Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

In my early mountain biking year, I spent a few summer in the USA.
Of course, I was reading MTBA at this time, and I saw some add for a mountain bike with "two" front shox.
I recently saw (and missed) one on ebay.
did anybody ride these bike?
I think the brand was Balance, but i'm also pretty sure I saw some under the "manitou" name.
if anyone as any information on these really cool looking vintage bike, please help.
is it any good to ride? easy to find?

thanks a lot
tom4

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Balance was american, and several companies have offered that style of suspension frame, some decades before Manitou ever existed. Its a simple way to do rear suspension on a frame (bicycle or motorcycle). Balance offered two versions of the rear suspension, the lower models got RST supplied shocks and the upper models used ProForx supplied shock assemblies. Essentially the shocks were a modified suspension fork, with shorter sliders designed to fit the dropout pivots on the frames. The one pictured above looks like the proforx version but it'd be easier to tell if it wasn't a side shot. The Proforx version had a nicer machined brace assembly as a major recognition feature (different decals too but those were often worn off/removed after they became scratched).

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I don't know how to highlight other threads but this one "Balance or Living X bikes? anyone?" has a little info and a picture of one that I have. I've yet to build it so I don't know how it rides. Sorry..oops, just figured it out I think...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=236787

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You know what the raddest thing ever would be...

...finding a Westpine front brake for a Manitou fork, and bolting it on to the rear end of one of those bikes. And of course adding an aftermarket damper from White Brothers and a set of coil springs for the rear as well!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
slimboy... we KNOW... there are other threads on the manitou, marin, and balance bikes already. Hell, some of us OWNED them (my manitou is now hanging over my tv in the living room, and I sold my balance about 5 years ago).

uphiller... even though the leverage ratio on the manitou frames is quite low, there's not much point in using coils on it since they used the same elastomers as the forks, which really aren't up to the challenge of 80% of your bodyweight all the time. I had to run the firm elastomer stack in mine with maximum preload just to get the sag right. Englund never made total air cartridges for the manitou rear suspensions either (at the time the frames were being made, Englund was still doing their oil-damper cartridge kits for Manitou 3/4 forks, and their long travel kits for Mag-20s. They didn't develop the total air cartridges until 1996, and Manitou switched to their linkage frames that year, so not much point to make air cartridges for the older frames.

As to the westpines, never got around to ordering one for my frame as I already was running an Adventure components brace to have better clearance and stiffness over the stock manitou brace.

·
Registered
140 Posts
slimboy... we KNOW... there are other threads on the manitou, marin, and balance bikes already. Hell, some of us OWNED them (my manitou is now hanging over my tv in the living room, and I sold my balance about 5 years ago).

sorry , just trying to HELP :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
could anybody give me the name of the marin ?
I'll be looking for one on the bay from, uhm, now

tom4, if anyone has one for sale (marin, manitou ou balance) et is ok to send it to france, let me know:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
they were called the FRS , 4 versions

PINE MOUNTAIN FRS = STEEL

TEAM FRS = ALUMINIUM ( the one above , mine )

TI FRS = TITANIUM

NAIL TRAIL FRS = ALUMINIUM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.