Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm looking for a baggy short that isn't so short (yet I don't want a knicker either). Any recommendations from you gals on a cargo style short that edges down towards the knee?

I'm clueless as to why some of these companies are making women's MTB shorts with 6 and 7" inseams. It's not like I'm pedling with a cosmo in one hand.

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions you may have :)

Susan

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wear Fox mens shorts. I have the 'base' model, has a better chamois than the 'Mid-Ranger', but I wear the mid-rangers more because it has a zippered pocket so my keys are more accessible than in my pack yet very secure. I bought them on sale from Supergo. Fox stuff is pretty pricy otherwise. Mostly good quality, had one short tear inside after wearing only a few times, replaced without question(and fast) and holding up very nicely, even after crashing a few times(the time I fell on rough rock I thought, 'oh oh, there go the shorts' but not a mark on them). They come down to just above my knee.

Rita

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oakley

Oakley baggies are my favorite. They come down right above my knee and so far I can tell are bomb proof. I like the internal short and pad as well. I also have a few pair of Kona shorts which are great but not as nice as the Oakley's. They also don't have an internal short, but I just wear lycras underneath.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I have a pair of Fox High Frequency shorts that are quite long. They're the men's style, but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they're comfortable. I also have some Fox Liberty shorts (women's) which are pretty comfy and not too short. Both pairs are also pretty bomb-proof and stretch nicely. The chamois in the High Frequency shorts is a bit better, but the inner mesh of the Liberty shorts fits more closely, which I like. Both pairs have two zippered cargo pockets... one for keys, one for Gu :)

- Jen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Zoic Tam and Fox Liberty both work great for me. Both hold up well for long rides and don't move around much when on technical terrain. My favorite shorts, though, are Nike ACG. They've a shorter inseam, but are not bootylicious and they're really comfortable, with a nice pocket in a good spot for your keys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was also looking around for a pair of baggies, and I liked the look of the Liberty, but I noticed they only had either the white or the baby blue color, and I was worried about them getting super dirty / stained. Have you had a problem with that? Where I usually ride it gets pretty mucky and I usually come off the trails a huge mess.

I also really like my riding shorts and chamois, and don't want to pay a whole lot for a pair of shorts with a chamois I'll probably never use. Has anyone found a pair of not necessarily mtb biking shorts that work really well?!

MallieD said:
Zoic Tam and Fox Liberty both work great for me. Both hold up well for long rides and don't move around much when on technical terrain. My favorite shorts, though, are Nike ACG. They've a shorter inseam, but are not bootylicious and they're really comfortable, with a nice pocket in a good spot for your keys.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
mddirtgrl said:
I was also looking around for a pair of baggies, and I liked the look of the Liberty, but I noticed they only had either the white or the baby blue color, and I was worried about them getting super dirty / stained. Have you had a problem with that? Where I usually ride it gets pretty mucky and I usually come off the trails a huge mess.

I also really like my riding shorts and chamois, and don't want to pay a whole lot for a pair of shorts with a chamois I'll probably never use. Has anyone found a pair of not necessarily mtb biking shorts that work really well?!
I have the darker blue Liberty shorts (I think they were the version from a couple of years ago), rather than the white/baby blue ones. I don't think I'd have bought them if they'd been that light either... it's kinda silly to make white MTB shorts I think. Then again, Fox makes some fairly prissy stuff sometimes... okay for a ride to the store, but not what I'd want out on the trails. Anyway, there is a kinda deep sky blue version of the Liberty shorts that you might be able to find if you're lucky... I got mine from eBay.

If you have a pair of regular lycra shorts you like already but want some baggies, try wearing either running shorts or men's swim shorts with the liners cut out over the top. I have some Hind running shorts that I sometimes wear over the top of my lycras if it's chilly. As long as the shorts you're wearing over the top aren't too baggy in the crotch area, they work pretty well :)

- Jen.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
board shorts

mddirtgrl said:

I've yet to find anypair of combo shorts that I like. I'm really picky and I HATE elastic! I have several pairs of pearlizumi microsensor shorts and wear them under something or alone sometimes. Their high end shorts($120+) have a really light elastic and a drawstring and I pretty much refuse to wear anything else.

Board shorts work great. They're light and breath well. A lot of women's board shorts are really short, so I have several pairs of mens, which I buy on size too large for my waist. This way they fit my hips, and I usualy sew a button at the back of the waist to tighten them. I also have one pair of women's board shorts (roxy) that are knee length. I really like these, but they were more expensive. The are pretty low rise, but the pearlizumi's I wear under come up higher in the back, so no plumbers crack. :D They are white with bright pink flowers, so I'm usually the talk of the trail ;)

They do get a little dirty, but hey, I'm mtn biking :p

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was checking on my bike (build being completed at LBS) and tried on a pair of 2004 Mid-Ranger's. Actually pretty comfortable and being light kakhi, they can even pass as a womens pair of shorts.

Going to give them a try most likely!!

Susan

AZtortoise said:
I wear Fox mens shorts. I have the 'base' model, has a better chamois than the 'Mid-Ranger', but I wear the mid-rangers more because it has a zippered pocket so my keys are more accessible than in my pack yet very secure. I bought them on sale from Supergo. Fox stuff is pretty pricy otherwise. Mostly good quality, had one short tear inside after wearing only a few times, replaced without question(and fast) and holding up very nicely, even after crashing a few times(the time I fell on rough rock I thought, 'oh oh, there go the shorts' but not a mark on them). They come down to just above my knee.

Rita

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.