Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Race #8 of the WI Endurance Mountain Bike Series commenced Saturday evening at 8:00pm. With an afternoon of scattered showers and threatening skies overhead the field went off with Lamanns start into the darkness of the night. The top five 12 Hour Solo riders in the overall series were present including series leader Chris Shotz. Currently I reside in 2nd with a hard charging Rich Lytle less than 10 points behind in 3rd for the overall.

Chris immediatly took the lead with Rich slotting behind and me on his wheel. Chris dissapeared into the night and I shadowed Rich for the first three laps. Rich lost his battery out of his pack and I moved into 2nd. Doing the right thing I did not attack but settled into an easy pace to recover for a bit while Rich chased back. After he caught back on and followed my wheel for a bit I heard him exit the trail off into the bushes. I continued my recovery pace while Rich chased back again. I knew the efforts he was making were probably going to come into play in the end. I had only done rolling stops up to this point to grab bottles through the pits which helped me start to pull away. At 12:30am I finally took my first stop to change batteries. I continued to hold a slight lead over 3rd place and chipped away at the lead of Shotz while temp.'s dropped, winds increased, and intermittent rain showers came down. By 3:30am I was told by the timing personel that I was only 2 min.'s back so I picked up the pace and focused on riding the fast technical course as smoothe and efficient as possible. Finally I saw the leader's lights through the switchbacks on an early portion of the course. I knew I was closing in. I'm not sure if the pressure I was putting on the lead came into play but an untimely fumble in the roots by the leader resulting in a mechanical allowed me to take the lead.

I rolled in for a battery change at 4:30am. With 3.5 hours to go I put in 2 hours of hard riding and extended my lead to 2nd. I was able to put it into cruise control for the final hours to secure the win two laps up on 2nd scoring me valuable points for the overall going into next weeks championship 100 mile race. 125 miles, 11.5hr.'s of riding through dust, turned to slick mud, and back to tacky trail through super techy rocks and roots and my Stryker Lights performed great. I was running a Pro on my helmet and Stryker on the bars mostly on Medium to conserve battery life until the final hours when I ran them both on high. The beam was easy on the eyes and cut through the dust, rain, and early morning fog. I couldn't be happier with my lights and the continued support of Shannon and Baja Designs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Race #8 of the WI Endurance Mountain Bike Series commenced Saturday evening at 8:00pm. With an afternoon of scattered showers and threatening skies overhead the field went off with Lamanns start into the darkness of the night. The top five 12 Hour Solo riders in the overall series were present including series leader Chris Shotz. Currently I reside in 2nd with a hard charging Rich Lytle less than 10 points behind in 3rd for the overall.

Chris immediatly took the lead with Rich slotting behind and me on his wheel. Chris dissapeared into the night and I shadowed Rich for the first three laps. Rich lost his battery out of his pack and I moved into 2nd. Doing the right thing I did not attack but settled into an easy pace to recover for a bit while Rich chased back. After he caught back on and followed my wheel for a bit I heard him exit the trail off into the bushes. I continued my recovery pace while Rich chased back again. I knew the efforts he was making were probably going to come into play in the end. I had only done rolling stops up to this point to grab bottles through the pits which helped me start to pull away. At 12:30am I finally took my first stop to change batteries. I continued to hold a slight lead over 3rd place and chipped away at the lead of Shotz while temp.'s dropped, winds increased, and intermittent rain showers came down. By 3:30am I was told by the timing personel that I was only 2 min.'s back so I picked up the pace and focused on riding the fast technical course as smoothe and efficient as possible. Finally I saw the leader's lights through the switchbacks on an early portion of the course. I knew I was closing in. I'm not sure if the pressure I was putting on the lead came into play but an untimely fumble in the roots by the leader resulting in a mechanical allowed me to take the lead.

I rolled in for a battery change at 4:30am. With 3.5 hours to go I put in 2 hours of hard riding and extended my lead to 2nd. I was able to put it into cruise control for the final hours to secure the win two laps up on 2nd scoring me valuable points for the overall going into next weeks championship 100 mile race. 125 miles, 11.5hr.'s of riding through dust, turned to slick mud, and back to tacky trail through super techy rocks and roots and my Stryker Lights performed great. I was running a Pro on my helmet and Stryker on the bars mostly on Medium to conserve battery life until the final hours when I ran them both on high. The beam was easy on the eyes and cut through the dust, rain, and early morning fog. I couldn't be happier with my lights and the continued support of Shannon and Baja Designs. :thumbsup:
Yaaayyy!!! Way to kick some butt!! Thanks for the update and big congrats on the win! Let me know if you need anything.

Shannon

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
....my Stryker Lights performed great. I was running a Pro on my helmet and Stryker on the bars mostly on Medium to conserve battery life until the final hours when I ran them both on high. The beam was easy on the eyes and cut through the dust, rain, and early morning fog. I couldn't be happier with my lights and the continued support of Shannon and Baja Designs. :thumbsup:
...are these the new versions with XM-L's or the older ones? Just curious....and while I'm asking questions...What mode level did you run most of the time? Did you use both lights at the same time or as needed?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...are these the new versions with XM-L's or the older ones? Just curious....and while I'm asking questions...What mode level did you run most of the time? Did you use both lights at the same time or as needed?
These are the 2011 models, not the supercharged Strykr's. Although I'm hoping Shannon can set me up with a pair of those for 2012.;) Maybe even a double Strykr.:eekster:

I ran both lights at the same time. The Pro on the helmet and Strykr on the bars with flood reflector. The course was almost entirely singletrack so you needed the ability see far ahead, I had the bar light positioned up the trail, yet there were a bunch of switchbacks so the Pro on the helmet took care of illuminating where you were looking. I had the helmet light position so the beam was just in front of the bar light. Long story short the bar light handled the distance work while the helmet handled the up close work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.