Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend a good Banshee dealer that can build / ship a bike in the United States? Banshee is supposed to have new Spitfire frames in stock this month, and I am looking to get one ordered before they sell out again.

·
Registered
NS Fuzz - Avalanche, SMAC, Hadley, DT Swiss, Codes, TRP
53 Posts
Check Rhythm Cycles out of Colorado. This is my go-to shop in Denver. Good group of people, good at what they do.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check Rhythm Cycles out of Colorado. This is my go-to shop in Denver. Good group of people, good at what they do.

Thanks! Sent them an E-Mail to make sure they can ship. Will give them a call to chat through the process as well.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
I bought my paradox frame from Dirt Merchant out of Boulder, I didn't look into builds.. but they were easy to deal with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Got in touch with Chris over the phone, and he's getting me hooked up with Shawnee (the builder). Just sent my 'wish list', and we're going to chat soon about availability and next steps.

Thanks for the suggestion! If it helps give you some good shop karma / credibility, I'll be happy to let them know you sent me their way. Reply or PM me with your name, and I'll let them know next time I chat with them.

·
No Clue Crew
7,359 Posts
Dirt Merchant is the go-to for frames. You could give Spartan Rides in Chandler, AZ a shout on complete builds. Great shop, veteran-owned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dirt Merchant is the go-to for frames. You could give Spartan Rides in Chandler, AZ a shout on complete builds. Great shop, veteran-owned.
Nice! I like Spartan Rides' website and that they're veteran-owned. Already got the ball rolling with Rhythm, but will reach out to Spartan if that falls through. Thanks!

540 Posts
Frames are easy peasy and shipping soon. Complete builds can be tricky this year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: wanted to throw out another 'thank you' to @JREinMN.

Just paid for a full custom build through Rhythm Cycles. Looking like 10 days - 2 weeks pending an unforeseen delay. I'm not in a rush, so I'm not holding them to the timeline.

I've been riding a 2013 Intense Tracer 275 for the last 8 years. This was one of the first 27.5"s when the nails were being put in the 26" coffin. Quite a bit has changed since then, so I'm looking forward to what should feel like a markedly better bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update: wanted to throw out another 'thank you' to @JREinMN.

Just paid for a full custom build through Rhythm Cycles. Looking like 10 days - 2 weeks pending an unforeseen delay. I'm not in a rush, so I'm not holding them to the timeline.

I've been riding a 2013 Intense Tracer 275 for the last 8 years. This was one of the first 27.5"s when the nails were being put in the 26" coffin. Quite a bit has changed since then, so I'm looking forward to what should feel like a markedly better bike.
Congrats on the soon-to-be new ride @Greenhound386!! I'm glad Rhythm was able to come through for you. Now we just need a picture of the new weapon when you get it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on the soon-to-be new ride @Greenhound386!! I'm glad Rhythm was able to come through for you. Now we just need a picture of the new weapon when you get it.
Thanks! Didn't go budget, but didn't go all out. For Performance Elite fork, GX AXS wireless derailleur, Hope Dominion A4 brakes, Industry 9 Hydra S wheels.

I'll post up when I get it!

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
I like the A4's enough I'm running them on most of my bikes now. Will be all of them, soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the A4's enough I'm running them on most of my bikes now. Will be all of them, soon.
I waffled between those and the A2s. Couldn't find a ton of info on the A2s, but everyone raves about the A4s. A4s seem to be marketed towards DH / Enduro / heavier riders. Might be slightly overkill for my application. I am a very lightweight rider, but we do have some steep stuff out here in Southern California that require some stopping power.

I have been using Shimano XTs forever (see post above about being on the same bike for 8 years). Hopped on a buddy's bike recently, and the brakes seemed like they didn't do anything in comparison. I think they were SRAM G2s. I'm not sure if there was another issue with the brake system that made them feel that way (although it is a very new bike), or if the XTs are that much better. I come from a motorcycle background (dirt and street), and I like the feel of a lot of braking power with a lot of available modulation. Seems like the A4s do that well, so I erred on the side of going for more brakes versus less.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Finally getting around to updating this post!

As mentioned above, I went with Rhythm Cycles out of Colorado - thanks again to @JREinMN for the recommendation.

