Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am about to buy a Chap. But I really have no idea what the weight of the frame including a rear shock is.
On the banshee hp they claim 4.3kg but they do not say how it has been measured.

Can maybe someone of you give me an idea what weight I have to expect (size M).

tkanks

greetz

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
ichkriegediekriese said:
Hi!
Can maybe someone of you give me an idea what weight I have to expect
A LOT. Like over 10 pounds easy. I think Go-Ride said 10.5 or 10.75 with shock.

It's either really short on travel for its weight or it's absurdly heavy for its travel, take your pick. I love the description claiming a possible 27 pound bike weight, I'd love to see one. What good would a 10 pound frame be if you're riding a Skareb and CrossMax SL's?!?!

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
yeah, go-ride measured it at 10.75

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
If you're buying a Banshee, why do you care about the weight?

Forget the weight, think burly. Don't be a puss.

The Chap rides/pedals extremely well for its heft, but its all about strong frame-age, not weight watching.

·
Registered
798 Posts
it's about 2 lbs heavier then most bikes in it's class... mine is like 39 or 40 built up... it could be lighter if I tried... 2.6's on beefy rims add alot to that... I would not trade off the stiffness and general burly-ness to cut weight though... (unless someone wants to give me some deemax's :) It pedals fantastic and doesnt feel heavy even if it "is" that's all that matters to me.. I hate braking stuff and then having my bike in the shop while I want to ride.... Living in Maine already cuts down on riding time in general...

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
pdirt said:
11 pds with Romic...

weight=strength.

ya won't be dissapointed.

It's not an XC bike though, that's for sure.

It's a "light freeride" frame that is totally rad...( light meaning your not gonna drop 8' to flat with it...)
Praise the Lord!

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
pdirt said:
11 pds with Romic...

weight=strength.

ya won't be dissapointed.
Common misconception, but the truth is that good engineering=strength.

Simply overbuilding (as banshee does) does not always work out...

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would hesitate to say that Banshee 'simply overbuilds' as I've only seen or heard or one banshee breaking...they are heavy, but they don't break either, so there must be some good engineering there too. All I know is the dudes riding Screams and Chaps around here go stupid huge, land hard, and their bikes are fine...always.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Jm. said:

That's a good generalized answer...and that true.....those walmart bikes that weigh 50 lbs arent known for the long-term durability..... as it pertains to the banshee, well jm I dont know how many of them you've thrown a leg over, But owning one I can tell you that it is overbuilt, but that alone isnt the only thing....it's also made well too....the welds on mine are flawless...... I have taken a 8 to flat once on it.... no flex or fuss.....yeah it didnt feel that smooth as 8 feet is just friggin high but no problems from the bike.

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Jm. said:

My statement was in regards to my Chap, not a misleading generalization of the laws of physics, but thanks for 'trying to clarfiy' what you 'thought I meant', anyway...

:)

Here's a pic of me dropping on my simply overbuilt Chap, up on Grannies kitchen in Falls City...

simply fun as hell.

Attachments

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
pdirt said:
11 pds with Romic...

weight=strength.

It's a "light freeride" frame that is totally rad...( light meaning your not gonna drop 8' to flat with it...)
My Turner RFX frame weighs a full 2 pounds less. I dare you to break it first doing the same things. There is a certain point where the margin for error becomes excessive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I have decided that the Chap i just too heavy for my weight (70kg) an riding style (no killer drops). I decided too by an Alutech Wildsau Enduro (german bike) www.wildsau.com . It is much lighter and still very strong with 170mm rear Travel on 190mm Fox Shock. And the big plus ist that it is custom build with "little extras" if you want it.
I

thanks

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
ichkriegediekriese said:
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I have decided that the Chap i just too heavy for my weight (70kg) an riding style (no killer drops). I decided too by an Alutech Wildsau Enduro (german bike) www.wildsau.com . It is much lighter and still very strong with 170mm rear Travel on 190mm Fox Shock. And the big plus ist that it is custom build with "little extras" if you want it.
I

thanks
Huh. Those actually look like pretty killer frames. Can't knock German engineering either I guess. And I heard those Germans never overbuild anything either. :rolleyes:

But, what I don't get is these knuckleheads (You know who you are) that cry "boo-hoo Banshee(or anything else for that matter)...it's a 2lb heavier frame.....overbuilt....blee blee blee blah blah".

You're in the wrong forum man. Weight whiners go here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Have you guys even put your ass on what you're crying about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not a wheight weene or how you call it. I just have to ride the hill up before I want to go down. So if I can just save 1KG by the frame without making compromises for my riding style I go for it :D . Sure the Banshee is stronger..no doubt but the wildsau is strong enough for me...

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
ichkriegediekriese said:
I am not a wheight weene or how you call it. I just have to ride the hill up before I want to go down. So if I can just save 1KG by the frame without making compromises for my riding style I go for it :D . Sure the Banshee is stronger..no doubt but the wildsau is strong enough for me...
Take it easy, I wasn't referring to you.

There's a couple of guys on this forum, that as soon as the word Banshee is mentioned, they start screaming "weight, 2 lbs heavier, weight, ahhh....ahhhhh....".

As far riding up goes, same thing here, up before down, and my Chap handles it just fine.

It's all preference. I'm a big strappin' lad, so I need "overbuilt", else I'll crush the frame when I land on it.

Like I said, those wildsau frames look pretty killa. And the one you chose has a very similar design to the Chap, Transition Dirtbag, Konas, etc. which are all great rides.

I'm sure it will rip.

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
e[I said:
o]Take it easy, I wasn't referring to you.

There's a couple of guys on this forum, that as soon as the word Banshee is mentioned, they start screaming "weight, 2 lbs heavier, weight, ahhh....ahhhhh....".
You're passionate about how great they are, we're passionate about how silly overbuilt they are. Nobody's wrong. I still dare you to break my bike first. ;)

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Bulldog said:
You're passionate about how great they are, we're passionate about how silly overbuilt they are. Nobody's wrong. I still dare you to break my bike first. ;)
Whatever.
Some guys like tanks, some guys like matchsticks.
To each his own.

But, you don't want me on your bike. :D

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
e[I said:
o]Huh. Those actually look like pretty killer frames. Can't knock German engineering either I guess. And I heard those Germans never overbuild anything either. :rolleyes:

But, what I don't get is these knuckleheads (You know who you are) that cry "boo-hoo Banshee(or anything else for that matter)...it's a 2lb heavier frame.....overbuilt....blee blee blee blah blah".

You're in the wrong forum man. Weight whiners go here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Have you guys even put your ass on what you're crying about?
word.

,and ..btw:

I could buy 2 banshee's for the price of homey's Turner... don't get me wrong, Turners are very nice, but I'm a low budget roller, Banshee suits me just fine... and they are killer guys to deal with. I mean you can call Pip right now, anybody can, he is that accessible.. try that with Turner.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts