Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,481 Posts
A month or so ago in another MTBR thread I asked Blatant how he was getting on with his Titan. He replied that he changes bikes rather frequently and had let his Titan go.

He added that he regretted doing so.
=sParty

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm a serial bike-swapper. Currently, I have literally zero interest in riding anything else. Except I really want a Phantom.
I built up a V3 Phantom a few weeks back....it's a rad 'little' machine. It's a relatively light build, full XTR, carbon wheels, carbon crank, etc but did opt for a Pike @ 130mm and a DHF/Agg combo....so I'd say less downcountry and more upduro....but with the right tires I think I could race XC on this thing, if I bumped up fork to 140 I think I could race some flowier/pedally enduros on it as it sits now...

It's just a great all-around, do it all bike (for me) here in the PNW. I don't like overthinking things and have been trying to get back into a bike that can kinda do it all....with a slight XC slant since I raced for a few years, this bike ticks a lot of boxes for me.

·
No Clue Crew
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I did sell it. I the interim, I’ve had a Prime, an SB130, the new Enduro and now on a new Fuel EX8.

The Titan is one of the few bikes I regret selling. If I had an opportunity to get back on one I’d take it without a second thought.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did sell it. I the interim, I’ve had a Prime, an SB130, the new Enduro and now on a new Fuel EX8.
Sweet baby jesus - you've had 4 other bikes since the beginning of the year? How do you even have time to get familiar with each of them?

·
Registered
642 Posts
All of this support for the Titan is making me very excited. I usually am more of a one-bike kind of guy, so hearing that it handles that duty well is awesome, but i got a raise and kind of want to really make mine into a big mountain brawler, since most of the riding ill be doing on it is steep, raw, backcountry 30 milers. hence the need for a smaller bike since my weekday rides are like not quite as gnarly haha

I built up a V3 Phantom a few weeks back....it's a rad 'little' machine. It's a relatively light build, full XTR, carbon wheels, carbon crank, etc but did opt for a Pike @ 130mm and a DHF/Agg combo....so I'd say less downcountry and more upduro....but with the right tires I think I could race XC on this thing, if I bumped up fork to 140 I think I could race some flowier/pedally enduros on it as it sits now...

It's just a great all-around, do it all bike (for me) here in the PNW. I don't like overthinking things and have been trying to get back into a bike that can kinda do it all....with a slight XC slant since I raced for a few years, this bike ticks a lot of boxes for me.
Sounds rad. Im looking for a secondary bike to complement the titan, and the phantom sounds like it may be what im looking for but ive heard a few people say that they wish they'd gotten a prime instead just based on the rear travel.

I'm planning on building the titan up with a 170mm lyrik and a coil rear end and having it as my "pedal up long fire roads and drop into very long descents" bike. however, the trails that are close to my house are a bit more fun to ride on a shorter travel bike, as the climbs arent as long and the trails are a bit less gnarly (for the most part...im sure ill still use my titan around here occasionally haha)
but im leaning more towards a Norco optic as it sounds like a bit more fun, while not as good of climber maybe.

·
No Clue Crew
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Sweet baby jesus - you've had 4 other bikes since the beginning of the year? How do you even have time to get familiar with each of them?
I guess I’d say they’re all just bikes. I’m not personally re-inventing the wheel every time I get on a new one.

I had fitment issues in the Prime, so it was gone quickly. The SB130 was really, really meh, so it was gone quickly. I wanted to love the Enduro and I see why people do. For me, sizing was a problem (S4 too small, S5 humongous reach and wheelbase). Been on the Fuel since July, which has turned out to be a rad little bike

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
All of this support for the Titan is making me very excited. I usually am more of a one-bike kind of guy, so hearing that it handles that duty well is awesome, but i got a raise and kind of want to really make mine into a big mountain brawler, since most of the riding ill be doing on it is steep, raw, backcountry 30 milers. hence the need for a smaller bike since my weekday rides are like not quite as gnarly haha

Sounds rad. Im looking for a secondary bike to complement the titan, and the phantom sounds like it may be what im looking for but ive heard a few people say that they wish they'd gotten a prime instead just based on the rear travel.

I'm planning on building the titan up with a 170mm lyrik and a coil rear end and having it as my "pedal up long fire roads and drop into very long descents" bike. however, the trails that are close to my house are a bit more fun to ride on a shorter travel bike, as the climbs arent as long and the trails are a bit less gnarly (for the most part...im sure ill still use my titan around here occasionally haha)
but im leaning more towards a Norco optic as it sounds like a bit more fun, while not as good of climber maybe.
There is an argument for a Prime as a do it all but it's not as rowdy as the Titan on one end and not quite as fast/agile as the Phantom on the other....single bike sure.