I got the bike about 2 months ago.

Small Banshee Spitfire V3 in raw.
Fox 36 Factory fork
SRAM AXS Eagle drivetrain
Hayes Dominion A4 brakes
Industry 9 Enduro S wheels

Rhythm Cycles was easy to deal with and nailed the build. I upgraded a few things throughout the process, and they were super flexible.

I've got about 120 miles on it through 15 rides or so. I did do a day at the bike park on it, and it rocked. I set bike in 'low' mode for the bike park and have been riding it that way at my local trails, and I am getting way too many pedal strikes even with 165mm cranks (rocky Southern California trails). I'll probably put it back in 'neutral' soon. As expected, I love the bike. I am coming off of a 2013 Intense Tracer 275. The Spitfire doesn't feel like a massive departure from it, but it's definitely better in a few key areas. I'm not much faster on it than my old bike, but I have a few things I am still sorting out to make it feel better. Yesterday, I found that adding pressure to the rear shock and slightly speeding up the rebound made the rear feel more plush and planted. I was running through the stroke too quickly, and my troglodyte brain kept thinking less air would equal a softer ride. Adding air - and therefore support for the shock - was the obvious solution that took me way too long to figure out. I also need to cut the bars down; they're inordinately long for my diminutive stature. I think that's going to help me corner better. So, heading in the right direction, and I'm sure the bike will be even better with some more small tweaks.

One of the photos attached is from New Bike Day; freshly assembled out of the box. The other is the bike finally getting a wash this past weekend. My 3-year-old son - don't let the long hair fool you - likes to wash his bike whenever dad does.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice ride 👍🏻
Running through the travel and having not enough ground clearance - how much sag do you run? Do you have in mind that you should not set it to ~28% of shock stroke, but rear wheel travel?
This is about 13,5mm to 15mm at the shock - may be worth a try.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice ride 👍🏻
Running through the travel and having not enough ground clearance - how much sag do you run? Do you have in mind that you should not set it to ~28% of shock stroke, but rear wheel travel?
This is about 13,5mm to 15mm at the shock - may be worth a try.
I recently set the sag at 14mm (Banshee's site suggests 14mm to 16mm).

I was previously eyeballing it at around 30% of shock stroke. I eventually realized that was too much. Need some more time at 14mm to see how much the pedal strikes will reduce.

I could probably avoid some with better line choice as well!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Finally getting around to updating this post!

As mentioned above, I went with Rhythm Cycles out of Colorado - thanks again to @JREinMN for the recommendation.

I got the bike about 2 months ago.

Small Banshee Spitfire V3 in raw.
Fox 36 Factory fork
SRAM AXS Eagle drivetrain
Hayes Dominion A4 brakes
Industry 9 Enduro S wheels

Rhythm Cycles was easy to deal with and nailed the build. I upgraded a few things throughout the process, and they were super flexible.

I've got about 120 miles on it through 15 rides or so. I did do a day at the bike park on it, and it rocked. I set bike in 'low' mode for the bike park and have been riding it that way at my local trails, and I am getting way too many pedal strikes even with 165mm cranks (rocky Southern California trails). I'll probably put it back in 'neutral' soon. As expected, I love the bike. I am coming off of a 2013 Intense Tracer 275. The Spitfire doesn't feel like a massive departure from it, but it's definitely better in a few key areas. I'm not much faster on it than my old bike, but I have a few things I am still sorting out to make it feel better. Yesterday, I found that adding pressure to the rear shock and slightly speeding up the rebound made the rear feel more plush and planted. I was running through the stroke too quickly, and my troglodyte brain kept thinking less air would equal a softer ride. Adding air - and therefore support for the shock - was the obvious solution that took me way too long to figure out. I also need to cut the bars down; they're inordinately long for my diminutive stature. I think that's going to help me corner better. So, heading in the right direction, and I'm sure the bike will be even better with some more small tweaks.

One of the photos attached is from New Bike Day; freshly assembled out of the box. The other is the bike finally getting a wash this past weekend. My 3-year-old son - don't let the long hair fool you - likes to wash his bike whenever dad does.
[/QU
That's a good-looking rig! The SMAC bars are a nice touch. I've been using those for a long time. Shawnee nailed the dimensions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts