Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Unfortunatly the past three years I have'nt been riding much. I've come to the conclusion, its time to get back on a bike.

Heres the problem. I'm not the same strapping young buck that use to race, ride my beloved Fat Chance with a flat bar and 2.5 inches of travel. My prostate and back scream for mercy. I know, I know, ride more. However, I no longer have three plus hours per day to devote to cyling and need a more comfortable bike.

What I'm looking for is a general all purpose bike that I can build up. What can I say, I like customs.I need something that is comfortable on the bike baths with the spouse. Fun around town dinking around on stairs, small dirt jumps and such. Able to decent and take some 3-4 drops and (heres the most important thing) CLIMB! Like I said, I've been on a '93 Fat Chance since '93. I love to climb, it's my strong point.

Seeing how I'm only 135lbs and consider myself a fairly smooth, fluid rider, being able to pick my lines carefully. I want a relatively light build, 30- 32 lbs max. It also must be a HT.

Please keep in mind, I'm a retro rider and waaaay behind times on technology. What I am considering is building up a Banshee Scirocco with a Marzocchi MX ETA up front. I think this would be a great all around bike. Budget is $2000.

If anyone out there has some ideas on good all around frames/forks (preferably Zokks forks) please let me know. Also, I'm a big fan of steal. Throw some modern steal frame builers at me . I certainly appreciate it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Chameleon.

The Santa Cruz Chameleon will be great for you. It's very versatile. Throw on a Fox Talas RLC and you can bring it down in travel for racing, up it a little for trail riding and up to 130mm for jumps etc. I'm building one up from scratch with a Talas and XO and Singletracks, and it's running a bit higher than $2000 ($2800), but if you don't need all the super high end stuff, i'm sure you could get one built for under $2000. Frames start at only $450.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
what size are do you need?

I might have a line on something very special for you, an 18" custom steel FR hardtail, let me know if you're interested....

Mojo Troll said:
Hello all,

Unfortunatly the past three years I have'nt been riding much. I've come to the conclusion, its time to get back on a bike.

Heres the problem. I'm not the same strapping young buck that use to race, ride my beloved Fat Chance with a flat bar and 2.5 inches of travel. My prostate and back scream for mercy. I know, I know, ride more. However, I no longer have three plus hours per day to devote to cyling and need a more comfortable bike.

What I'm looking for is a general all purpose bike that I can build up. What can I say, I like customs.I need something that is comfortable on the bike baths with the spouse. Fun around town dinking around on stairs, small dirt jumps and such. Able to decent and take some 3-4 drops and (heres the most important thing) CLIMB! Like I said, I've been on a '93 Fat Chance since '93. I love to climb, it's my strong point.

Seeing how I'm only 135lbs and consider myself a fairly smooth, fluid rider, being able to pick my lines carefully. I want a relatively light build, 30- 32 lbs max. It also must be a HT.

Please keep in mind, I'm a retro rider and waaaay behind times on technology. What I am considering is building up a Banshee Scirocco with a Marzocchi MX ETA up front. I think this would be a great all around bike. Budget is $2000.

If anyone out there has some ideas on good all around frames/forks (preferably Zokks forks) please let me know. Also, I'm a big fan of steal. Throw some modern steal frame builers at me . I certainly appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fox is so darn expensive. I realize, you get what you pay for, but I'm more of a Marzocchi fan. Four forks in ten years with Marzocchi with excellent support and customer service, from both various LBS's and directly with Marzocchi.

I realize thats a very narrow minded statement, considering I've never owned a Fox front end. Perhaps I need enlightened on Foxx's warrenty/support......

I have actually browsed over the Chamelion. Not bad specs at all. Will certainly keep it in mind. I'm actually looking for a well made bike from a small/boutique frame builder.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Well..... sorry for the spam

I have a used dekerf implant that I might be willing to sell. It's an 18" with a 23.25" TT and 5" head tube. It woudl probably fit you great. reynolds 853 steel, clearance for 2.4's, killer bike. I could sell teh frame or frame with a 105mm marzocchi MXR fork. Honestly I am not sure I want to sell it but I have money down on a FS XC bike. Here's a pic. PM me if you're interested!

Mojo Troll said:
Hmmm.....looking for something in the mediumish size. I'm 5'10" a little lanky for my size.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Banshee Scirocco all the way.

I think you would really like the Scirocco. The geometry is the best thing about this bike. You can do all day epics and hit the jumps and stunts without worrying about breaking the frame. The price is right also. I almost got a Scirocco this year but could only afford one bike. I would still like to get a Scirocco one day.

The Scirocco is not that popular in the States, but in Canada, especially in British Columbia, it is very popular. If it can survive on the "Shore" you know it is the goods.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Mojo Troll said:
great photo ....PNW or BC? At any rate, nice eye. great pic.
Thats above mission ridge / devils gulch, near Cashmere Wa.

I have ridden the bike a lot in BC though, did cheakamus challenge on it (squamish to whistler off-road, ends in the bike park)

Just as well on the fit, I'd like to keep it anyways, just tight on money for my new ride right now. However, I would definately consider dekerf, peyto, chromag, and the evil soveriegn for your list.. steel is where its at...

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey FM,

I hear ya on the money issue. I'm actually going to build a bike over the next four months. Hopefully completing by spring, when the snow melts.

