Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys and girls, took my first ride on the Scream today. Nice, plush, awesome. One question though with rear shock setup. I was beginning with the recommendations on intial setup of the 5th Element shock. You know, so much air pressure, sag, etc.

The one problem I was having was the rear yoke crashing on the seat post. Basically taking a drop to flat, landing on the rear wheel first. I didn't have my air pump, so all I could do was screw in the 16mm air volume bolt to make it more progressive. But didn't help enough. I'm thinking I may need to add more air pressure, but I'll lose my sag. I've been told that I do have one spring size too heavy for me. Would maybe changing down the spring one size and increasing the air pressure be the best solution?

I know this is a technical question. Any Scream owners out there run into yoke crash issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
One Nasty Sound....

I had the same issue going on with mine on the first ride...

Try this... pull off your shock and cycle the rear thru it's travel.. make sure the secondary seat post clamp isn't hitting the yoke. (That's where I was having the issue).

After correcting that the only time I had an issue it on a flat landing... I ended up just cranking the shock to be SUPER progressive and mo more issues...

Hope that helps!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
It's simply difficult to make an 8" travel bike with a standard seat tube. The ellsworth dare has a similer problem to this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
I know this is a technical question. Any Scream owners out there run into yoke crash issues?
well, if you try reading your Owner's Manual, there is a specific discussion on this EXACT SAME issue within the Manual. it describes exactly how to avoid the yoke/seat tube/seatpost/seatpost collar collisions under suspension action.

read your manual, son.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gonzostrike said:
well, if you try reading your Owner's Manual, there is a specific discussion on this EXACT SAME issue within the Manual. it describes exactly how to avoid the yoke/seat tube/seatpost/seatpost collar collisions under suspension action.

read your manual, son.
Thanks DAD. Please do not presume that I shun any responsibility in not being informed. I've read everything under the sun in regard to my frame, my shock, my fork, etc. In addition to contacting Progressive and Banshee. AND posting on this forum. All this - even before I rode my bike.

With that said, I do not use the telescopic seat post. I use a regular seat post. And even with that seat post, I turned it 180 degrees around so that the clamp portion that normally protrudes out the furthest from the back is now facing toward the front of the bike. And yes, the seat collor is facing toward the front of the bike as well.

Really, this is not an issue of setting up the seat post/collar incorrectly. It is an isssue of setting up my 5th correctly, which obviously it's not. If I was not clear enough, I apologize. Maybe I'm trying to ask whether I should sacrifice the "optimal" shock settings and crank it up so the yoke doesn't meet the seatpost, or if there were any other suggestions. This is more of a question for other Scream owner's due to the specific frame design issues of this question...or to other 5th owners.

And thanks Killington. I did also do this before - take off the shock to see where the yoke would meet the post. I thought I was ok, but I'll do it again to be sure. Worst comes to worst, I'll just crank up the 5th and see if I can live with that.
 

·
user-created
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
With that said, I do not use the telescopic seat post. I use a regular seat post. And even with that seat post, I turned it 180 degrees around so that the clamp portion that normally protrudes out the furthest from the back is now facing toward the front of the bike. And yes, the seat collor is facing toward the front of the bike as well.
Even still, you may hafta bend the QR lever flush to the curve of the clamp; if it sticks out a 1/4" it'll probably hit. Have you tried removing your spring (not the whole shock, just the spring) and cycling the swingarm to see where it hits, relative to the actual stroke of the shock?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
Really, this is not an issue of setting up the seat post/collar incorrectly. It is an isssue of setting up my 5th correctly, which obviously it's not. If I was not clear enough, I apologize. Maybe I'm trying to ask whether I should sacrifice the "optimal" shock settings and crank it up so the yoke doesn't meet the seatpost, or if there were any other suggestions. This is more of a question for other Scream owner's due to the specific frame design issues of this question...or to other 5th owners.
.
I disagree, your shock should be set up so that it bottoms when you do a big drop or jump. It shouldn't be a "harsh" bottom, and if done perfectly, it should be seemless and not "feel" like a bottom out, but you should be using full travel (that's the way bikes are meant to work) and this means that you will have to fix whatever it is that you need to with the yoke, I'm assuming the seatstay/linkage pivot area is the problem here. Bikes aren't designed to work in the way that you are asking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
If you can hit anything metal to metal on the frame there's a design problem with the frame. The shock alone should take the bottom out with it's valving and bottom out bumper. If the yoke hits the seatpost of seat tube then that's a big problem that will eventually wreck something.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
1) if you read the manual, why do you still have issues? is it reading comprehension? mechanical ineptitude? plain old idiocy?

