Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have one and it has bothered me for at least 10 years. I can't bend my knee past 120 degrees because of the cyst. I have been told and discouraged about having it removed because they will come back and it is a complicated procedure because of artery locations. Seems to be caused by some knee injury or arthritis. Some people have them drained and experience relief but they do reoccur. I still cycle 3-4 times per week around 30-40 miles. Good luck

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I have one after my mc/acl blowup. It was drained once but came back. It has reduced. If I stand on my feet (teaching) it will blow up so I wear a elastic sleeve for those situations. I had good results with them taping it with sport tape for drainage. The "ball" is attached to the back of the knee with the "arms" going doing the calf.

Yellow Human leg Joint Knee Black

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one and it has bothered me for at least 10 years. I can't bend my knee past 120 degrees because of the cyst. I have been told and discouraged about having it removed because they will come back and it is a complicated procedure because of artery locations. Seems to be caused by some knee injury or arthritis. Some people have them drained and experience relief but they do reoccur. I still cycle 3-4 times per week around 30-40 miles. Good luck
sounds about 50% good & bad. thanks for your response

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one after my mc/acl blowup. It was drained once but came back. It has reduced. If I stand on my feet (teaching) it will blow up so I wear a elastic sleeve for those situations. I had good results with them taping it with sport tape for drainage. The "ball" is attached to the back of the knee with the "arms" going doing the calf.

View attachment 1268365
did you have surgery for the mc/acl injury? if so, did you see the surgeon after the cyst showed up? was it the surgeon who drained it?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
MCL was healed by being in a brace for 6 weeks, then ACL reconstruction with hamstring.
The surgeon drained the cyst once when it was huge ( over 5cc of fluid removed) but he wouldn't drain it a second time because it wasn't big enough. I'm almost 2 years out from surgery and it's pretty reduced most of the time now.
The $10 elastic sleeve "knee brace" you can get at Wal-Mart worked the best for me for compression which would keep it from blowing up.

The sport tape "octopus" was done by the PTs at the place where I train. It was very effective for helping to reduce the cyst tho some people thought I got inked.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MCL was healed by being in a brace for 6 weeks, then ACL reconstruction with hamstring.
The surgeon drained the cyst once when it was huge ( over 5cc of fluid removed) but he wouldn't drain it a second time because it wasn't big enough. I'm almost 2 years out from surgery and it's pretty reduced most of the time now.
The $10 elastic sleeve "knee brace" you can get at Wal-Mart worked the best for me for compression which would keep it from blowing up.

The sport tape "octopus" was done by the PTs at the place where I train. It was very effective for helping to reduce the cyst tho some people thought I got inked.
thanks for the details. i'll be shopping @ Walmart tomorrow, but as for the PT's sports tape, i think i'll go for the ink instead since it'll be working 'round the clock;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.