Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Born to Ride
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Banshee Scream. In the past 2 months or so, I have broken 3 rear derailers. (Shimano Deore) I cannot figure out why it is happening. They are not hitting on rocks, all three have broke when landing from a jump, two have been pretty small jumps, so I don’t think it is the impact of the landing that is doing it. I can go big with no problems. It completely rips the derailer apart and usually kinks my chain up, it almost seems like it is snagging my rear wheel and getting ripped off. It bends my dereailer hanger also and one of the times it ripped the derailer right out of the hanger. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on why this was happening and if this was a common problem with screams? Do I just need to run a different derailer? It seems like there is something else wrong though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
FormulaX said:
I have an 03 Banshee Scream. In the past 2 months or so, I have broken 3 rear derailers. (Shimano Deore) I cannot figure out why it is happening. They are not hitting on rocks, all three have broke when landing from a jump, two have been pretty small jumps, so I don�t think it is the impact of the landing that is doing it. I can go big with no problems. It completely rips the derailer apart and usually kinks my chain up, it almost seems like it is snagging my rear wheel and getting ripped off. It bends my dereailer hanger also and one of the times it ripped the derailer right out of the hanger. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on why this was happening and if this was a common problem with screams? Do I just need to run a different derailer? It seems like there is something else wrong though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
is the derailleur hitting the ground? or your chainstay?

i know SMT will say this, but, go sram....

appearently they have stronger springs too...

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
go SRAM :D

sounds like your chain maybe to short and you're rippin it off when the suspension bottoms :p uh maybe

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
I don't think going sram will do anything, and I'm a sram person. Is your chain too short or something? I think it's a design flaw because my friend with a stinky rips off a new der. in the same fashion like everyweek.

Is the hanger bent?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
one of my friends had the same problem with his Deore and LX and XT rear ders on his '03 Scream. he tried various amounts of B-tension, different lengths of chain (longer, of course), and as you can tell from my list, different models of Shima-no-no rear der. nothing cured it, it kept whacking them silly.

our local Banshee dealer spoke to the folks at Banshee, who recommended trying a SRAM rear derailleur. I had old '99 SRAM 9.0 laying around, and he installed that. even though one of the jockey wheels has a tooth missing, it's been working fine and he hasn't had a problem since he installed the SRAM.

my '04 Scream ran great with a SRAM 7.0 rear der.

apparently SRAM's design works much better, something to do with the return spring being stronger as well as its apparent "soft" return at the B-stop.

·
Registered
868 Posts
FormulaX said:
I have an 03 Banshee Scream. In the past 2 months or so, I have broken 3 rear derailers. (Shimano Deore) I cannot figure out why it is happening. They are not hitting on rocks, all three have broke when landing from a jump, two have been pretty small jumps, so I don't think it is the impact of the landing that is doing it. I can go big with no problems. It completely rips the derailer apart and usually kinks my chain up, it almost seems like it is snagging my rear wheel and getting ripped off. It bends my dereailer hanger also and one of the times it ripped the derailer right out of the hanger. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on why this was happening and if this was a common problem with screams? Do I just need to run a different derailer? It seems like there is something else wrong though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
This sounds like the Stinky Derraileur ripping off problem. My roommate toasted 3 or 4 on jumps, it just rips the derailleur off the bike and it gets wrapped up in the wheel. You may want to search for problems with the Konas as well since the design is not that different. I know that other Stinky riders have had the same problem. I don't think anyone ever came up with a solid reason on what is happening though.

·
Born to Ride
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting stuff, It seems like whatever is ripping it off, is doing so with such great force that any brand would break, I dunno. Im gonna call banshee and see what they have to say. But it is exactly like what you guys are saying about the stinkys. I also am thinking about using a rode bike derailer because of the small size, i would loose my two easiest gears, but I hardly use them anyway. Thanks for the comments guys, keep em' comming!

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
gonzostrike said:
one of my friends had the same problem with his Deore and LX and XT rear ders on his '03 Scream. he tried various amounts of B-tension, different lengths of chain (longer, of course), and as you can tell from my list, different models of Shima-no-no rear der. nothing cured it, it kept whacking them silly.

our local Banshee dealer spoke to the folks at Banshee, who recommended trying a SRAM rear derailleur. I had old '99 SRAM 9.0 laying around, and he installed that. even though one of the jockey wheels has a tooth missing, it's been working fine and he hasn't had a problem since he installed the SRAM.

my '04 Scream ran great with a SRAM 7.0 rear der.

apparently SRAM's design works much better, something to do with the return spring being stronger as well as its apparent "soft" return at the B-stop.[/QUOTE)

I rest my case :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.