2) Jm correctly has reminded you that you need to bottom out on big drops, but not on every drop. most suspension mfrs will tell you that if you're not bottoming out on the biggest stuff you do on a daily ride, you haven't tuned the fork/shock correctly.

3) be a smarta$$ all you want, you're still the one who can't figure out a SIMPLE issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
are you SURE that it is impacting the frame? it is possible that it is the shock making that noise... as you said you dont have it tuned in yet... someone probably said this already, but remove the shock spring and cycle the rear end through its travel... you should be able to find the point of impact and figure out how to fix it from there. good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
I didn't have my air pump, so all I could do was screw in the 16mm air volume bolt to make it more progressive. But didn't help enough. I'm thinking I may need to add more air pressure, but I'll lose my sag.
cmon man if you dont know the exact air pressure in the shock then why are you posting threads about yolk crashing? get a pump and dial in the air pressure. its obvious that you have not even checked to see what air pressure that is in there. if you put the max recommended air pressure in dial the botttom control and it still hits get a stiffer spring. its not the shock's fault you have no pump handy or do not know how to adjust the air chamber. by comparision i have 90 lbs air pressure in my spv 4-way shock and i weigh 160. how would you know your sag is correct anyway of you have not adjusted air pressure? thats how you set the sag bro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
Occasional Sounds

I agree that the shock should bottom on occasion, but not all the time. After you've set the corect air pressure to get the right amount of sag, play with the progressive adjustment. I have mine FINALLY dialed in so it bottoms when I'm not smooth off a drop.. but when I land correctly, the shock is quiet and seemingly bottomless. Just spend some time and don't be afraid to see what each adjustment does and how it changes the feel of the shock. After a while it should fall into place and the issue should take care of itself.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kaant undrstand y thir r dum a$$s lyk gonzostrike. eef efrone red ohnrs maanul and culd mak efrything wurk, yy tha he!! du wee haf dees 4rums? no won wuld need eny help frum eneeone. mabee hes juust a tyrd old a$$ dat nose efreeting. maybbe u shuld haf ur ohn "xpirt" forem by urself. ooo ya u so entelectrial! mahybee i kan anser efree1s cueschun 2 lyk u? "hay, reed ur ohnrs buk son!" laf oyt lowd ha ha u startid beeng dum a$$ 1st. i deevource u daddy now peece.

And to dream4est, I did NOT, repeat, NOT say I did not know the air pressure. I said I did not have my pump on me (on the trail). My air pressure was at 50% of my weight. If I had the pump, I would have increased the pressure. And you are correct, I don't know how to correctly set up the shock yet. I'm learning as I go along. Obviously not from the help of certain people.

Again, this was my FIRST ride on this bike AND with a 5th. And I never said it was the shock's fault. And furthermore, I never said it was anyone else's fault either. So why are people being so hostile? If you're that smart and can't stand to help anyone less intellectual or experienced than you, then why do you try?

And I wish people would stop making assumptions. I'll leave this one alone already. At best, it was entertaining.

To the rest of you, thank you for your help. It's most appreciated.
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
Helping each of us to understand that we are ignorant....

dirtmerchant said:
I kaant undrstand y thir r dum a$$s lyk gonzostrike. eef efrone red ohnrs maanul and culd mak efrything wurk, yy tha he!! du wee haf dees 4rums? no won wuld need eny help frum eneeone. mabee hes juust a tyrd old a$$ dat nose efreeting. maybbe u shuld haf ur ohn "xpirt" forem by urself. ooo ya u so entelectrial! mahybee i kan anser efree1s cueschun 2 lyk u? "hay, reed ur ohnrs buk son!" laf oyt lowd ha ha u startid beeng dum a$$ 1st. i deevource u daddy now peece.

And to dream4est, I did NOT, repeat, NOT say I did not know the air pressure. I said I did not have my pump on me (on the trail). My air pressure was at 50% of my weight. If I had the pump, I would have increased the pressure. And you are correct, I don't know how to correctly set up the shock yet. I'm learning as I go along. Obviously not from the help of certain people.