I got the Titan since I was planning on racing a bunch of enduros this year including the Whistler EWS 100....obviously didn't happen. In saying that, it's not the bike (IMO) for general riding....much like most true enduro bikes today, they are just super boring for most riding unless you have the trails to push them.

If I had to turn back clock and get a bike I'd ride more, a Prime would probably be it, still very raceable on moderate tracks with a 160 fork, but would get eaten up pretty quick at places like Whistler and some of the more rowdy bike park/trails here in the PNW.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I guess I’d say they’re all just bikes. I’m not personally re-inventing the wheel every time I get on a new one.

I had fitment issues in the Prime, so it was gone quickly. The SB130 was really, really meh, so it was gone quickly. I wanted to love the Enduro and I see why people do. For me, sizing was a problem (S4 too small, S5 humongous reach and wheelbase). Been on the Fuel since July, which has turned out to be a rad little bike
Curious what fitment issues you had on Prime...geo is pretty sim to Titan isn't it?

I've never ridden a SB130 but have ridden several of the older SB4.5, 5.5, etc....always LOVED the way they rode, just never fully trusted the longevity of the frames.

·
No Clue Crew
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I definitely don’t trust Yeti. The last one I really enjoyed was an ancient 575 back in the day.

The Prime thing I detailed on some other thread. I was on a large Titan and, despite the numbers, it fit. I wanted to move down to a do-it-all rig and ordered a large Prime. I can’t explain it, but the bike was too small. It made my lower back really sore. I know from experience, for me sore low back means either the seat angle is too slack or the bike is too small.

If I went for another Prime, it would be XL.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Question for those running a Storia on their Titan. For info I'm 88kg and running a 400lb spring on my Storia. I had to have the rebound sped up soon after buying the coil, it was packing on multiple hits. Even now with the rebound opened up I'm still fully open on the dial.
My question is potentially related to HSC on this coil. Most of the time it is great, shedloads of grip and feel, but on occasion at the top of its stroke when the rear wheel hits a square edge the shock feels like it spikes and can't get out of the way quick enough. On repeated hits or when the shock is more into its travel this spiking feeling is not there which then opens up the possibility this is more a linkage thing than a valving issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Question for those running a Storia on their Titan. For info I'm 88kg and running a 400lb spring on my Storia. I had to have the rebound sped up soon after buying the coil, it was packing on multiple hits. Even now with the rebound opened up I'm still fully open on the dial.
My question is potentially related to HSC on this coil. Most of the time it is great, shedloads of grip and feel, but on occasion at the top of its stroke when the rear wheel hits a square edge the shock feels like it spikes and can't get out of the way quick enough. On repeated hits or when the shock is more into its travel this spiking feeling is not there which then opens up the possibility this is more a linkage thing than a valving issue. Any thoughts?
I'm not far off your weight @ 85kgs. I think I got a 400 & 425 spring, I believe I'm on the 425. The rebound only has something like 7 clicks but feel like, at least for me, it's a wide enough adjustment range I can get a good feeling, i think I'm like 1/2 way on the clicks....

What kind of riding are you doing?

May just be design of frame, I don't feel like it's the most small bump compliant bike out there but it does everything pretty good.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm not far off your weight @ 85kgs. I think I got a 400 & 425 spring, I believe I'm on the 425. The rebound only has something like 7 clicks but feel like, at least for me, it's a wide enough adjustment range I can get a good feeling, i think I'm like 1/2 way on the clicks....

What kind of riding are you doing?

May just be design of frame, I don't feel like it's the most small bump compliant bike out there but it does everything pretty good.
I had a 425 spring on there for a few rides, this gave me about 28% sag and the 400 gives me approx 31% sag. I felt the 400 gave slightly better compliance so just left it on there.

Riding is varied from fast flowy lines with berms and jumps to rocky, natural smashfest terrain. We don't have many extended steep runs over 3mins as we don't have the elevation but I pretty much ride everything we have available.

·
Registered
28 Posts

i had dm’d you tuber mtbtelly a while back about the difference between the optic and the phantom (he has ridden both) and per his experience the phantom was notably more capable and snappier.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm 75kg so running a lighter spring (350), and sag is bang-on Banshee's recommended sag. The rebound configuration on the Storia is also a little weird for me, but I didn't want to send it back while the riding season was rolling, so I'm waiting for the re-tune because it isn't really that far off for me. In my experience, the LSR and HSR are a bit too close (with LSR too slow), so to get the LSR fast enough I start getting a kicking sensation from the HSR.

