Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yep, I owned a carbon Capra 29. I really enjoyed that bike downhill. Picked up and carried speed, racy but not too firm, it felt really fast. Until you had to climb. At which time, I generally prepared to have my lunch eaten. And it was.

I did set a bunch of DH PRs on that bike at that time. I’ve since topped all those on the Banshee and didn’t get destroyed on the climbs.

·
No Clue Crew
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I wanted to circle back around to my personal experiences with high and low setting on the Titan.

As I reported above, I started in low and a couple weeks back swapped to the high position. I immediately noticed snappier pedaling and a real different body position on the bike. Also, perhaps very slightly increased weight over the front tire, which helped in turns.

Definitely a markedly different feeling, but one I got used to quickly.

However, I began noting a lot of feedback through my upper body. So much so, I actually posted a thread on the suspension forum questioning my Lyrik setup. I was getting significant pain in both wrists and feedback through my arms into my shoulder girdle, resulting in really sore (but not painful) shoulder joints.

As an experiment, making no other changes to the fork or suspension setup at all, I dropped the bike back into the low position, where I've been riding it for the last 10 days or so.

The result? No more wrist or shoulder pain.

Obviously an anecdotal experience, but something worth considering.

I've owned a lot of bikes with geo chips. Generally, the differences are pretty subtle. In fact, on may of them (new Stumpy, new Hightower, Capra, etc.), I found I preferred the higher set if for no other reason than BB height.

On the Titan, the geo chips make a significant and noticeable difference. It's really like two bikes in one. I definitely do prefer the low position on this bike. It just feels natural.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I wanted to circle back around to my personal experiences with high and low setting on the Titan.

As I reported above, I started in low and a couple weeks back swapped to the high position. I immediately noticed snappier pedaling and a real different body position on the bike. Also, perhaps very slightly increased weight over the front tire, which helped in turns.

Definitely a markedly different feeling, but one I got used to quickly.

However, I began noting a lot of feedback through my upper body. So much so, I actually posted a thread on the suspension forum questioning my Lyrik setup. I was getting significant pain in both wrists and feedback through my arms into my shoulder girdle, resulting in really sore (but not painful) shoulder joints.

As an experiment, making no other changes to the fork or suspension setup at all, I dropped the bike back into the low position, where I've been riding it for the last 10 days or so.

The result? No more wrist or shoulder pain.

Obviously an anecdotal experience, but something worth considering.

I've owned a lot of bikes with geo chips. Generally, the differences are pretty subtle. In fact, on may of them (new Stumpy, new Hightower, Capra, etc.), I found I preferred the higher set if for no other reason than BB height.

On the Titan, the geo chips make a significant and noticeable difference. It's really like two bikes in one. I definitely do prefer the low position on this bike. It just feels natural.
This brings up an important point about ergonomics

Switching to high setting increases reach and steepens up angles. The discomfort is a result of more weight than you are used to on your hands when you are riding. you can learn to adapt to this over time by changing riding posture slightly, or by simply running higher bar height to cancel the change out and find that ergonomic fit.

You really want to be riding so that your relaxed posture results in your hands being neutrally weighted on the bars (no weight pressing down or pulling back), this will give you best base position to move from to adjust to the trail and least fatigue.

This is one of the reasons that i strongly disagree with bikes with super long reach. In fact I noticed one of the industry guys who has really been pushing super long reach for a long time runs very short stem, and bars with 16 degree sweep, plus runs his fork softer than recommended... all of these things are to relieve pressure on hands... although would easily be avoided by not riding a bike that has excessively long reach!

Take away from this... reach is important, but so is stack (this includes headset spacers and bar rise etc). The balance between the 2 is as big a factor as overall sizing. So think beyond the numbers on a geometry chart.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
This brings up an important point about ergonomics

Switching to high setting increases reach and steepens up angles. The discomfort is a result of more weight than you are used to on your hands when you are riding. you can learn to adapt to this over time by changing riding posture slightly, or by simply running higher bar height to cancel the change out and find that ergonomic fit.

You really want to be riding so that your relaxed posture results in your hands being neutrally weighted on the bars (no weight pressing down or pulling back), this will give you best base position to move from to adjust to the trail and least fatigue.