I took a look at a couple of your pics. You have a nice eye for photograghy, not to mention a beautiful background. Keep up the nice work and enjoy.

Ronny,

The Scirocco looks very tempting. I really like the geom and short chainstays. The only thing that concerns me is the harsh ride of an Alum frame with such short chainstays.

However, if speced right and proper technique. I bet a Scirocco would climb like a monkey on meth with those short chain stays. Should wheelie and manual easily as well.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah,

I've drooled over the Evil Soveriegn. Only problem is, if I bought the frame new it would really cut into my budget of $2000. Thus having to spec lower end front fork, disc brakes, wheels etc....

Been doing some research. I would certainly buy a frame, fork, or wheelset used to help save money. I'll be "trolling" e bay and the boards the next couple of months to say the least. Should'nt have any problems staying on budget.

Now if I could just get more ideas......

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you have not checked it out already, look at the Sinister Ridge. It is a pretty sweet frame. If I were going to build up an alu. HT, it would likely be a Ridge or a Scirocco. Hard to beat Banshee's 10yr warranty. Hard to beat the craftsmanship of the Sinister.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sciroccos are very nice....

Esquire has a Scirocco that he uses as his "second" bike. He's more into the bigger bikes, but when he's on a longer trail ride he tends to opt for the Scirocco. It's reasonable in weight but it's built sturdy as hell and has a geometry that's suited for most types of riding. If I was looking for a hardtail, this is definitely one I would be looking at.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I have a Banshee Scirocco.

I am about 5'10" with a longish back. A Medium with a 110 mm stem fits me well. If you have long legs, the stock seat post might be on the short side (?)
My fork is the humble Marzocchi MX Comp Air 105 mm (no nonsense, works). I would NOT put a shorter fork on it. It gets a bit steep for bumpy descents. Fat tires 2.3 rear / 2.5 front add some cushioning.

It is a good strong bike.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just scored an '05 Scirocco on e bay in mint condition. Included the factory post and clamp, FSA DH headset and Hossfelt Gigapipe BB. I'm so stoked.

Now for the front end. I'm really considering a Sherman FireFly or a Zokes Z1 FR, both with 20mm axle and ETA.

Building a new bike rocks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mojo Troll said:
Hello all,

You can build a way nicer fork onto the bike for $2000...I just built one up for 2100 all inclusive (shipping/tax/assembling). It included goodies like a pike race coil, lrp chainguide, x9 combo, juicy 7's, etc..Don't settle for the MX!

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
time for a fork

Well, It's time for a fork to go on the Scirocco. Like I said, I'm a little retro and behind times on technology. I need a fork that can do just about everything. Adjust it down for rides on the bike path with my girl, some urban, DJ, quick trip to the store. Then be able to climb 2000 EL in the Sierra's, to bomb down the backside with the fork set to six inches. I really don't want a fork that Im constantly stopping to make adjustments. I wanna ride while on the bike, not play mechanic or tech nerd.

I'd also like to keep the weight down on the front end. I'm only 140lbs and ride farely smooth. Im coming off a '93 Fat Chance, flat bar with 2.5" of travel. I'd like this build to be under 30lbs. Should be able to do it. Heres my considerations so far:

Manitou FireFly or Flick
Marzocchi Z1 or 66
RS Pike (not a big fan of RS, but appearently SRAM is pulling the brand out of the toilet)
Fox ( I cant afford) LOL

Trying to find a used '05 or close out to save money. That way I can spend more on nice wheels and brakes. Help a retro geek out with some opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
the Pike and Fox 36 are both supposed to be sub-5 lbs, which is pretty light for a 4-6" adjustable fork. i have a Talas that's 90-130mm that's sub-4lbs and I love it. however, if you're willing to sacrifice that weight, the Pike, from what i've heard, is a great fork that RS finally got right. you could check out the Marzocchi AM series too, as well as the RS Revelation, which is a little lighter than the PIKE...

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
synkronized23 said:
the Pike and Fox 36 are both supposed to be sub-5 lbs, which is pretty light for a 4-6" adjustable fork. i have a Talas that's 90-130mm that's sub-4lbs and I love it. however, if you're willing to sacrifice that weight, the Pike, from what i've heard, is a great fork that RS finally got right. you could check out the Marzocchi AM series too, as well as the RS Revelation, which is a little lighter than the PIKE...
The Marzocchi AM series is very nice. Only problem is they are a little out of my price range. Even for the "05 close outs. I'm a big fan of Zokes. Love thier butter smooth performance and ease of setting up. The Z1 FR ETA with 20mm axle is a little heavy, but its certainly a proven fork. Hard to over look that.

The Pike is actually leading the pack for me.The '05 close outs are a nice deal, plus the new '06's are still in my price range. The only problem I have with RS is they were such crap for so many years. From the research I've gathered, SRAM is starting to turn that around. I really like SRAM but its still hard to purchase a RS after so many years of sh*t. The Pikes in it's second year now. The first year got good feed back, so maybe an "06 is'nt such a bad idea.

Fox makes great stuff, but they are simply out of my price range. Even the used stuff for what I need.

Still liking the FireFly. Has some nice features. Reasonably light. Can be picked up used or close out for a nice price.

The frame and fork is the hardest decission when building up a new bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.