Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3281 - 3294 of 3294 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I went from a 2010 spesh enduro to the FOX Rune your looking at on jenson, and my first thought on the first ride was, "why did I wait so long?" seriously, the bike rips...up and down. as far as sizing you cant trust my opinion, Im 5'11'' and have always ridden mediums, even though everyone says I should be on a large. and I got a medium Rune and it fits me perfectly. I thought I would be bummed on the slacker STA, but it climbs better than my enduro (and the enduro actually has a slightly steeper STA). I live in western NC and ride in Pisgah and the Rune can more than handle anything here in Pisgah, which is saying a lot. Good luck man, you cant go wrong. If you were local Id let you take a spin on mine.
Wow, 5-11 on a Med? Are you part T-Rex? ;)

I know exactly why I've waited this long to get a new bike, I had kids and couldn't afford it! Still barely can!

Go for rune but get a better fork. For rune lyrik or fox 36 or mrp ribbon coil!!
There really isn't any extra budget for expensive upgrades. I'm skeptical about pairing the X2 with a 34. Whereas, I have a Debonair Monarch+ RC3 on the Reign and love it so that's a known quantity. I could also throw a Debonair spring into the Pike for cheap and it would probably way outperform the 34. My weekends rides are also usually 3-5k of vert and sometimes more, so I don't want it too overbuilt.

I'd have to replace both tires on the RockShox build since I hate HDs. But, on the Fox I'd swap the front tire for a DHF and keep the HR2 as a spare rear. So either way I'm buying at least one tire, and my wife has HDs on her bike and likes them so they'd make good spares for her. Tire spec is basically a wash then and I'm leaning towards the RockShox build.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea, the old part! haha :)

sell the reign and the fox 34 and your most of the way, if not all the way, to whatever fork you fancy. the drivetrain is also different on those two builds...I prefer shimano. 6 of one, half dozen of the other....its all about having fun.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I know exactly why I've waited this long to get a new bike, I had kids and couldn't afford it! Still barely can!

There really isn't any extra budget for expensive upgrades. I'm skeptical about pairing the X2 with a 34. Whereas, I have a Debonair Monarch+ RC3 on the Reign and love it so that's a known quantity. I could also throw a Debonair spring into the Pike for cheap and it would probably way outperform the 34. My weekends rides are also usually 3-5k of vert and sometimes more, so I don't want it too overbuilt.

I'd have to replace both tires on the RockShox build since I hate HDs. But, on the Fox I'd swap the front tire for a DHF and keep the HR2 as a spare rear. So either way I'm buying at least one tire, and my wife has HDs on her bike and likes them so they'd make good spares for her. Tire spec is basically a wash then and I'm leaning towards the RockShox build.
the monarch + is really really good on the rune.. the fox x2 is better, trickier to set up, but I would get the rockshox and add coil later on... The rune is so capable that you will be blown away. Get the medium with rockshox.. I got that rune from jenson with monarch + pike and even got the rct3 version for the same price... just put bettter tires as the hans dampf are utter **** (performance version)...dont think it twice. cheer.s

·
Registered
714 Posts
So, I'm still fence-sitting like a *****. Finding conflicting info out there regarding sizing and how well these bikes jump.

Anyone have any opinions on the jumping issue? I spend a lot time at I Street so that's a critical characteristic. For those who don't know I Street, this video gives you a good idea of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXMpY0WfWk

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
So, I'm still fence-sitting like a *****. Finding conflicting info out there regarding sizing and how well these bikes jump.

Anyone have any opinions on the jumping issue? I spend a lot time at I Street so that's a critical characteristic. For those who don't know I Street, this video gives you a good idea of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXMpY0WfWk
My Rune V2 was right at home on that stuff but TBH so is my Slash8.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Both my Darkside and Rune loved to be in the air bro.. any bike with shitty setup can suck a kicker in a wrong way though.. cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, after exactly 2 years again, ive found a crack in my Rune. Just out of warranty, Im absolutely gutted. Been riding Banshee since 2014/15.

Have contacted Banshee to see what we can work out.

rune.jpg

·
flailer
161 Posts
Rune in the snow

Even though I bought a Titan, I am still hitting the trails on my '16 Rune! It does pretty awesome in the snow with a 2.6 front and 2.5 WT rear mounted on 35mm ID wheels.

80529710_1006984486331462_2075355685217894400_n.jpg

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Even though I bought a Titan, I am still hitting the trails on my '16 Rune! It does pretty awesome in the snow with a 2.6 front and 2.5 WT rear mounted on 35mm ID wheels.

Why not just a second wheelset for the Titan? Running a 27.5x2.8 DHR on mine...you could likely fit a 29x3.0 up front as well.

·
flailer
161 Posts
I know a 3.0 will fit the front of the titan with the boost fork, but with the short drop out there doesn't appear to be a ton of space for anything larger than a 2.5

Besides I still like my Rune very much. It's a different bike when compared to the Titan and still a blast to ride. It's quite capable in the snow with the pseudo-mid fat tire arrangement.

·
flailer
161 Posts
what's your wheel width? Are you running the long or short drop outs?

3281 - 3294 of 3294 Posts