This is one of the reasons that i strongly disagree with bikes with super long reach. In fact I noticed one of the industry guys who has really been pushing super long reach for a long time runs very short stem, and bars with 16 degree sweep, plus runs his fork softer than recommended... all of these things are to relieve pressure on hands... although would easily be avoided by not riding a bike that has excessively long reach!

Take away from this... reach is important, but so is stack (this includes headset spacers and bar rise etc). The balance between the 2 is as big a factor as overall sizing. So think beyond the numbers on a geometry chart.
Good feedback! This has been my experience as well aka balanced approach, moderate stem, proper suspension setup, etc.

Any opinions on the Trust Shout fork and how the bike rides with it? I just got my Titan frame and building it up and have a Shout ready to go.....

·
No Clue Crew
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I know there's a lot of negative in the world right now.

I just wanted to post a positive: I'm still in love with the Titan.

Fortunate to still be riding just as much here in Phoenix, although only solo now, no group rides. The Titan has been my only bike for three months; I can't remember a time in the last 10 years when I've had only one bike for that length of time.

It's very easily the best bike I've ever owned. It's more than capable of destroying the raddest terrain you can find, yet it doubles as an everyday trail bike that's happy to just pedal around.

My only two real negative points currently: I'd like to see more seat post insertion depth and I wish Banshee would change the tooling on the dropouts to native 180 post mount.

That's the best I can do. This bike kills it.

IMG_0729 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

·
flailer
161 Posts
When I ordered my frame, I had originally ordered a red one. I am glad it to raw. It looks amazing with the clear coat and draws compliments everywhere.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My only two real negative points currently: I'd like to see more seat post insertion depth and I wish Banshee would change the tooling on the dropouts to native 180 post mount.
I agree on these two points as being the only negatives I've encountered as well. The brake mount isn't that big of deal to me but post mount is superior.

The seat post insertion is a bit of an issue. 2-3 years ago it would have been fine but with longer droppers and steeper seat tube angles that in my opinion require a longer dropper as the seat is more central and in the way, well more insertion would be great.

Unfortunately the Fox Float X2 that came on my frame needed some warranty work so I haven't really been able to ride my bike on anything other than dirt jumps but I can tell it's going to be rad everywhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You've pretty much made up my mind. Once I get back stateside building one up is my new project. Onyx 170 and a Topaz 3, I think it'll be a match made in buttery heaven. I'm thinking I'll actually be on a medium on this frame. It seems more in line size wise as my large Honzo and Process 153. The Paradox seems super rad too.

·
No Clue Crew
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm a serial bike-swapper. Currently, I have literally zero interest in riding anything else. Except I really want a Phantom.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Love the review! I've been lusting after one of these Titans as an eventual replacement for my trail bike.

Side note... if you put a "U.S." sticker next to the word Titan it says Tit Anus, which is another strong argument for picking up a Titan.

·
unrooted
1,214 Posts
I still like my 2013 Prime...but I’m certainly intrigued in the longer travel, more upright seattube and longer reach of the Titan...I’m 6’5” so I’d get an XL.

My prime has a -2 degree headset and 160mm fork, so its unlikely anyone could compare how the Titan would feel relative to my bike, too bad these are practically impossible to demo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like this review on the Titan and have to agree, it's a great frame.
I have a 27.5" Banshee Legend for downhill duties and have gone from a medium Pole EVO150 (set up as a 29er) to a large Titan V3.

Even though I went for a large Titan the reach on the specs was slightly shorter than the Pole which was a concern. I like how the Legend rode so I was hoping/expecting the Titan to ride well too.

All my parts from the Pole went on the Titan as they were in very good condition. Except the dropper as they're different sizes.
My set up for anyone wanting a comparison.
Titan V3 Large, Stealth Black.
170mm Lyrik RC2 with Charger 2 damper.
EXT Storia Lok V3 shock. (stock Fox Performance was great, I'm just a sucker for a coil shock on a trail bike)
X01 Eagle drive train.
Code brakes with 200mm rotors.
Spank Vibrocore wheels with Hex Drive Hubs.
Spank Vibrocore 35mm bars (uncut at 820mm wide)
Spank Spike 33 grips. (which make the bars 840mm wide for clearance)
KS 175mm dropper post.

