Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Banner Forest Google Earth Map - PDF available too!

Banner Forest GE Map.zip is attached to this message. It contains:

1) Google Earth KML file of an updated map of the Banner Forest Trails (March 2009)
2) Text file with lengths of trails in feet (Ironically, it came to the length of a marathon)

Tracks were set using a Garmin 60CSx GPS. PM me is you want the GPX data file.

Anyone needing a copy of Google Earth can get it here: http://earth.google.com/

Additionally, you can download the map in a PDF format for printing.
(Right mouse-click hyperlink below and "Save Target As")

http://home.wavecable.com/~m371h841l/myvideos/BannerMap.pdf (Keep checking back to this link for updates in the future)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Very nice, looks like there's room for a few more miles of trail.
Please on the single track ride THROUGH the puddles not around them or the trail will no longer be single track.

Pics from my ride last Sunday.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
bljacobs said:
Awesome.. what do the different colors represent?

Brian
Nothing... I tried to use a minimum of colors to make the trail separation apparent. Basically, no one color touches another (with the exception of some old moto trails). My priority of color use was (green, blue, yellow, pink). The forest service road and main access trails were additionally separated for clarity (Banner Slough, Banner Alley and Tunnel Vision).

Some trails have multiple other trails intersecting them, I had one of the "locals" (KC) guide me around and clarify the start and stopping points of trails, but some of this seems to be up to conjecture depending whom I'm talking to. For example, some of the trails intersecting the "Tunnel Vision Spur" that diverts to the west of the ponds" (Mantis, Echoes, Flying Squirrel). The map is still an ongoing work and will be subject to some modifications as I become aware of the need.

Just to be clear; I had nothing to do with the building or maintenance of these trails. However there are a groups of people that have put many hours maintaining and building trails at Banner (some for twenty years), we're all lucky to have these people. Also the Quimper Trails group to the north for Gibbs and Anderson, and Fisher (no nancies) and KMB at Newberry. I'm not sure who's doing what at Green Mountain; DNR, Equestrians , Mission Creek Corrections all seemed to be involved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
map on iphone?

I opened this page on safari on my Iphone and then tried to download the google earth map. Yes I do have the GE ap on my phone. But when I click on the link, safari says it can't open it. I also tried searching "banner forest map'" on GE but that put me in wisconsin. Any ideas how to get map to show up on my Iphone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mark, you are the man....The PDF map is really good and I had no problem riding for 3 hours on saturday (first time) with it tucked in my shorts. There are signs occasionally (look up higher in the trees). The only slight problem I had was following Wally World as I think there are some new trails or signs don't jive with the map. I followed a trail marked "Wayne's World" which seemed to be near Cougar Knoll. I'm going back with my son soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Further, On Wally World the confusing area was where there is a newer sign with "Big Hill" and "Easy Out" near a big log ride and a jump. Not exactly sure where this is on the map....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice map. I can finally do this without a map (took me 6 rides though). Great place for those in the South Sound area. Here is a pic of the teeter-totter on stumps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GPX data file for Banner

I cant PM you as I am a new member and must have 10 post before I can PM. Can you please send me the GPX file. Should work for me, I have a Garmin 705 Edge.

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts