Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a shoot out…. In the blue corner is a 05 Super Moto setup with 7”s of travel front and back. In the Green corner is a 04 La Bruja setup with 6”s front and back.

The controls and drivetrains of these two bikes are set up vary similar. Sram twist shifters, derailleurs & chains, Juicy 7 brakes, FSA cranks, Marzocchi Forks, Fox rear shocks, and Kenda Tires. Both fit into the dream bike category for me and can easily plaster a grin ear to ear on my face the moment the trail turns technical or hitting the lip of the first jump/obstacle. But where is the fun in that, we’re here to compare the two.

The Super Moto is built up a little heavier with a 66light eta and fox dhx4.0 coil and is perfectly balanced. Although this bike is marketed as a swiss army knife, I can not see building it in any other fashion. Why ride it as a 6 incher when 7 inches is only one pivot hole away. In this trim the SM contours to the terrain and small roots, rocks, ruts, etc disappear as the rear suspension tracks the ground effortlessly. It’s kinda funny that I can feel the 66 working to keep up with the smoothness of the rear triangle. The SM excels at speed and is super stable on the ground and in the air. With its high bottom bracket it makes clearing east coast obstacles and riding skinnies a breeze. However, the seatmast is very tall and the effective toptube length is .5” shorter than claimed. This would not be to bad but I am on the limit between a medium and large frame and do feel a bit cramped on it especially when the ground points up. If it weren’t for the eta I would not be comfortable for long climbs which this bike does very well for its size even being a bit short for me. This is my #1 pic for shuttle trips, stunts and rides when we’re all on our heavy hitters.

The La Bruja popped up right after I had done a ride on the SM that included a 3 hour climb before the well awaited decent. Well I always wanted to try one and who am I to justify another bike purchase. So it arrived with a 5th element coil shock where the reservoir would contact the frame before full compression. This was removed before the frame was built up and replaced with a DHXair. In order to differentiate it from the SM, originally built with a Pike and lighter wheelset and was more of a trail bike that could take a hit or two. In this setup the bike could be flicked around with ease and could easily contend climbs with friends on 4-5” bikes and launch forward the moment the trail went down. It also handled the short up – down – up – down trails very well. But the rear suspension did not track as well at speed as my 5” bike or SM and suffered from lots of shock wallow, the witch also begged for slacker angles and to be ridden more aggressively so changes were made. Now with a stronger/bigger wheelset and a 6” Z1eta the front track so smooth it scares me; railing corners at speeds that I never thought possible it just boosting my confidence and is helping me to push my personal limits. The rear is holding its own but is definitely working hard to keep up with the front. It has been a hard search but a brand new vanilla rc pp just showed up yesterday so I can’t wait to try the witch the way it was designed to be. As it is this is my pic for fun rides getting a bit nuts and will be my weapon for Super D this season.

So what would you change or suggest? Anyone with a dhx-c on their witch?

Attachments

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
I really like my Vanilla RC rear shock w PUSH race system mods on the Witch ! Another option ( I heard fits the Bruja ) is the Avalanche Chubie but haven't tried or heard how it performs at least on Ventana frames ! TIG.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Titus/Ventana shoot out

so here's the bruja/supermoto comp., you sneaked it past me. a good read for sure. i feel even better about the Ventana now that i've read your write up. i can most definately relate to the Bruja needing a 6" fork & how absolutely dreamy it feels on the trails that offer lots of short ups & downs w/ a whole lot of railing to do in between. that's pretty much my usual stomping grounds. mine came w/ the stock RC which did feel good but believe me, a Pushed RC will give you the feel to match the front that i think you're looking for.once i had that last piece of the puzzle in place it was pretty much total satisfaction. i know there are newer bikes from great builders out there, but i truly do not feel the need to
get anything else. not for what i'm doing anyway. i did spend 3 weeks riding an '06 RFX w/ the same fork , a Marz by the way, very similarly setup w/ a DHX coil & as much as liked the bike , there was certainly no feeling the Bruja afterwards not cutting it. i was more than happy to get back on it. let us know what you think about the new RC. ride on.;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
truly I would be happy with either but they both have their advantages on certain trails. I'm looking forward to trying some coils on the ventana to see if the rear will track as good as the front. The chubbie was on my short list of shocks that were known to fit but at $700 there were other projects that were more entertaining. I will post an update once I settle on a shock.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
FoShizzle said:
dude, i am serious.....happened on the 29er forum too. Rainman had to delete about 50 posts that did this same thing...i swear i am not retarded
No doubt.......... but its still funny ! Have you had a chance to try out your Chubie yet ? Is it custom tuned for the rider kind of like PUSH mods on Fox shocks ? TIG.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anyone with a dhx-c on their witch?[/QUOTE]

Yep, here.
Mine came with a DHX4 and I had to Push it since fox could not fix it...quite a revelation when I got it back. That day I rode with my mate creationrebel who has a Bruja w. unpushed Vanilla and we swapped bikes. Gotta say they both have their virtues...but the DHX feels so incredibly solid at high speeds and in otherwise hairy off-camber stuff, and no 'wallow'. So my air/air X5 was kind of out of commission since then.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
PCinSC said:
Of course if that were true you'd realize that you can go back and edit the posts to change the content and to indicate that they're duplicate posts... :p
of course that would imply i were not lazy you big deadlifting freak!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.