Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep it short.

2 weeks ago went shopping a week before a big MTB trip.

Wanted to get a 5010 X01.

None in stock at a huge lbs with multiple locations.

Found a few online that could be shipped at competitive cyclist or wherever. (No tax bonus even)

Ordered last one from SC west warehouse at LBS to support local yadada

Came with scratch on Friday, we were leaving on the next day Saturday.

It's a small nick more accurately.

Yellow Bicycle tire Nail Bicycle frame Engineering

Dealer "made it right" by offering $100 off, that's like 1.4%. Would not offer anything else!

We were so pissed and unfortunately I"ll be buying online from now on. I'm a big bike mechanic and own 10+ bikes. I'll build all my friends bikes they order online for free over recommending this "highly rated" LBS. These guys wouldn't even make time to put on my invisiframe the day my bike came in (They probably have 10+ mechanics on staff at any given time). It's easy to DIY so I spent 2 hours doing it.

We walked out of the store with the bike and a sour feeling but we weren't going to let a scratch ruin our 9 day MTB trip.

Is it worth trying to get in touch with Santa Cruz for additional compensation or just to complain?

Am I just expecting too much.

·
No Clue Crew
7,648 Posts
If you're a "big bike mechanic" and own "10+ bikes," why did you need a last-minute 5010 for a trip?

While your situation isn't great (and your photo doesn't show, so I can't see how bad said scratch is), the LBS got you your bike in time for your trip. But it was scratched. As an adult, you had the option of walking away from the deal and riding one of your other 10+ bikes, correct?

You chose to take the deal offered and now you're complaining about it. Is the beef that the bike was scratched? Or that the shop would only offer $100 in credit for the scratch? How many more scratches did you put on it during your trip?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Santa Cruz isn’t going to compensate you for a scratched frame. Also if the dealer offered to order you a new one or discount that one or offered you a refund they likely won’t have much to say to the dealer.

Also not sure why you expected the dealer to put your invisiframe in for free, when as you said you spent 2hrs doing it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ordered my 5010 frame from a LBS

When I opened the box later that night, I saw some weird marking on the top tube, it wasn’t a scratch, but looked like something weird with the paint

I took it back to the LBS, they contacted SC, shipped it back, I had another frame in a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
if you are not happy you should simply tell them you don’t accept the frame, but seems like getting the frame that day was more important, not sure there is much more you are gonna get now

did they offer you to order a replacement frame?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Not sure why this is a dealer issue, they didn't scratch the bike.

Because of the scratch and you wanting cash discount (because there was no time for you to wait for a scratch-free frame to arrive).

I dislike when people have one bad experience and boycott a shop when we're losing shop quality folks because of this exact reason of not purchasing locally.

Some could say that it's not the fault of Santa Cruz, but fault can lie on you for waiting until 14 days prior to your trip to look for a bike.

Remember too, there is no guarantee an internet order would have arrived in flawless condition.

Anyway, I think your decision to just complain about it is best. That way we all get to go through it with you.

Also, the only discount on the Santa Cruz bike I purchased was saving the transaction fee because I paid in cash. No savings from Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sounds like you're being unreasonable. $100 off sounds fair to me, but I can't see the picture.

Also, If it came from the warehouse with the scratch, the dealer was not required to do anything for you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure why this is a dealer issue, they didn't scratch the bike.
if I didn't buy it, they were stuck with it either way. who knows if they would have sold a $7000 santa cruz with a scratch before they had to mark it down 10% next year. It's a santa cruz issue you're right. But at the end of the day the dealer is the public face of them. Even the rep got involved and stuff. The $100 came from Santa Cruz not the dealer.

I dislike when people have one bad experience and boycott a shop when we're losing shop quality folks because of this exact reason of not purchasing locally.
It's been more than 1 bad experience but I said I'd keep it short.
Remember too, there is no guarantee an internet order would have arrived in flawless condition.
It would have been $552 cheaper so it would have hurt a bit less.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're a "big bike mechanic" and own "10+ bikes," why did you need a last-minute 5010 for a trip?
Bike wasn't for me. It was for my wife.

The beef is that $100 on a $7200+ out the door bike is kind of a joke. If a customer who has bought many bikes and spent tens of thousands with you is buying a scratch and dent bike, a discount of more than 1.4% sounds like the right thing to do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you are not happy you should simply tell them you don't accept the frame, but seems like getting the frame that day was more important, not sure there is much more you are gonna get now

did they offer you to order a replacement frame?
They offered to order a new bike when one was in stock. A lead time of 3+ weeks according to the santa cruz order website. (as you can see new colors just got released so that's probably why).

I could have walked away no problem but the scratch is not a big of deal at all and I'm sure one will land on somewhere not protected by invisiframe some day, but I don't really see a reason to shop with them ever again. The bike worked amazing and my wife had a ton of fun on it. She was way more confident on the new bike so yeah it was totally worth it. But the whole experience rubbed me the wrong way.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
if I didn't buy it, they were stuck with it either way. who knows if they would have sold a $7000 santa cruz with a scratch before they had to mark it down 10% next year. It's a santa cruz issue you're right. But at the end of the day the dealer is the public face of them. Even the rep got involved and stuff. The $100 came from Santa Cruz not the dealer.
So Santa Cruz gave you the $100 off, but you're pissed off at the shop?

·
Registered
730 Posts
They offered to order a new bike when one was in stock. A lead time of 3+ weeks according to the santa cruz order website. (as you can see new colors just got released so that's probably why).
So the bike came blemished from the factory but you're blaming the dealer? Your assumption that they would have to discount it down 10% next year is a faulty one, the dealer isn't going to get stuck with this bike and for all you know SC will just hold the non blemished portion of the frame for warranty replacements. They offered you a discount as an olive branch, and you had the option to either wait for a new bike or cancel the order.

I'd be bummed to about finding a flaw in a new bike, but you're not going to get clearance pricing just be because of it.

I could have walked away no problem but the scratch is not a big of deal at all and I'm sure one will land on somewhere not protected by invisiframe some day, but I don't really see a reason to shop with them ever again.
Seems like a plus for the shop, tbh.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the bike came blemished from the factory but you're blaming the dealer? Your assumption that they would have to discount it down 10% next year is a faulty one, the dealer isn't going to get stuck with this bike and for all you know SC will just hold the non blemished portion of the frame for warranty replacements. They offered you a discount as an olive branch, and you had the option to either wait for a new bike or cancel the order.

I'd be bummed to about finding a flaw in a new bike, but you're not going to get clearance pricing just be because of it.

Seems like a plus for the shop, tbh.
dealer told me they were stuck with the bike. SC would not take it back.

Dealer told me they were stuck on pricing because they can't discount current models. Maybe they couldn't discount the bike per their agreement with SC but that is pretty bs statement as they had othe roptions like they could have given me a voucher on a future purchase or whatever else they wanted to do.

How's being able to walk away from a bike a plus? I never would have ordered it being any other case.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Tiny scratch = $100 discount? That‘s pretty cool. I don‘t get why you‘re complaining about it. This bike will have many more scratches and quite frankly, did you buy this bike to look at closely or to ride?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.