3 months in and I have no regrets at all.

I'm not too fussed on weight as I'm not light anyway and I am certainly no climber. That being said, I found the Titan to be great for climbing be it technical, gradual, steep or long fire road climbs. It pedals efficiently in my mind and I usually leave the rear shock in full open position even with the EXT.

The Titan sits higher at the front than the Pole and I have found this to be a big bonus for both general comfort when climbing, riding flat or undulating terrain but also when descending. This bike just adds to your confidence when descending be it a flowing track, steep or rocky one. It descends like a DH bike.

I've noticed a willingness to hit rocky sections faster and more confidently. I am also not a confident jumper yet since being on this frame I have also noticed a willingness to try more drops and jumps. It has definitely aided in progression which is great as I'm an old man with a young mindset. It just feels that good.

I could only run a 150mm dropper on the Pole which I wasn't overly happy about. The Titan allows me to run the 175mm dropper which I love as it gets my seat down around the same height as on my Legend.

My frame came with compact rear dropouts as there was no choice where I purchased it from. I had no idea what it would come with until it arrived. I rode it with the compact dropouts in the low position to give that slightly slacker head angle and as far as how it rode I have no complaints. I run Onza Aquila 2.4 tyres (as I did on the Pole)and my only issue was that stones were getting caught in the tread and scraping through the top of the rear swingarm. I changed the dropouts to the high position but it gave minimal extra clearance and I still had the problem.

I've since purchased a set of long dropouts which I run in the low position and I have had no issues at all.

I feel the reach on the Titan suits me very well (I'm 6 foot)and I have had no problem with sore hands or shoulders although I used to get sore shoulders sometimes on the Pole. Cockpit is a very individual thing with many variables coming in to play. Bar width, sweep and rise along with where you rotate them to. Grip choice and brake lever positioning etc. Personally I feel the Vibrocore bars do help as I, my son and a mate all noticed a difference even back with 31.8 bars. Each to their own though.

Over all, this is one very capable bike which I am more than happy with. It climbs, it descends, it can corner, jump and soak up drops with ease. Probably the biggest plus for me was how it helped my confidence right from the start.

If a long travel 29er is they type of bike you're looking for, I would recommend you consider a Titan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Little thing to make you laugh, was looking at toddle strider bikes the other day (I have a 5 month old son and am keen to get him on 2 wheels as soon as he can walk), and I came across one brand that promotes the fact that their strider bikes have 35mm bar clamp diameter! haha
Get him a Spawn Tengu run bike! It has a rear hand brake and throw on some off road tires. It is amazing to see little dudes running and coasting their bikes on singletrack.

I’m waiting for my Paradox V3 to arrive and now I think the Titan will be replacing my custom long shocked Transition Smuggler!

I also like to experiment with mullet setups and have had great success on my SBG Smuggler so looking forward to seeing how the Paradox is with a 27.5 on the back.

Can’t wait to join the Banshee family!

Cheers!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Any update from blatant?
wondering if this is still your only bike, and how you're continuing to get along with it.
I'm currently on a wreckoning LB with a -1.5 angleset but planning to order a titan before the end of the year, and then hopefully a phantom a few months into 2021.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any update from blatant?
wondering if this is still your only bike, and how you're continuing to get along with it.
I'm currently on a wreckoning LB with a -1.5 angleset but planning to order a titan before the end of the year, and then hopefully a phantom a few months into 2021.
Not the guy you're asking for, but I've been running the Titan as my only bike for about a year now and still absolutely loving it. Bearings are all still in good shape despite fairly hostile riding conditions for 2/3 of the year (PNW). Have had a few folks from this thread and the other Titan thread PM me to ask about specific stuff, happy to answer questions as helpful.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Any update from blatant?
Not sure if it helps but I have a V3 Titan w/Storia rear shock and a Trust linkage fork and just recently got a V3 Phantom w/DPX2 and Pike Ultimate. Both really lovely bikes, no drama, work well, well made and intelligently designed.

Let me know if you have any questions....

41 - 60 of 101 Posts