Again, this was my FIRST ride on this bike AND with a 5th. And I never said it was the shock's fault. And furthermore, I never said it was anyone else's fault either. So why are people being so hostile? If you're that smart and can't stand to help anyone less intellectual or experienced than you, then why do you try?

And I wish people would stop making assumptions. I'll leave this one alone already. At best, it was entertaining.

To the rest of you, thank you for your help. It's most appreciated.
Seems to be the 1st priority for some on these boards. Most folks are just looking for a 'lil help to solve issues. They already feel stumped or they wouldn't turn to someone for help that is going to "rip'em a new one" before they condasend to them. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums that need their ignorance pointed out to them. Of course we all feel as though we were "just riding along" and ( insert problem here) happened. So it is necassary to read between the lines some times. :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
Again, this was my FIRST ride on this bike AND with a 5th. And I never said it was the shock's fault.
dirtmerchant said:
Really, this is not an issue of setting up the seat post/collar incorrectly. It is an isssue of setting up my 5th correctly, which obviously it's not.
uh huh... :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
ever notice how when a noob liar comes in and tries to blame his own idiotic malfeasance on the bike or part mfr, he changes his tune with every single backpedaling remark in an attempt to gain distance from his original, highly embarrassing post in which he showed just how little he knows and just how much of his "problem" is due to his own ineptitude?

I'm not saying that is dirtmerchant's problem, but if the shoe fits...

sniff it.
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
I get th' feelin'...

he's tryin' to say he is having trouble getting the shock dialed in. He wasn't sayin' anything was wrong w/th' shock..he said below/above, "It is an isssue of setting up my 5th correctly, which obviously it's not. If I was not clear enough, I apologize." That's what I got from him. It took me a 3-4 weeks of riding & a heavier spring before I got mine the way I like it. He's been on his one day @ the initial post. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
I kaant undrstand y thir r dum a$$s lyk gonzostrike. eef efrone red ohnrs maanul and culd mak efrything wurk, yy tha he!! du wee haf dees 4rums? no won wuld need eny help frum eneeone. mabee hes juust a tyrd old a$$ dat nose efreeting. maybbe u shuld haf ur ohn "xpirt" forem by urself. ooo ya u so entelectrial! mahybee i kan anser efree1s cueschun 2 lyk u? "hay, reed ur ohnrs buk son!" laf oyt lowd ha ha u startid beeng dum a$$ 1st. i deevource u daddy now peece.

And to dream4est, I did NOT, repeat, NOT say I did not know the air pressure. I said I did not have my pump on me (on the trail). My air pressure was at 50% of my weight. If I had the pump, I would have increased the pressure. And you are correct, I don't know how to correctly set up the shock yet. I'm learning as I go along. Obviously not from the help of certain people.

Again, this was my FIRST ride on this bike AND with a 5th. And I never said it was the shock's fault. And furthermore, I never said it was anyone else's fault either. So why are people being so hostile? If you're that smart and can't stand to help anyone less intellectual or experienced than you, then why do you try?

And I wish people would stop making assumptions. I'll leave this one alone already. At best, it was entertaining.

To the rest of you, thank you for your help. It's most appreciated.
we make assumptions because you did not give out all the fatcs. next time tell us exactly whats up. you have added more info about the setup like a day later. whatever. had you said you had at least 50% of your rider weight in the air chamber everyone would have said 'get a stiffer spring'. you said in your first post that someone told you to get a lighter spring and that you had too stiff a spring. come on thats the funniest crap i have heard here in a while. its the opposite of that when the yolk hits. and i still think that if you add 20 or 30 lbs of air (which would take two minutes) or go one size stiffer spring rate your problem is solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Seems to be the 1st priority for some on these boards. Most folks are just looking for a 'lil help to solve issues. They already feel stumped or they wouldn't turn to someone for help that is going to "rip'em a new one" before they condasend to them. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums that need their ignorance pointed out to them. Of course we all feel as though we were "just riding along" and ( insert problem here) happened. So it is necassary to read between the lines some times. :D
well maybe some poeple need to learn how to use the search function and quit wasting time here. like any post about the bullit, jrt or which mrp fits my bike.
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top