Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BAMF hits my bike budget perfectly. I was at the LBS and was having a hard time staying in that budget. I've only owned Giant bikes before, nothing special. I rode a Giant Talon 1 29er last night and loved it but it's too expensive, I'm determined to stay in my budget.

I am worried that nobody local carries either of these brands for me to test ride, and the local shops won't budge on their price. Giantnerd has a good return policy at least...

I don't know much about components but I'm trying to learn.

BAMF Premium Spec:

http://www.giantnerd.com/bamf-grappler-29er-mountain-bike.html

BAMF Bad Ass 6061 Custom Aluminum 29" Frame
RockShox Dart 3 29" Suspension Fork
Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc Brakes
SRAM X.4 Rear Derailleur
SRAM X.4 Trigger Shifters
WTB FX-28 Disc Rims and Prowler SL Tires
Truvativ Five-D 42/32/22 Crankset
BAMF Handlebars, Stem and Seatpost
BAMF MTB saddle.

DiamondBack Premium Spec

http://www.giantnerd.com/diamondback-overdrive-pro-mountain-bike.html

Rock Shox Reba SL 100mm Travel Front Fork w/ Motion Control & Lockout
Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc Brakes
SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur
Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
SRAM SX.5 9-spd Trigger Shifters

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm interested in these as well. I talked to the giantnerd place for the BAMF, and they claim with my 30" inseam I'll have an extra inch of standover on the 18" frame, which I have been unable to find thus far on a 29er.

The diamond back also has a pretty good standover, 18" frame at 30 inches, which is about 8mm less than the Talus 29er or REI House brand frame.

I'm just weary of the bamf brand, because of so little reviews. There is only one on amazon, and that's it besides reviews on the retailer itself giantnerd.

I'd go with a BD fantom 29er, but a 15" fame is too small, and the 17" has insufficient standover for me.

These are about my last options before I give up and go back to looking for a 26er.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Overdrive comp is probably more comparable, seeing how comparing a 499$ bike to a 599$ one, obviously the specs on the bamf are better. The pro is nice, but personally I'm trying to stay at 800 or less. Dick's in my region doesn't stock any Overdrives, so I have the risk of buying either one sight unseen, which is a little scary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmm, well the only issue with the BAMF is that its a lesser known brand. So it could be more difficult to find parts and info online. Either will let you get out there and get a feel for mountain biking. I believe that both bikes are mid-level and have very similar components. However, I would highly recommend that you get one with at least 3x9 (27) speeds, especially on a 29'er.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.