etc.

The Titan looks good, and as you mentioned, it is available, which is a major plus. But, I'm not in any hurry to buy at the moment, and I'm a smidge worried about the long(er) seattube and dropper length (especially if I went for a size XL). And, with the frame being more intricate/etc, I'm curious how it handles wet weather rides.

I know Pinkbike has a Titan in for review at the moment, so I figure if its a problem (wet weather), they'll bring it up, as we've had an incredibly wet start to our year out here.

The Ripmo AF is on my radar as well. But, its comparatively short chainstays have me a bit worried. I should be able to demo that one this year though, so that should help.
What did you end up going with? I’m debating between a ripmo af and titan at the moment

·
Registered
644 Posts
What did you end up going with? I’m debating between a ripmo af and titan at the moment
if you want a better all-rounder or a one-bike quiver, the ripmo will be better for that. closer to the trail bike side of the spectrum.

If you want to climb up fireroads or singletrack just to get to the gnarliest trails you can find, get a titan. Prime is a better comparison to a ripmo af, more of an all-mountain bike, but with the right set up the prime will outshine a lot of 160mm bikes

·
No Clue Crew
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I’d argue the Titan is a better technical climber than the Ripmo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’d argue the Titan is a better technical climber than the Ripmo.
Due to the extra traction of the long wheel base? From what I’ve read the ripmo will feel snappier out of the gate, but people seem to be praising the Titans climbing ability...

·
Registered
644 Posts
^I would trust blatant on that as he’s probably spent more time on both bikes than most people.

the long wheelbase is definitely nice for technical climbing, but if your climbing trails have a lot of tight twists strewn with rocks and roots, the ripmo will feel a little easier to get through. I think the banshees feel far superior on any descent that requires that much suspension, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
^I would trust blatant on that as he’s probably spent more time on both bikes than most people.

the long wheelbase is definitely nice for technical climbing, but if your climbing trails have a lot of tight twists strewn with rocks and roots, the ripmo will feel a little easier to get through. I think the banshees feel far superior on any descent that requires that much suspension, though.
Yeah I’d say I ride 60% fire road and 40% tight twisty rock and root climbs...
My heart wants the banshee my head says ibis ha. Wondering about the shorter stays of the ibis though, as I’d be getting an xl

·
Registered
316 Posts
Demo'd a Rimpo AF. Could be called the Heavy AF. Assguys and heavy wheels didn't help.

If specc'd identically, prolly a wash. Would come down to handling. Ripmo AF is a little more in line with "mainstream' bikes. Not bad, just normal. Banshees need a little more speed to wake em up.

If you go Ibis, you'd still have that Ugly AF bike in your garage every day. Banshee V3s are miles better in quality and aesthetics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Demo'd a Rimpo AF. Could be called the Heavy AF. Assguys and heavy wheels didn't help.

If specc'd identically, prolly a wash. Would come down to handling. Ripmo AF is a little more in line with "mainstream' bikes. Not bad, just normal. Banshees need a little more speed to wake em up.

If you go Ibis, you'd still have that Ugly AF bike in your garage every day. Banshee V3s are miles better in quality and aesthetics.
[/QUOTo

the frame quality/aesthetic of the titan is definitely steps above the ripmo, would way rather have the frame. Unfortunately still no full bikes from banshee at the moment, they’re hoping in a few months but who knows....

·
beater
5,862 Posts
We have a Titan and a Ripmo V2 in our garage- both large. But I'm afraid I don't have any time on the Ripmo aside from a lap around the block. It's my fiance's and she has a much nicer build than I do. Maybe this year after the new bike feeling has worn off...

