Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi homers. I have a '03 5 spot that I love to keep dust free and polished, safely tucked away under a chenille blanket in my garage. Since purchasing the bicycle I have ridden it a few times, careful to stay mainly on paved and smooth dust-free earthen trails. I'll say as a side note I prefer the horst link version of the bike. The carbon fiber frame protectors I've installed perform flawlessly with minimal weight penalty, but I have recently discovered something rather disappointing. One of the brake cable housings is scuffing my head tube badge. Being an '03, it is a vintage (full color) badge so my intentions have always been to keep it in mint condition. I think maybe Turner spec'd an inferior head tube badge paint, because it shouldn't scuff the way it has. Wouldn't you expect scratch free performance from your head tube badge too? I mean, it is a nearly $2,000 frame.

Has anyone else suffered this problem, and do you think Turner would warranty this serious issue? As another side note, I want to stay loyal to the Turner brand. Perhaps this head tube badge issue is a signal for me to purchase the new Sultan. Surely any badge issues on new models have been ironed out by now. This is by no means SPAM, but my 5 spot may be up for sale. Be assured a twice-weekly sticker peel check has been performed since I took posession of the bicycle. I can post pics for anyone interested.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
jubilee said:
Hi homers.
Get a new stainless badge, they're off the hizzy. Better yet get a new frame to go with it; I hear the new RFX can be built under 30 lbs. :rolleyes:

Or you could just go **** yourself since you seem to be into self pleasuring.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Yup. I think you've exposed the head badge and scuffed paint anxiety that all true homers have. Lemme know how that warranty thing works out for you. I may have to give DT a call because I noticed some issues with the corners of my Flux head tube badge myself.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FM said:
entertaining.... I have no idea what you are talking about though!

PS, I wheelie-dropped off the log ride last night- yikees!:eekster:
Better than ass-over-end! Sounds like it was a good ride. I am stoked to ride (roll) that new feature.:thumbsup:

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
miles e said:
Get a new stainless badge, they're off the hizzy. Better yet get a new frame to go with it; I hear the new RFX can be built under 30 lbs. :rolleyes:
On second thought I may just wait for the new 29" highline.

Or you could just go **** yourself since you seem to be into self pleasuring.
Oh, you silly homer. If I could do that I'd never leave the house.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
it's threads like this one that make me forget that there are really only 3 girls that regularly post on this forum! :eek: seems like a lot more...;)

and yes, my head tube badge corners are raising ever so slightly also...i'm sure the whole thing will fall off eventually...do you think if i mail it back to turner, DT will send me an RFX??? i think that's fair! :D

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xjbebop said:
...just peel it off, clean off any leftover goo, and go commando...:thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice. I went a step further and applied another carbon fiber frame protector where the badge used to be. I am sure that weighs less than the badge anyway, so it's a win-win situation.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oly said:
Shouldnt you be out ridint the trails today to find your lost badge?
Oly!! Wassup mang? You caught me poking at the homers. :D

Been riding?

I'm posting from work right now....bummer. I've been riding about twice a week along with some trail building. Been logging some decent hours on the highline and the spot....hit galby for the first time last week. Sweet!!

Lemme know wassup! Hope you and the fam are doing well...:thumbsup:

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
you should stop riding that bike immediately! sounds like that scuffing could lead to bigger problems, like more scuffing! That's big trouble, sailor! You may want to have a different ape without the head injury, and that nasty lisp, at the bike shop trim your cable housings.....fyi...

Don't mess with big trouble!

That said, I've got an 03 head tube badge off my old spot that cracked apart, if you want a cursed head badge - the new badge on the replacement frame is scuff resistant! 10 bux plus shipping and it's yours....SPAM!

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Get the Sultan and you no longer have to worry about the old, junk badge. With the Sultan you will never ride the spot again anyway. i.e., no further badge damage.

:thumbsup:

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
29Colossus said:
Get the Sultan and you no longer have to worry about the old, junk badge. With the Sultan you will never ride the spot again anyway. i.e., no further badge damage.

:thumbsup:
29 inch wheels are the work of beelzebub his own self.

Praise jeebus and 26 inch wheels.

So sayeth the church of rotating mass. Gears and beers, amen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.