Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to avoid a rash during endurance races? I did a little 76 mile pre-ride of the CCP last weekend. Sure would like to find a way to avoid the discomfort :madmax: that developed after 50 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
BagBalm goes on first with a nice, thin layer. Hike up the bibs & get everybody in just the right place. ChamoisButter is last. Careful, that green tin allows seepage of contents in the heat of summer. The white tube is yet to leak. Too much BB cakes the 'ol chamios & does not wash out well.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Body Glide - little .45oz. roll on size fits in a pocket. Lasts for at least 12hrs when applied properly. I used this stuff extensively in multi sport - every where, chafing was a problem. Shorts, pits, inner thighs, nipples. Lasts and lasts.... won't sweat off, non greasy. It's the shizzle. Bettah than buttah and bag balm. Bag balm works great for thrashed climbers hands though.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=body+glide&button.x=11&button.y=7

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
A nice (and cheap) alternative to Assos is Udderly Smooth, available at most Wal-Mart pharmacies. Feels the same, goes on feeling "cool," and is about $5 a tub rather than $20. They sponsor a cycling team too, so it's legit as a shammy cream.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I second the Body Gilde. I used to use Bag Balm but the petroleum based product can eat the stretchiness out of your shorts. If you do a search you will find that others have reported the same problem.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
jasonmorgan said:
BagBalm goes on first with a nice, thin layer. Hike up the bibs & get everybody in just the right place. ChamoisButter is last. Careful, that green tin allows seepage of contents in the heat of summer. The white tube is yet to leak. Too much BB cakes the 'ol chamios & does not wash out well.
This is my usual process. Repeat ever 6-12 hours.

Eddie O

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I use to use Bag Balm for years, the thing I didn't like about it is the chamois and the saddle seemed to wear out a quicker. It also always seemed to leave a residue no matter how often you washed stuff.

I use Chamois Butter now, it works about the same for me but it cost more $$.

remember a little dab will do you, it doesn't take much to create that protection layer.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
I have been using Bag Balm for years. I have heard that it tears up shorts, and indeed the lycra of my older shorts seem to get worn out around the seating area. However, by older I mean like 4-5 years old and 1000's of miles ridden on them. I think the trick is to use it in moderation. Don't bother putting it on for rides less then 2 hours (maybe not even 3 hour rides) and don't gloop it on too thick. A little dab will do you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.