Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else having a bad winter season? This season I have only ridden a handful of times, and gained about 10lbs. I usually ride every sunday with a couple of friends, but stupid life keeps getting in the way of my riding. I dread how slow I am going to be whenever I get back out there.

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
I suppose I am too!

Not that I'm gaining weight, but after 4 rides (being away for like a year) I feel like I've already hit a wall & not getting any better. I am not getting faster uphill, but slower! And it's not like I'm riding too much; I think I'm working too much & sitting too much while working, and my legs just aren't getting better at all.

I was hoping that riding once a week would not be too much. It's probably not enough, and then sitting in a van for 4+ hours a day in traffic during the week probably isn't helping me at all :(

But, I keep going out there & trying. Doesn't matter how slow you are, as long as you get to have some fun while riding! It's the cure for my asthma ;) so I have to keep going, no matter what.

Clay

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
If I don't ride, I am not me.

I commute to work by bike, and I shoe-horn in a night ride once a week around family & work. I ride at least once a weekend.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

If you want to ride, make room. My home, work, family are all in synch with riding, because that is who I am. We bought our house in large part because of its suitable location for rides. I won't take a job where I can't bike commute. My family knows that Daddy rides.

Morgan

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
coffeegeek2112 said:
Any one else having a bad winter season? This season I have only ridden a handful of times, and gained about 10lbs. I usually ride every sunday with a couple of friends, but stupid life keeps getting in the way of my riding. I dread how slow I am going to be whenever I get back out there.
I feel for you. Been dealing with some health issues myself, and then there's the whole family balance thing - spouse, spouse's career, children, family time, home maintenance, etc. I don't want to go into personal details, but let's just say I've found weekend rides to be challenging. "morganfletcher" sounds like he's got it pretty dialed in.

One thing I've found helpful is finding alternate activities that get me outdoors.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
coffeegeek2112 said:
No matter what happens. No matter how bad of shape you get in. You can always dig yourself back out.

Those first couple rides may hurt - but you'll be back in the swing of things in no time.

Spring is just around the corner!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Not bad, just different. My wife works weekends and we have a baby now so I'm home weekends with her. My parents love taking care of her though, and when the weather gets a bit more predictable they are ready to take her a couple weekends a month. In the mean time, I'm trying to ride to work, or burley it on the weekends, but since starting day care she keeps getting sick (ear infection, some other virus thing, etc). I have been watching a lot of Modern Marvels and gaming while she naps :eek:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
my riding winter has been better than most...although i don't ride all that much even in the best of years. did some nice rides at ord and adel during the warm weather, and my normal couple of rides in the headlands. i've also been on my road bike a bit as usual for me this time of year. there is always time pressure around my house, between work and work related travel, family stuff and the varied things we like to do in addition to riding--photography, golf, skiing, hiking....

so i've come to the conclusion that work really gets in the way of having fun...but there's not much i can do about it. i just have to stay as balanced in what i do as i can...

·
singletrack bound
3,107 Posts
I got four in this last week... tue/thur/fri/sat. Getting them in between rainstorms. road/dirt. and working full time. Unfortunately, my work won't allow me to bike commute or I would!
I'm feeling fortunate really. :D

·
Laker and a Trail Blazer
835 Posts
I bought a new bike in october so I have been riding way too much all winter long. Snow and rain rides at oat hill, Annadale and Angwin all of january, Boggs in the deep pine needles, and I even rode ft ord 3 times. I've neglected family and miner responsibilities all winter. But I'm keeping diebetes away. I still need to find balance tho. I've only been riding a couple years and its become a big part of what I want to do forever so the bad winter topic is something I hope to never experience. I hope next winter is better for all....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm probably having one of the best winters for riding that I can remember. Mainly as work has been a little slow so finding the time is easier. But riding time for me is always unpredictable from week to week, and so I make the most of it when I can; and have learnt to deal with it when not able to ride, knowing that things will change sooner or later. Hope you are able to get more riding time in soon.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Bad winter for riding because work has suddenly picked up. I missed great riding in January because I had to work 70-90 hours a week to keep up with my customers. I'm still trying to catch up now. I think I have ridden six times this year and those were mostly short rides. Hopefully I will be able to ride more this month.

·
Recreational Terrorist
425 Posts
Hang in there.

When life stuff for me is extremely demanding I sneak rides early in the morning and at night. Morning rides are a zen like experience and night rides add a different dynamic to your usual trails. The other benefit is that you can ride trails that are normally off limits. :thumbsup:

My advice is to analyze your schedule and see if there is anything you can cut out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.