Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my first FS bike, a kona kikapu:thumbsup: . I have had it about 2 months,but for the last 2-3 weeks my shifting has not been that smooth, sometimes not shifting the gear at all.:madmax: I did bring it in to the LBS and they adjusted the RD. It seems to shift good while riding in the parking lot just not the trail.:madman: I try to keep a good chain line and keep my chain lubed and clean. Is it not possible to shift a FS rig while riding a mildly rough line?:nono: the local trail is quite rooty. I am seem to shift the same places on the trail I used to with my HT. The drive-train is quite basic deore RD, alivio shifters and FD. Should I upgrade my shifters or my RD or do I need to upgrade both? I really wanted just to use them till they broke then upgrade to xt or x9.

Thanks a lot for any help!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
You do not have the best components on your bike, but they ought to work better than you indicate in your post. It's possible that the derailleur needs to be adjusted again, but it's also possible that something else is wrong. Check (or have your shop check) the derailleur hanger alignment. Also check to make sure that the cable is sliding smoothly in its housing.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original cable housing was bad so they replaced it when it was serviced. I thought that would fix my problem, but it didn't. I know the components are entry level sh!t yet they should work better. I have x7 stuff on my HT. There is a definate difference from alivio/deore to full x7. I plan on uping to xt to x9 in the future, but I need to save up for the upgrade. I think this set up should work OK and last atleast a year.... maybe not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.