Rebound setup doesn't sound like the issue in your case, though I am very surprised you're still running it full-fast and liking it. To me, the Titan hasn't been the best on square edge hits, nor have many other enduro bikes that pedal well...something about the higher levels of anti-squat maybe, I'm not sure. I'd suspect that some of the harshness you're getting may have to do with running your HSC and LSC too high. Have you tried backing each one off (one at a time) by 2 clicks and riding the same section where you're feeling the spiking sensation? Might help you diagnose what you're feeling, whether it's the shock or not.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm 75kg so running a lighter spring (350), and sag is bang-on Banshee's recommended sag. The rebound configuration on the Storia is also a little weird for me, but I didn't want to send it back while the riding season was rolling, so I'm waiting for the re-tune because it isn't really that far off for me. In my experience, the LSR and HSR are a bit too close (with LSR too slow), so to get the LSR fast enough I start getting a kicking sensation from the HSR.

Rebound setup doesn't sound like the issue in your case, though I am very surprised you're still running it full-fast and liking it. To me, the Titan hasn't been the best on square edge hits, nor have many other enduro bikes that pedal well...something about the higher levels of anti-squat maybe, I'm not sure. I'd suspect that some of the harshness you're getting may have to do with running your HSC and LSC too high. Have you tried backing each one off (one at a time) by 2 clicks and riding the same section where you're feeling the spiking sensation? Might help you diagnose what you're feeling, whether it's the shock or not.

I have HSC 14 out from closed (basically fully open) and LSC 7 out.
I've been playing around with preload on the 400 spring trying to ascertain if sitting higher or lower makes a difference to that off the top impact but haven't made any real progress there.

There's a Sprindex 380-430lb spring available, thinking about putting one on then I can mess around with all settings more thoroughly on one ride and that should indicate more clearly if the shock needs a revalve or it is the linkage design.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been playing around with preload on the 400 spring trying to ascertain if sitting higher or lower makes a difference to that off the top impact but haven't made any real progress there.

There's a Sprindex 380-430lb spring available, thinking about putting one on then I can mess around with all settings more thoroughly on one ride and that should indicate more clearly if the shock needs a revalve or it is the linkage design.
Ah then I may have another solution for you...try adding HSC. I'm running my HSC quite high and liking it, and while I do feel some harshness on square hits, its not any worse than most other modern enduro bikes like I mentioned before. My logic is, if you're running too little HSC, hitting a square edge (basically the definition of an acute, high-speed event) is blowing through the travel to the point that you're running into the hydraulic bottom out. More HSC = more control of those types of hits...in theory. Can't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Jump up to a 425 spring, you don't wanna pre-load the spring too much, ideally, hardly any at all or it will get harsh.

If you are full open on HSC you need a revalve....although sometimes a fully open compression circuit can be more harsh then one with some compression added back in...same can be said for a spring that is too light with a lot of pre-load vs a heavier spring with very little or none.

I also believe rider height plays into spring weight, if you are on cusp of spring weight based on sag, being a taller rider may put you in the next spring bracket since you'll be able to put more leverage on bike. An old moto tuner taught me that...or at least that is how he tunes motos relative to spring rates and sag requirements.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i had dm’d you tuber mtbtelly a while back about the difference between the optic and the phantom (he has ridden both) and per his experience the phantom was notably more capable and snappier.
More capable as in downhill terrain? or a more capable climber?
Im self-described "pretty ok" at climbing so I'm willing to take a bit of a hit on climbing performance if the downhill performance is superior...

also ive seen this asked elsewhere but no one seems to have an answer thus far, does anyone have time on both the new enduro and the titan?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
This brings up an important point about ergonomics

You really want to be riding so that your relaxed posture results in your hands being neutrally weighted on the bars (no weight pressing down or pulling back), this will give you best base position to move from to adjust to the trail and least fatigue.

Take away from this... reach is important, but so is stack (this includes headset spacers and bar rise etc). The balance between the 2 is as big a factor as overall sizing. So think beyond the numbers on a geometry chart.
I hear this. I recently picked up an aggressive hardtail-long, low, slack. I expected my old back and knees to be sore but my wrists, elbows and shoulders start hurting 10-15 mins into the ride. I’ve tried a shorter stem, more rise and sweep on my bars and the 160mm fork set way softer than it should be but none of that seems to have helped. Anyway, once I can sell it I’m thinking about picking up a Titan or a Prime. Very informative thread.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts