Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted this in the 650b section as well as here. Not sure where I will get the best feedback so I'll try both!!

I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I'm very small (4'10) and was sized at my LBS and interested in a Giant Lust 2 or 1. When I search there is a lot of positive buzz about the Giant lineup for women which I'm pleased. I don't know a ton about components, suspension, brakes, etc and when talking with the LBS they said either would work well for my riding style.

Will I notice a difference between the two bikes? The LBS said the suspension is very similar as well as the brakes and components. The tires and saddle are the major differences. I would upgrade to tubeless on either bike.

Should I spend a bit more and get the tubeless ready tires on the Lust 1 or save to upgrade the Lust 2 to tubeless wheels? Will I then just break even? I know the cost of tires can be expensive.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wouldn't spend more just to get the tyres but all round the 1 has a better component package and will be a good bit lighter. Given you are so tiny this may be a factor to consider.
Both are great bikes but if it were me I would lean towards the 1 with better suspension and drive train plus better hubs

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
They are probably right that either would work for you, but it doesn't sound like they did a good job explaining the differences. The specs are a lot different, as well they should be for the price difference.

I would go back at an un-busy time and try to make clear you are not a tire-kicker, and tell them you want to understand the difference between the two. You may need to find a more experienced salesperson. Try not to let your eyes glaze over, and if they get too technical for your knowledge level, try to steer them back to what that would mean to you on the trail, or in durability/ease of maintenance. Assuming they are in stock, they should weigh them for you too. If you can test ride, be sure to try the shifters on both as those are very different systems and you may prefer one or the other. Also, keep in mind that lighter wheels will make more of a difference in the ride (per ounce) than overall weight, so ask about that.

A fun problem to have, enjoy!

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
They are probably right that either would work for you, but it doesn't sound like they did a good job explaining the differences. The specs are a lot different, as well they should be for the price difference.

I would go back at an un-busy time and try to make clear you are not a tire-kicker, and tell them you want to understand the difference between the two.
This. Have you had a chance to demo them? Not ride around the parking lot but on the actual trails where you'll be riding? When you are dropping a good deal of money on a bike, the last thing you want to do is have to made numerous upgrades...and as you grow with a bike there are two things that can happen: you grow into your bike or your grow out of it and begin upgrading. A few upgrades here and there is one thing, but you do want to make sure that you are getting a bike that you will grow into over the long haul.

The specs on the 1 are much, much better...however, your riding style would determine whether or not you would notice a huge difference.

Big differences: 1 = Rockshox 2 = Fox, both are great suspension systems but people tend to prefer one or the other based on their riding style. They do ride differently. But both are good suspension systems. Shocks are expensive to replace. These are a major consideration.

2 = deore Shimano components (lower end specs - they work well but aren't the best),
1 = SRAM X-7 and X-9 components. (Essentially, the equivalent of Shimano XL and XT - one step up from deore)
If you ride long miles, you will notice a difference between the two. Higher end components do shift better and tend to be more consistent. Again, how much your ride and what your riding style is would determine whether or not you would notice a difference. And if you went with 2 and decided later to upgrade these specs it would cost around $1,200 new - it's a pretty penny.

The brakes on 1 are also better. 2's brakes bottom of the barrel for Shimano's brake line. If there is one thing on your bike that should always be top notch, it's brakes. I would even consider upgrading further from Avid Elixir to Shimano XT or XTR. It's a few hundred dollars well spent.

Either would be a good choice. Definitely go in with some knowledge, test both if you can, ask hard questions about the specs and the differences, and be honest about your riding style and what you want out of a bike. For some, the higher price + higher end components would be worth it (and there is a difference) for others, the lower price + good components is a great bargain.

Enjoy your bike whatever you decide and have fun with it! Buying a new bike is awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions and explanations! I went back to the shop this afternoon and had a good chat breaking everything down with the guys at the LBS. I have decided to order the Lust 1 and by next weekend I should have some mud on her!

I'll send along a few pics as well :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.