Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to balance out my braking on my up/down type of riding. So the solution has become metallics on the rear and resins on the front, sure beats two fingers on the rear Vee's and 1 on the front! :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
another reason I like my canti brakes

nice thing about canti brakes, you can tune them by varying the length of the straddle cable. lower for max power, higher for a crisper feel but less power. and with grafton and avid levers which I have, and maybe others I don't know about, you can adjust the mechanical advantage of the lever by changing the positon of the pivot, you physically reposition the pin in one of 4 available holes with the graftons, and turn a dial to achieve the same thing with the avids -- well, technically with the avids you're not changing the pivot location, but point at which the cable anchors, which results in the same adjustability. I think Paul's is it? that offered two cable positions with their levers.

I always set my brakes so the front activates with the lever closer to the grip than does the rear, which reminds me not to grab a handful of front lever.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
I've been looking to balance out my braking on my up/down type of riding. So the solution has become metallics on the rear and resins on the front, sure beats two fingers on the rear Vee's and 1 on the front! :)
I use metallics on both ends most of the time. I can easily tune the feel/balance of my Avid discs with the red knobs no matter what the pads are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.