Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I'm very small (4'10) and was sized at my LBS and interested in a Giant Lust 2 or 1. When I search there is a lot of positive buzz about the Giant lineup for women which I'm pleased. I don't know a ton about components, suspension, brakes, etc and when talking with the LBS they said either would work well for my riding style.

Will I notice a difference between the two bikes? The LBS said the suspension is very similar as well as the brakes and components. The tires and saddle are the major differences. I would upgrade to tubeless on either bike.

Should I spend a bit more and get the tubeless ready tires on the Lust 1 or save to upgrade the Lust 2 to tubeless wheels? Will I then just break even? I know the cost of tires can be expensive.

Thanks for your help!!! :cool:

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The component package for the Lust 1 has real benefits beyond the wheels. Of course you start with tubeless ready tires which work well as tubeless (I have them as tubeless) and you get the original tubes to use as spares on the trail. The shifters, cogset, and brakes are a real upgrade which improve the experience.

Th fork is a very nice quality improvement, too. Of real value, though, is that the bike will be noticeably lighter which, as a smaller gal, will be a bonus you will never regret. Further the better controls will require less force for good performance. You'll like that, too.

So if you have the coin, I say go for the Lust 1.

Addendum: I can't say that I understand why a bike shop person who is supposed to know better gave you the analysis he did. Maybe they don't want to pressure you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike! I think the bike shop didn't want me to feel pressured at all. They are giving me a bit of a price drop as well for the Lust 1 at $3,000 vs $3,200 msrp. I think I know which bike I'm going with!

·
Registered
467 Posts
you will love the Lust 1, it was the bike I was going to get my wife until we got the Giant rep to get a Lust Advance 1 for her instead.

I think that Lust 1 setup tubeless will come in around 25lbs. Pretty light for a FS bike. Get you some carbon bars, carbon seatpost and some nicer wheels down the road and you will prob drop another pound off of the bike. The wheels on that bike are decent, hub engagement is the only bad part. They weight in around 2000g so if you do get some wheels look into the Giant P-xcr1 wheels. They are 1655g, tubeless ready and have DT Swiss internals in the hubs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas for down the road. I have done a few casual races and just ride for fun right now 3-4 days a week. Weight isn't a huge factor when I ride but now it might be ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
be surprised at how much that weight affects spin up while on the trail. My wife noticed it immediately when going from her 29'er to the LA2, hoping she likes the wheels when I swap them over as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please let us know your thoughts if you get either one. Looking to upgrade my wife's ride and would love some first hand experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts