Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

561 - 580 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Fromt centre top of seat post to centre of bars (50mm stem with 10mm spacer beneath) is 680mm.
Thank you so much man, this is super helpful (y).

My kona has a super slack actual STA (67 degrees), so I was worried that my "actual effective top tube" was a lot longer than the frame measurements would say at my saddle height.

Looks like depending on exactly where I say the middle of the bar is (stem clamp center, or horizontal center), my bike has a measurement of ~673 - 692mm, also with a 50mm stem. So seems safe to say that the Titan wouldn't feel compact (which was what I was worried about).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wondering if anyone can help me with spring rate. my float x2 is in for warranty and i wanna try a coil out. probably a marzocchi bomber. i’m 170-175lbs riding weight if that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thank you! looks like that puts me firmly in the 350lb spring department. decided to coil my fork, coil the rear, and bought a 27.5 rear wheel to try out. i’ve been riding shorter travel bikes lately and i’m even thinking of running a 160mm fork at full 29er mode to keep the HA at 65.5 to liven the front end up a bit and give it a little more precision. i’m super stoked on how many little adjustments can be made to one single bike to make it ride totally different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's interesting...I'm coming off a Ripmo AF and must be very close to where you're riding. I noticed Little River immediately. I'm based in the Mad River Valley in Vermont and ride all over the state. I generally seek out the toughest and techiest stuff I can find. I got my Titan built up on Wednesday and have already sold the Ripmo.

Not to disagree with your points, but to offer a different perspective...I found the titan to be better than the AF in every way. Hands down it climbs better than it, which you mentioned. I think the Pinkbike review did the titan a disservice in this department. I don't know if I've rode anything this sprightly uphill other than a hardtail. I have ridden a number of other modern enduro bikes and thought the ripmo blew them all away, but I can't get over the Titan. On long doubletrack climbs the ripmo af seemed to suck the life out of me and I'm generally one of the strongest climbers in groups that I ride with. Even with cushcore in the titan feels like a rocket.

On the descents and tight technical stuff I haven't had any issues. I am riding much faster on the downs with the longer chainstays. The bike holds a line incredibly and lets you look further ahead, which you mentioned. I am getting bounced around way less and staying off the brakes much longer than on the ripmo. The faster, chunkier and rougher stuff the bike really stands out. It does have great grip, but I haven't had any trouble getting the bike to pop and gap doubles. What I noticed the most is the difference in frame stiffness. I didn't think the frame on the ripmo was flexing, but I can't get over how much stiffer the titan is. The titan handles drops and sequential drops much better than the ripmo in my opinion. They just built a new jump/flow trail right by the mountain here...I have a bunch of runs on it with both bikes...there's a lots of spots to manual, but there's also a triple that I couldn't quite get on the ripmo. I've got it every single time on the titan. It's pretty magical that this thing goes uphill this well and charges downhill as well. Normally a big bruiser of an enduro bike isn't super fun on a mellow flow trail, but honestly it's great for me there as well.

I realize it comes down to body type, riding style and terrain, but I am really, really digging this bike. Also, it's cool to see a fellow Vermonter on here. Both bikes are awesome and are heads and shoulders above everything else that I've ridden. Hard to go wrong with either.
Debating between the ripmo af and waiting in a titan- you say the climbing is better for the titan- even on fairly root filled and twisty tracks?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Debating between the ripmo af and waiting in a titan- you say the climbing is better for the titan- even on fairly root filled and twisty tracks?
I have ridden the carbon Ripmo v1, which I imagine is a slightly lighter and more efficient version of the Ripmo AF. I was pretty shocked by how well that bike climbs, but it feels more like a trail bike than an enduro bike, and the one I rode weighed 30 lbs (so, fairly light). I know the Ripmo AF takes things more into the enduro realm, so I can only imagine it climbs slightly worse.

The Titan climbs really well as others have said. It never feels like the suspension is moving around too much even with a coil shock and the climb switch off. I honestly can't imagine the Ripmo AF is much worse in this regard given Ibis' historical bias toward bikes that climb incredibly well at the expense of descending prowess. When it comes to momentum though, the longer chainstays on the Titan essentially put your weight further forward of the rear wheel, so when it slams into something, it has an easier time rolling over it than a shorter chainstay would where your weight is sitting closer to right over the back wheel. This is the big difference I've noticed in maintaining momentum on chunky flat sections or climbs.

For twisty tracks, no modern enduro bike is going to do all that well. The long stays on the Titan makes it more cumbersome to pivot off the back wheel on uphill switchbacks, and then bike generally wants to carve wider arcs than other bikes with shorter stays. Ultimately comes down to which aspect of your riding you want to optimize for based on where you live

·
Registered
23 Posts
thank you! looks like that puts me firmly in the 350lb spring department. decided to coil my fork, coil the rear, and bought a 27.5 rear wheel to try out. i’ve been riding shorter travel bikes lately and i’m even thinking of running a 160mm fork at full 29er mode to keep the HA at 65.5 to liven the front end up a bit and give it a little more precision. i’m super stoked on how many little adjustments can be made to one single bike to make it ride totally different.
I've been running mullet for some time, no intention of putting the 29 wheel back in. I'm 180-185 and ran a 400lb spring, for my style of riding it was a bit soft and now run the 425lb rear and 50lb smashpot. Very happy with this setup, tho on some big drops/ jumps a bit more would be nice..

