Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

621 - 637 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
My XL frame should be arriving at the end of this week so i'll be beating the crap out of it all weekend. very excited. welcome back Blatant!

Do people generally get along with the performance X2 on there?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
ill probably get a dhx2 for it closer to summer as i love that shock on my prime.
If you're spending more than $600, consider having Craig from Avalanche build you a custom tuned Bomber CR...he builds them from stock parts from Fox & custom tunes to your frame/ weight/ riding style. Hopefully mine makes it here next week along with the damper for my Yari. Looking forward to being back on Avy tuned suspension.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Potato pic, but wow...had enough time for a quick 1 hour ride and its so good. Going to rack up some miles on it this weekend before i spew all kinds of words about it.

Also yes i know my stem is long, but it helps me keep the front end weighted.

·
beater
5,862 Posts
I’m expecting a new rim tomorrow, so hopefully my shop will be rebuilding mine in a week or so. I think we’re still waiting on a derailleur. I can’t wait to ride skinny tires again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry guys, I've read everything a couple of months ago just for fun but now I'm really gonna buy a Titan....don't have a couple of days to read it all again! hehe

I'm about 184 cm tall so I would be on a Large Titan. However, the large seems a bit small...

Large Banshee Titan: 470 reach, 644 stack, 623 top tube, 455 seat tube, 1265 wheelbase.
XL Banshee Titan: 495 reach, 653 stack, 650 top tube, 490 seat tube,1293 wheelbase.
I had a Large 2020 Knolly Warden LT: 500 reach, 599 stack, 660 top tube, 456 seat tube, 1252.5 wheelbase.
Tried an XL 2020 Norco Sight: 515 reach, 630 stack, 649 top tube, 465 seat tube, 1301 wheelbase.

40mm stem was a bit short so I've put a 50mm on the Large Knolly.
40mm stem on the XL Norco Sight was perfect. 1301mm wheelbase was a bit long but maybe I would get used to it pretty fast!?
XL Norco Sight seems to be like the XL Titan except for the longer seat tube, which I don't think I care.
Seat tube angle is similar but a BIT steeper on the Banshee so even closer to the handlebar.

We have a lot of twisty trails here in Eastern Canada so that's the only reason why I'm not sure about going with the XL! My first 29er as I didn't like them as much as 27.5 in berms and little jumps in the trail so I would like to have the shorter wheelbase (about the same as my last 27.5 bike) of the large but 470mm reach and 623mm top tube are what I had back in the days with 50 or 60mm stem. The problem with those was my knees touching the handlebar. Do you think that having a lot more stack (at least 45mm) than on my previous bikes would help to prevent this? My back wouldn't mind a more upright position. I really want to go with a 40 or 50mm stem, no 60mm! :(

I remember some of you going with an XL at 6'1'' but the majority were on a large with a 50 or maybe even 60mm stem, right? Do you regret your choice? I really need your advices please (and yeah, I'll also ask Banshee about it)!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
View attachment 1919401

Potato pic, but wow...had enough time for a quick 1 hour ride and its so good. Going to rack up some miles on it this weekend before i spew all kinds of words about it.

Also yes i know my stem is long, but it helps me keep the front end weighted.
that is a HIGH front end. perhaps some lower rise bars would help keep the front end weighted as well? unless it’s for ergonomic issues like wrist pain or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry guys, I've read everything a couple of months ago just for fun but now I'm really gonna buy a Titan....don't have a couple of days to read it all again! hehe

I'm about 184 cm tall so I would be on a Large Titan. However, the large seems a bit small...

Large Banshee Titan: 470 reach, 644 stack, 623 top tube, 455 seat tube, 1265 wheelbase.
XL Banshee Titan: 495 reach, 653 stack, 650 top tube, 490 seat tube,1293 wheelbase.
I had a Large 2020 Knolly Warden LT: 500 reach, 599 stack, 660 top tube, 456 seat tube, 1252.5 wheelbase.
Tried an XL 2020 Norco Sight: 515 reach, 630 stack, 649 top tube, 465 seat tube, 1301 wheelbase.

40mm stem on the XL Norco Sight was perfect. 1301mm wheelbase was a bit long but maybe I would get used to it pretty fast!?
XL Norco Sight seems to be like the XL Titan except for the longer seat tube, which I don't think I care.
Seat tube angle is similar but a BIT steeper on the Banshee so even closer to the handlebar.

We have a lot of twisty trails here in Eastern Canada so that's the only reason why I'm not sure about going with the XL! My first 29er as I didn't like them as much as 27.5 in berms and little jumps in the trail so I would like to have the shorter wheelbase (about the same as my last 27.5 bike) of the large but 470mm reach and 623mm top tube are what I had back in the days with 50 or 60mm stem. The problem with those was my knees touching the handlebar. Do you think that having a lot more stack (at least 45mm) than on my previous bikes would help to prevent this? My back wouldn't mind a more upright position. I really want to go with a 40 or 50mm stem, no 60mm! :(

I remember some of you going with an XL at 6'1'' but the majority were on a large with a 50 or maybe even 60mm stem, right? Do you regret your choice? I really need your advices please (and yeah, I'll also ask Banshee about it)!!
My thoughts at 6'1: Had a Phantom v3 Large first for some months, switched to XL Phantom v3. Both with 40mm stem (I prefer this stem length).
I much prefer the XL. Still very maneuverable, but more balanced. For me the perfect trail bike now.
In the XL I have 10 mm more spacers under the stem and the saddle is all the way forward. I think if you increase reach you need a higher bar.

The seat post insertion on the banshees is limited. Something to keep in mind esp. on a bike Like the Titan.