A couple thoughts on my Titan- I had a prototype Prime and then a Yeti 5.5c. I loved the Prime, and definitely outrode the 34 was was available at the time. But the frame was overbuilt and I wanted something slightly lighter that would be up for all-day rides. For that I wanted a little more relaxed STA and a bigger cockpit. I never loved the Yeti, though. It felt dead unless you were riding flat out. Maybe I should have gotten a large Yeti, but I went XL. It never felt too big, but it never felt fun. The Titan doesn't feel that way to me, despite what some other posters have said about needing speed to bring it to life. It's definitely way more bike than you need on our neighborhood singletrack, but it's still a lot of fun goofing around on easy rides as my fiance comes back to riding fitness. I didn't have any days in bike parks last year, and very few on big terrain. I'm looking forward to fixing that in 2021.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Banshee Titan. I'm sorry to rehash the sizing questions but I feel like I'm right on the edge between L-XL. I'm 6'2.5" with a 34" inseam, similar to the OP, but my arms are +3... Also on the heavier side of riders at 195 lbs. :p I currently ride a size L 2011 Niner RIP 9 with a 60 mm stem, and it definitely feels too small. I will ride a stock size L 2018 Salsa Deadwood on occasion, which feels okay, but it could be bigger. I compared the geo numbers on the L Titan to the bikes I currently ride and they are very similar (especially the ETT), aside from the reach which is quite a bit longer. Am I crazy for thinking a size L Titan would be too small? I ride in the North West if that helps.

·
beater
5,862 Posts
See my post above FWIW. I’m 6’3” with a 33” inseam. I prefer a more upright position, so I think I’m happiest on most frames in a L although I could fit an XL with no drama.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Banshee Titan. I'm sorry to rehash the sizing questions but I feel like I'm right on the edge between L-XL. I'm 6'2.5" with a 34" inseam, similar to the OP, but my arms are +3... Also on the heavier side of riders at 195 lbs. :p I currently ride a size L 2011 Niner RIP 9 with a 60 mm stem, and it definitely feels too small. I will ride a stock size L 2018 Salsa Deadwood on occasion, which feels okay, but it could be bigger. I compared the geo numbers on the L Titan to the bikes I currently ride and they are very similar (especially the ETT), aside from the reach which is quite a bit longer. Am I crazy for thinking a size L Titan would be too small? I ride in the North West if that helps.
I'm 6'3.5" with 34 " inseam and the XL fits fine - running 800 mm bars and a 40mm stem. I ride in the BC Rockies and all my rides involve single-track climbs to earn the descents. Can't imagine riding anything smaller...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well that's good to hear because I ordered the XL in Black. Wanted Raw, but black looks cool. It looked like the ETT way essentially the same as my rip, so decided to size up. I think it will work well for me. What dropper are you tall guys running?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well that's good to hear because I ordered the XL in Black. Wanted Raw, but black looks cool. It looked like the ETT way essentially the same as my rip, so decided to size up. I think it will work well for me. What dropper are you tall guys running?
I'm curious about this same thing.

I'm a bit shorter than you, but with longer legs (6'1, 36in inseam measured from top of pedals, to top of seat above seatpost). And I haven't done any math on the dropper length that you can fit on the L/XL personally (yet, at least). Curious what length of dropper you'll be able to fit.

·
Registered
644 Posts
not a titan but I'm running a 210mm oneup in my XL prime. no issues with fitment as i have it raised another 50ish mm. When fully slammed, i had about 10-15mm of post exposed still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious about this same thing.

I'm a bit shorter than you, but with longer legs (6'1, 36in inseam measured from top of pedals, to top of seat above seatpost). And I haven't done any math on the dropper length that you can fit on the L/XL personally (yet, at least). Curious what length of dropper you'll be able to fit.
Those are some long legs dude, lol. Are you sure you don't want to take up running? Just kidding, running is unfun. Are you on a L or XL? Banshee says 235 mm insertion for L and 270 mm for XL. Looks like a 180 OneUp would fit slammed all the way down in an XL. A 210 would stick out about 27 mm. I'll probably have to wait until I build it and measure it with my old seat post in it.
not a titan but I'm running a 210mm oneup in my XL prime. no issues with fitment as i have it raised another 50ish mm. When fully slammed, i had about 10-15mm of post exposed still.
What is your inseam? Looks like I insertion depth and seat post length are identical for the two models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
this is my 180mm post raised 25mm from fully slammed on a large frame. at full insertion the collar is about 10mm from the top of the seatpost clamp. an xl frame can definitely run a 180 fully inserted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is my 180mm post raised 25mm from fully slammed on a large frame. at full insertion the collar is about 10mm from the top of the seatpost clamp. an xl frame can definitely run a 180 fully inserted.
That's good to know. Makes me think I can get away with a 210 in an XL. How do you like that Bomber Z1?

81 - 100 of 101 Posts