I'll be interested to see what you think with 160mm on the front, I was going to try it as its pretty simple with the smashpot to change it around. I'd be concerned about BB height and pedal strikes..

·
Registered
27 Posts
i think the only time i’d run 160 up front is with the dropouts in high and with a full 29er setup. should keep the bb about the same as a 170 in low. i’ll keep the fork at 170 whenever i’m running a 27.5 back wheel but the travel adjust is so easy with the z1 coil that i feel like i may as well try it at 160 when running full 29.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My DHX2 just has arrived in time for the La Palma trip...Will try do some back to back sessions on the stock Float X2 vs the DHX2 on trails i'm familiar with. Bike is almost virgin, just did a quick test lap here and was impressed. Coming from a broken BMC Trailfox (VPP too) and a CCDB IL Air (was great), this is my first coil shock.

As i saw other bikes using a DHX2, any hints regarding the settings for LSC, LSR, HSC, HSR besides the Fox defaults (15-19 clicks for my 450 spring) for the initial setup?

BTW, what a beauty AND a beast!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally got my hands on my Titan today. What a stunning bike in the flesh. Parts selection partly down to cost and availability - I wanted a coil native fork and couldn't the prices Mr Ohlins was asking, so helm it was, even though it restricts me to 170mm. Kitsuna was an no brainer as I had a double barrel on my old bike and loved that. Transmission is off my old bike, although I ordered a garbaruk cassette one day after a few too many beers. Brexit and general bike part stock issues forced my hand with tyres and grips - I wanted maxxis, but couldn't get my preferred combo and there was no stock of anything but the skinwall rear anywhere.

It's a medium frame in mullet configuration. The weather looks vile this weekend, but hopefully I'll manage to get out for a couple of hours to try it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Finally got my hands on my Titan today. What a stunning bike in the flesh. Parts selection partly down to cost and availability - I wanted a coil native fork and couldn't the prices Mr Ohlins was asking, so helm it was, even though it restricts me to 170mm. Kitsuna was an no brainer as I had a double barrel on my old bike and loved that. Transmission is off my old bike, although I ordered a garbaruk cassette one day after a few too many beers. Brexit and general bike part stock issues forced my hand with tyres and grips - I wanted maxxis, but couldn't get my preferred combo and there was no stock of anything but the skinwall rear anywhere.

It's a medium frame in mullet configuration. The weather looks vile this weekend, but hopefully I'll manage to get out for a couple of hours to try it out.

View attachment 1913674 View attachment 1913676
Am i the only one who doesnt mind the rear tire? Accentuates the mullet almost? Or maybe the frame is just so sexy it can pull anything off

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
Is the tip of the saddle is forward of the BB? I'm trying to judge by the vertical lines of the brick wall.

·
Registered
94 Posts

View attachment 1913674 View attachment 1913676
How do you like the helm? Couldn’t find a coil helm in the US to save my life. Ended up going Ohlins on my prime v3. Now waiting on my Ohlins coil rear to come in

·
Registered
841 Posts

View attachment 1913674
I thought the new Helm was restricted to 160mm travel? Did you find a way to extend to 170?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a typo - the fork is only 160mm.
Maiden voyage tomorrow morning in the South Wales slop, so I'll report back after that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
blew up the float x2 so i picked up a cheap coil while warranty is processed. decided to go all out and coiled the fork and built a 27.5 rear wheel as well. i’m stoked. i felt the 29 was a bit cumbersome in tight corners and switchbacks with the longer stays but it seems to have helped a bit switching to a smaller wheel. running a 350lb spring in the rear for 32% sag. decided on a firm spring for the fork being in between spring rates at a rider weight of 170-175. super glad i did as it is much much more supple than this fork in its air configuration. i was having my doubts about this bike for a minute there but this setup has really boosted my confidence

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Looking good! Waiting on a Bomber CR coil being built by Avalanche...along with a cartridge for my Yari. The mullet setup works great on the Titan!

·
beater
5,856 Posts
I've been riding my Titan a lot recently - unfortunately on Zwift. I have it sitting on our TacX while I'm waiting for a new rebuilt hub, new wheel build, and an XT 12-speed drivetrain. When initially built last summer, I moved parts from a 2016 Yeti 5.5c build. I've replaced the fork and rebuilt the front wheel. The rear hub was an XD driver but my fiancé's Ripmo has XTR 12, and I think it's worth having swappable wheels. So I'm waiting on Onyx to rebuild the hub and swap drivers (I broke my axle last summer, and apparently Onyx made a running change to their 148 axles in the last couple years. I got very lucky when they found one random legacy axle in their warehouse). I figured the Titan is more comfortable than my gravel bike, and I'm replacing the drivetrain anyway so trainer wear won't matter.

I've been riding the crap out of my fatbike, though. We haven't gotten any snow to speak of, but the trails are still messy enough that the big tires (and studs) are welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only managed one trail on the weekend before the weather rolled in and my mate had a mechanical, which was really frustrating. In the meantime I've made a little guard out of one of those mini front fenders for the rest end to try and stop crap spraying into the linkage. We'll see how well it works next time I head out.

561 - 580 of 618 Posts