Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much deliberation as to what 29" bike to get, including considering a few full suspension frames, I decided to start off more modestly. One or two very enthusiastic reviews of the Paradox were also influential in my decision.

I have so far managed two rides on fairly non-technical single track to get a feel for the bike and the 29" wheels. I had never managed much more than a field ride at a festival and occasional parking lot on a 29" bike. I therefore don't know if my first impressions are specific to the Paradox and its fairly unique geometry but all the issues that I see raised from time to time were, well.... non-issues. The sluggishness in handling that is often talked about was non-existent. I can lift the front wheel as easily as I have on a lot of 26" bikes. For me, if I didn't look down at the big front wheel, I could be on any good handling bike. I also didn't notice any of the often referred to effort to get it up to speed.

Here are a few things that are different for me and that I like. I am not very tall at 5' 10½" but do have fairly long legs, so my seat post is usually quite high. On my 26" bike I feel perched on top of the bike. On my Paradox I feel more part of the bike. One thing I found to be very pronounced it that it rides very smoothly. I suppose that is a function of the big wheels.

I like that Banshee has provided for full length shifter cables. For those that may want to use a HammerSchmidt cable mounts are provided. I thought of doing one but the entry cost of the HammerSchmidt is a bit rich for me.

Here is my build and a few pictures.

Medium Banshee Paradox
Fork - 2010 Manitou Minute 29. (I really like this fork. The damping works.)
Crank set - Shimano XT M770 with e-thirteen bashring.
Cassette - Shimano XT 11/34T (I've got a HG61 12/36T but not sure I will need it.)
Front Derailleur - SLX M667 (Two ring specific)
Rear Derailleur - XT M770 SG (Medium cage)
Shifters - Shimano XTR M970
Brakes - Shimano XT 180mm. front 160mm. rear
Handlebar - Easton Monkey Lite XC 27"
Grips - Ergon
Headset - Cane Creek 110
Seatpost - Banshee (Really nice, light and included in the price of the frame.)
Saddle - WTB Pure
Hubs - Shimano Saint M810. Front 20mm. thru axle and rear is a Shimano 10mm. thru bolt. (The saints are published by shimano to be lighter than XT.)
Spokes and Nipples - DT Swiss
Rims - Stan's Flow
Thank you mikesee, The wheels are great and were as easy to set up tubeless with TLR tires as UST.)
Tires - Specialized Purgatory Control 2.2 2Bliss. (The Specialized tires are big as you can see. I think I'm going to like these tires.)

The stem is interesting. I asked my LBS manager if he could lend me a stem to try out as I was at a loss as to what length I would need. My intention was to get bling like a Thomson. He directed me to a wall of stems and I found a lonely nicely made but unbranded 80mm. X 7º stem which I took, It was probably a take off. I put it on inverted and it seems to be perfect. I weighed it at 115g. A Thomson Elite X4 80mm. is 155g. I may just keep it!:p

Ronnie.

Attachments

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Cool. I can relate to the indecision on the frameset front. It took a while for me to pull the trigger as well. I added your build to the all paradox all the time thread in the banshee forum. Definitely post up feedback on those tires once you get a feel for them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nice!

Very nice build. I have a large paradox with a 120mm TA drake. Amazing frame! Enjoy your new ride sir. Be prepared, it will change the way you ride...... for the better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Really sweet bike. I dig the no-name stem, Thomson is overrated jewelry-parts anyway. Yours has a really nice face-plate that shows a little window of your handlebar graphic.

Your grips and your brake levers are really rotated forward a lot, is it comfy for you in that position? I use the same ergons but I keep em set nearly parallel with the ground so I can really relax the meat of my palm into the cushion area. If it's comfy as it is, then sweet, stick with it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm building a semi-custom Ventana up almost identically, 'cept with a RS fork. I went with Ventana because I like a nice low bottom bracket, and all the slack 29er hardtails (all two of 'em) are sky high.

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
I like it!! nice looking ride! I may have to get one of those for my inner hucker.. or a Chumba HX2. The black and white is money. Enjoy.

·