Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motion base says 90mi.
~5800 ft of climbing. The climbs look pretty mild. If folks are needing a shorter version, we'll consider doing a 100k of it as well. That way, we can work out the sags, stops and carpools.

For the 100mi ride, we'd plan for 2-3 stops.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/...unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=1970072

This ride is 3 days after the HCW. This ride welcomes all tire sizes and diameters. I'm riding 700c myself, though am considering the Langster. :eek:

Attachments

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Im a maybe.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Since I have never gone a 100 miles on my bike before, I think I should do this, and the fact that the first 10 miles look so easy. :eek:

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Is this just a random route or is this part of the Sea Otter century?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
[QUOTE=smw]Is this just a random route or is this part of the Sea Otter century?[/QUOTE]

The Motion Based link is the official 2006 Sea Otter link and it looks the same in the 2007 Sea Otter Classic event guide book.

edit add: The Official Sea Otter Century is on Sunday April 15 with a entry fee of $52 This ride is FREE

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ahhhhhh, that's my backyard "Hillbilly 100" loop. Everyone knows Hillbilly's can't count, so it is as the topo say's about 90 miles. :D

- Expect a head-wind going down the valley of Salinas, and a head-wind coming up Carmel Valley. And the grade at mile 80 will be lovely. Especially fixed Rensho. ;)

Keep in mind the store at Miller's Lodge down in Seco is closed, though there is a spigget with decent watter there......

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Looks like the old Steinbeck Century route. I used to live in Pacific Grove and do that ride from time to time, it's a sweet ride. (except for a bit through Salinas that's car-heavy)

Morgan

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've got three riders going on this ride. Sean you in? That'd be four.

Anyone else up for this? Let me know so we can arrange for a meeting place.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'll most likely be turnin' wrenches Sat.
Also, I'd suggest meeting at the 7-11 off of Portola Dr., big safe parking lot, and supplies right there.

I'd stop for water at the Soledad Mission, the spigget at Millers, and at one of the Mid-Valley Mkts. in Carmel. This ride is waaaayyyyy doable un-supported. Have a good time folks! :thumbsup:

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meeting place, 8:45am

7-ELEVEN #33011
425 CANYON DEL REY BLVD
DEL REY OAKS , CA 93940-5705
(831) 394-1995

at the corner of 218 and 68. There should also be a Starbucks there.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh man, you guys missed a killer ride in perfect weather. Wow. It was so good, I would definitely do it again, before it gets too hot.

Let's see.

view
view
jeffh lights a quick one at the 2nd stop. (didn't know he smokes)
Daryl making balloon puppets or something, not sure what's going on there. ;)
These guys were hounding me all day long.

Attachments

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Daryl says he is ready for Otter baggin next week! :D

Best part: No flats, no injuries, no mechs, no close calls. Just perfect conditions and roads with very few cars. Well, there were those 40 Ferraris...

Attachments

·
Curse you Coe!
214 Posts
rensho said:
Daryl making balloon puppets or something, not sure what's going on there. ;)
We rested for so long all the blood went rushing back. Twas beyond my control.

rensho said:
and roads with very few cars. Well, there were those 40 Ferraris...
I took 5 pebbles to the face from tire spray when pairs of them Ferrari drivers passed into oncoming traffic and moved back a bit too close into the "lane". And for what? To move around my veeery slow 32mph downhill speed. I should have pulled over to the non-existent shoulder to let them pass, but I chose not to. Call me selfish for wanting the entire one lane country road to myself for a half mile. :D

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
So how was Laureles Grade at around mile 80??? :D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DMFT said:
So how was Laureles Grade at around mile 80??? :D
If I say it was easy, would you believe me?
Can't believe the sign says 10%. It feels more like 6.
It is now obvious to me, and i'm only speaking for myself, that all the SS'ing is flattening out any of the roadie climbs.

Jeffh did try to coerce me into riding into Lseca and ride up the 18% part of the entrance at mile 91. To which I said 'no'. He then went by himself and put another 6 miles on, just for kicks.

DMFT,
Hey, we couldn't find that 2nd water stop, Miller's. I guess we didn't look hard enough. Was it before the mobile home park?

·
Mtbr Founder
34,982 Posts
Oh man, unsupported century! Where was I?

Dang, that looks like a nice ride. Tomorrow, Old La Honda is going to pay.

fc

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
jeffh lights a quick one at the 2nd stop. (didn't know he smokes)

I always like to have a smoke after the first big climb, :cool: or it could be a little over ripe Banana after 40 miles just stuck to my fingers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts