Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,568 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Gotta practice Whistler is coming up fast.
Too true, I fly out next weekend :eek:

Decided to hit Diablo again tomorrow and might try to sneak in one final day on Friday.

edit: Only 30secs slower going up Neds than your Spot? The HL clearly does climb like a mountain goat with a fire ant enema.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
So tell me if I'm right here, boys - still learning meself (tables). But it seems that this logic may work:

1. Speed [make sure you have the right amount of speed to clear the table adequately but not excessively]
2. Pop [hit the lip and jump with the bike, clearing the table]
3. Look [already be eyeing your next move; is there a turn coming up or another table]

Been practicing at Northstar here in northern California. Unfortunately it's no Whistler so the tables are often stacked closely together, in tight trails, super dusty, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry folks, but i didn't read the entire tread. my jumping opinions. Tables or anything with a curved lip. enter the jump with ur body in the middle of the bike, legs bent, and ass hoovering over the seat or slightly back from the seat. keep ur legs firm from the first feeling of upward movement of the bike to the middle of the take off. the last half u should start to lift ur body up with ur legs(like bunny hopping or if u where running off a dock into a lake) u should know more or less when to stop lifting when u feel u have the arch momentum to carry(float) over the jump. when u land, assuming on the down slope, ur body should be more extended then if was when entering the jump. when u land, u will use ur legs and bike suspension at the same time to absorb the impact. the last half of the curved tranny u firm up the legs and pump ur way out. this will give u speed for the next one.

for practice: a hard tail Dirt jumper on a small table would be great to learn.

if u don't have a DJ'er. lesson start 7/12 or 7/13. at diablo.

i'll be training myself on my new Transition blindside. it's heavier with more suspension then the nomad, but i have no dout i'll make all the trannies on both dominions.

the other way to learn is: don't think just do. or watch and learn. i've done that the most.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Tnx for the tips $.0 I played on some gaps and skinnies with Fatty, Keylow and Lou yesterday.

Hokay ppl, I'll go spend some time practicing some of these tips on the tables at Diablo this Sunday.
Hope to see some of you folks up there. :thumbsup: :D

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Tnx for the tips $.0 I played on some gaps and skinnies with Fatty, Keylow and Lou yesterday.

Hokay ppl, I'll go spend some time practicing some of these tips on the tables at Diablo this Sunday.
Hope to see some of you folks up there. :thumbsup: :D
See yer there be yot ch NOT:p

Enjoy Zilla and keep yer wheels right side up, go big or go homie:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
6thElement said:
Perfect riding conditions out there at Diablo today, nice tacky dirt and temps in the 70's :cool:
we went for the 1st time yesterday.... What a great place! I was on my 5 Spot...we did all the trails...wimped out on a few features...but had a great time. Favourite piece of trail was the wooden berm to the ladder ledge / small drop to the coffin step up thingy...as you can tell I am a big freerider and know all the terminology!

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Learnin'

Check it:

We hit up Seven Springs in Champion, PA today for the first time...and it was awesome. They've got some real experts building the trails up there (Eric Carter, Randy Spangler, Judd De Vall) and they've built some really cool trails. There aren't many, only 4 or 5 different ones so far, but they're all fun as heck.

The main trail, 007, is like an expanded Dominion...lots of tabletops, whoops, step-ups, berms, etc. This trail has got a couple of dozen jumps and at least as many berms. Most of the jumps are a bit smaller than Dominions (which is great for us novices) but some are as big or bigger. Everything is rollable, but if you want to launch the lips on all the jumps are just about perfect.

There is a really cool beginner trail that's got some whoops, bermed 180 switchbacks and some really nice benchwork cut into the mountain that allows you to keep up your speed and flow without having to resort to pedaling :D and without dumping you straight down the fall line. And it's fun even for the more advanced riders.

There a couple of more advanced runs (I only did parts of these) that are a little steeper with tighter switchbacks, some rock gardens, steeper chutes, a few drops and more doubles, step-ups, step-downs and hip jumps.

There was an additional section or two that I believe were closed because due to the ground being pretty wet and muddy in spots (and the trails not quite broken in yet), and I think the woodwork on some of the ladder features was really slick.

Here are some videos we took today. They were taken on a camera so they quality wasn't awesome to begin with, and then Photobucket compressed them all to hell. But here they are anyway...

Me over some little tables on 007. I only get about six inches of air, but I swear I actually cleared both of these. I know you can't tell, but these jumps have started to help me figure out how to pump and pop off the lip (still weaksauce, I know) and how to balance in the air a little better:
https://i177.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/be350ka/Patrick7S.flv

Be350ka on a nice berm and small hip jump on 007:
https://i177.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/be350ka/Nate7S.flv

Be350ka on some of the bigger tables at the end of 007. Actually, all the trails dump into this jump line that leads back to the lift. These tables are ~5ft high and 20 to 25 feet long and their built into a bench cut into the slide of the slope (I'm shooting from the high side). The lips are just about perfect, as long as you carry enough speed (I never did). Watch Nate show how it's done:
https://i177.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/be350ka/natedoubles7S.flv

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,568 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Advice:
If you've never hit it before, bring a change of underwear.

It's actually much smoother than I expected.
I was so stoked, I wanted another go.
Finally got around to riding down BMW to look at Stigmata today and basically onsighted it and wondered what all the fuss was about. I can appreciate it would be trickier in the wet but in the dry it wasn't even remotely worrying.

·
Registered
332 Posts
PCinSC

I just purchased a Big Hit to, a few weeks ago. I bought it used, it is an 06 model. I would have loved to have bought a Turner Highline but it didn't make sense since the only lift service is 6 hours away at Snow Shoe. We have a little DH course here in Lou, KY that I have been riding and I'm having some of the same issues with jumping. I did just figure out last week how to take drops at slow speed and match the transition. I'm pretty excited about that.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
I'm starting to get more comfortable on mine. I really like how stable and squishy it is, it's very forgiving when I botch a landing. My jumping is improving, I have been able to practice on some smaller jumps at 7 Springs and that has made a difference. I've modified Kidwoo's advice by taking smaller jumps at too slow a speed so that I'm forced to really pop off the lip and reach to make the transitions. Now when I take them at "normal" speed they are easy as pie. Now I just have to apply that to some of the bigger jumps. It's a work in progress.

Regarding the Highline, this Turner sale is killing me. I'd love to have one but it's my wife's turn for a new bike and we just can swing it financially for either me or her. Oh well.

Single Track MTBer said:
PCinSC

I just purchased a Big Hit to, a few weeks ago. I bought it used, it is an 06 model. I would have loved to have bought a Turner Highline but it didn't make sense since the only lift service is 6 hours away at Snow Shoe. We have a little DH course here in Lou, KY that I have been riding and I'm having some of the same issues with jumping. I did just figure out last week how to take drops at slow speed and match the transition. I'm pretty excited about that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kidwoo's advice is spot on. I'm not committing because I'm afraid I will know what to do in the air. That's sounds like a good idea, taking them slow and trying to milk all of the air you can get out of it using technique instead of speed.

The big hit defiantly gives you room for error, I have a hard time because of the weight of it. I'm use to my Spot. The funny thing is once I get back on the spot from riding the big hit, the spot feels so much easier to maneuver.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.