·
Registered
644 Posts
that is a HIGH front end. perhaps some lower rise bars would help keep the front end weighted as well? unless it’s for ergonomic issues like wrist pain or something.
Haha no, just helps in the steeps. i used to run a 20mm rise bar and it always felt like i was fighting the bikes, so moved up to 50mm and its great. everyone who has tried my bike has put a higher rise bar on their bike. definitely looks goofy though

·
Registered
384 Posts

You could absolutely get away with the XL, but I'm your same height and went L on Banshee's recommendation. The XL might have been nice if I lived somewhere like Colorado with more wide open riding, but I can't really imagine wanting something much bigger for where I live now (Pacific Northwest). 470mm reach does sound short, but I'm running mine with a 50mm stem and have no complaints. I came off of a Transition Sentinel with 485mm reach and a 40mm stem, so its a small difference in the end.

To your question about stack, I used to always think that I preferred a lower stack height, but I like the upright position, and the higher stack does definitely change the fit relative to something with a lower stack but longer reach. I would say the longer reach and taller stack make the bike fit a bit larger than you might think.

I'm not an expert, but I think you'd likely find adjusting to a bike as long as the XL pretty tough if you live somewhere with tight trails. A near-1300mm wheelbase is no joke if your trails are genuinely tight. That said, I have fairly average proportions for someone of my height, if you're enjoying a 515mm reach XL Sight, you may have a long torso and need the stretched out reach. With the longer chainstays on the Titan, I find I'm able to ride very centered on the bike and therefore don't need a longer reach. With shorter chainstays I have to shift my weight more forward to get weight onto the front wheel given the disproportionately rearward bias, and I typically appreciate the extra room to move afforded by the longer reach.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Haha no, just helps in the steeps. i used to run a 20mm rise bar and it always felt like i was fighting the bikes, so moved up to 50mm and its great. everyone who has tried my bike has put a higher rise bar on their bike. definitely looks goofy though
understood. i normally run a 35-40mm rise bar on most of my bikes but i found the stack height on the titan to be sufficiently high so i was able to downsize to a 20mm bar.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just finished building my Large Titan up! Had a few rides and loving it so far.

Chromag BA wheels,
Double down tires,
SLX drivetrain,
Praxis carbon cranks w/30t ring,
Lyric ultimate 170mm,
180mm one up post,
One up pedals, bars and stem,
Saint leavers, Zee calipers and 200mm rotors.

·
Registered
845 Posts
For EXT Storia users.
The coil as supplied from EXT was over damped and under sprung. I'm 88-90kg and they recommended a spring in the range of 375 - 425lbs. The bike was good over most terrain but high speed chatter felt rough and uncontrolled and some square edge hits were just dealt with very poorly.
I have since had the rebound opened up twice and the supplied compression tune of medium hard lightened up to a medium tune. I've also gone up to a 450 spring. The difference is night and day. I'm not sure how they work out their 'custom' tunes but they were way out on this one. Grip levels and composure over all terrain is better. It recovers much quicker back to the top of its stroke and has a suppleness to it that the original configuration wasn't near.
In the future I may go even lighter with the comnpression tune but for now I'm super happy with the positive change the new tune has made. I'll keep my bike now too as I was beginning to think it was a linkage based issue...turns out it was just a poorly tuned shock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For EXT Storia users.
Hey Springs, is this EXT Australia who have done the tune? I'd be keen to hear the details of it as I run my damping full open and would be keen to try a different tune. I'm 85kg and like the 425 spring. Have been thinking about a sprindex for it.

cheers

·
Registered
307 Posts
For EXT Storia users.
The coil as supplied from EXT was over damped and under sprung. I'm 88-90kg and they recommended a spring in the range of 375 - 425lbs. The bike was good over most terrain but high speed chatter felt rough and uncontrolled and some square edge hits were just dealt with very poorly.
I have since had the rebound opened up twice and the supplied compression tune of medium hard lightened up to a medium tune. I've also gone up to a 450 spring. The difference is night and day. I'm not sure how they work out their 'custom' tunes but they were way out on this one. Grip levels and composure over all terrain is better. It recovers much quicker back to the top of its stroke and has a suppleness to it that the original configuration wasn't near.
In the future I may go even lighter with the comnpression tune but for now I'm super happy with the positive change the new tune has made. I'll keep my bike now too as I was beginning to think it was a linkage based issue...turns out it was just a poorly tuned shock.
I had one in my bike that my lbs sent me to try and I didn’t like it regarding my DVO Topaz ,it’s like you describe it but it’s hard to say that an EXT it’s not working properly when everybody says good things about it ,nice to hear the same thing from another Titan owner.For the record :73 kg (160 pounds) rider and a 350 spring

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hey Springs, is this EXT Australia who have done the tune? I'd be keen to hear the details of it as I run my damping full open and would be keen to try a different tune. I'm 85kg and like the 425 spring. Have been thinking about a sprindex for it.

cheers
Yeah Chris at EXT Aus retuned it. He may be able to find out what tune is in yours with the serial number as EXT in Italy are pretty anal with keeping records otherwise he will need to open it for a look. I fitted the 450-500 Sprindex to mine. I was also running all damping completely open prior to the tune.

I had one in my bike that my lbs sent me to try and I didn’t like it regarding my DVO Topaz ,it’s like you describe it but it’s hard to say that an EXT it’s not working properly when everybody says good things about it ,nice to hear the same thing from another Titan owner.For the record :73 kg (160 pounds) rider and a 350 spring
The Storia should have felt better than the Topaz imo so that's a good indication it was valved incorrectly for the application.

621 - 637 of 637 Posts