Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I think I have now have at least 1 bike too many, I am thinking about many permutations of how to build up a new sweet singlespeed. I think I have a few options.

One option that I thought about was using one of my newly built up bikes (see below spec) to contribute to the new build and where parts not applicable or optimal, sell the parts.....or sell the bike? Would a reasonable number of parts below even be a good idea for the SS with the rest being sold? I just dont know how much I will use this bike now that I have a singlespeed and I have a trailbike.

Another option is to sell my Surly frame and just get a new frame and upgrade parts over time.

frame = Rocky Mountain Element Scandium Team
cranks= Race Face Deus
BB = integrated with Deus
fork = 2005 Marzocchi Marathon Race
wheelset = King ISO / DT Swiss XR4.1d / Supercomp spokes / alloy nipples
brakes = Magura Marta SLs
shifters = SRAM X.0
fr der = XTR
rear der = SRAM X.0
cassette = XT
chain = PC-99 Hollow pin
pedals = Shimano 959
seat = Rocket V Stealth
seatpost = Yeti Arc Aluminum
stem = Syntace F99 (120mm)
bars = Answer ProTaper Carbon
grips = ODI Rogue Lock-on
headset = Chris King
tubes = ultra lites
tires = Kenda Karma DTC
seat clmp = Hope
cables = XTR
skewers = Hope

Cheers

· hispanic mechanic
2,705 Posts
Sell off...

gatman said:
I would say that these items could be scratched off the usable list!! :D

shifters = SRAM X.0
fr der = XTR
rear der = SRAM X.0
cassette = XT
Those parts, and sell both the Surly and RM frames, plus the rear wheel. Get yerself a really nice custom steel 1 speed frame, and go to town!
FWIW, I still recommend 29"!

the los

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gatman said:
I would say that these items could be scratched off the usable list!! :D

shifters = SRAM X.0
fr der = XTR
rear der = SRAM X.0
cassette = XT
gatman.....you are pure genius! I knew I came to the right place to obtain wisdom :p

seriously though, the thing that I may be most interested in is the wheelset. Obviously, I could keep the front King wheel but given the rear hub is of course not a King SS hub, what would you guys do? The wheelset, and the whole bike for that matter, are barely used at all. I assume it would not be optimal to convert the rear wheel to a SS setup but maybe it would be ok??? With King's prices now, I could no way justify relacing it to a King SS rear disc hub.

Cheers

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sslos said:
Those parts, and sell both the Surly and RM frames, plus the rear wheel. Get yerself a really nice custom steel 1 speed frame, and go to town!
FWIW, I still recommend 29"!

the los
thanks Sr "the los"

sorry to be a dumb blond but are you suggesting that you would sell only the drivetrain stuff from the RM, the RM frame, rear wheel, and the Surly frame, and use the other parts from the RM for the new SS frame?

· hispanic mechanic
2,705 Posts
O.k...

FoShizzle said:
thanks Sr "the los"

sorry to be a dumb blond but are you suggesting that you would sell only the drivetrain stuff from the RM, the RM frame, rear wheel, and the Surly frame, and use the other parts from the RM for the new SS frame?
Actually, if you're sticking with 26" wheels, you could sell off the drivetrain stuff, rear hub, chainrings, and most likely the post to go along with the RM frame (it'll almost for sure be different than what you'll need.)
By parting it out, you'll get closer to what you paid for stuff than if you try and sell the whole kit-n-caboodle.
Then, you can use the proceeds to fund a custom steel 1 speed. Slap most of your stuff on there, get a SS specific (non-ramped) chainring for the Deus cranks, and get yourself a CK SS hub. Oh, and a seatpost that fits your new frame.
You'll find that you can go with some really good builders for not a lot of money. Curtlo, WaltWorks, Wily, and several others can custom build for you for around a grand, maybe less!
Hope this helps, and have fun with it.

the los

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sslos said:
Actually, if you're sticking with 26" wheels, you could sell off the drivetrain stuff, rear hub, chainrings, and most likely the post to go along with the RM frame (it'll almost for sure be different than what you'll need.)
By parting it out, you'll get closer to what you paid for stuff than if you try and sell the whole kit-n-caboodle.
Then, you can use the proceeds to fund a custom steel 1 speed. Slap most of your stuff on there, get a SS specific (non-ramped) chainring for the Deus cranks, and get yourself a CK SS hub. Oh, and a seatpost that fits your new frame.
You'll find that you can go with some really good builders for not a lot of money. Curtlo, WaltWorks, Wily, and several others can custom build for you for around a grand, maybe less!
Hope this helps, and have fun with it.

the los
Thanks.....

I guess selling just the rear hub and relacing it with the King SS hub may be the right thing to do if I decide to cannabilize the RM. Especially if sell the Surly bike, this project will give me a net gain in coin....though i will be out a gearie but I have a sweet Ventana X-5 for when I hit the gnarlies.

Perhaps I am just naive, but the Dean EBB Ti Colonel SS reviewed in Dirt Rag sounds quite nice........I definitely love the steel ride but for completeness, would at least like to research the Ti frame.

Cheers

· Registered
448 Posts
keep the rear wheel

If it were me, I would keep the rear wheel the way it is and just use spacers. You said it yourself when you mentioned King's new prices. It's not worth it to swap it out for an SS specific hub. So what if it's got some dish in it? As long as the wheel was built right, you're not going to notice the difference. Just make sure you use a wide base cog.

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12snap said:
If it were me, I would keep the rear wheel the way it is and just use spacers. You said it yourself when you mentioned King's new prices. It's not worth it to swap it out for an SS specific hub. So what if it's got some dish in it? As long as the wheel was built right, you're not going to notice the difference. Just make sure you use a wide base cog.
that is what my friend just told me.....but what exactly do you mean by "wide base" cog?

I am very confident in my wheelbuilder so converting it is going to be more cost effective for sure. I plan to get an EBB frame just not sure which one....

cheers

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FoShizzle said:
what exactly do you mean by "wide base" cog?
never mind my dumb question above....

The folks at King have graciously responded to my emails I just sent....as usual, great CS!

They recommended the KingKog which has a wide base and to use 7, 4.3mm drive shell
spacers to space out the drive shell.

Cheers

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AOK said:
http://www.endlessbikes.com/products/components.html

I have one of these and it has a very wide base. They were $30 when I bought mine, so I think they are also cheaper than the King cogs.

Nice pics of them in a recent thread.
Thanks....I am so torn on whether I want to keep the Element and slowly build up the SS I want.....but regardless, thanks for the input.

Right now I am thinking keep the Element as is but tomorrow, my patience may be way short and I may be back to stealing parts since that is the quickest way for me to get the SS I really want.

Cheers

· Category Winner
6,117 Posts
For what it's worth...

I dropped my full sus and my Spicer so I could come up with the coin for my Dean Colonel. It rides so nice I don't miss either bike. I can still fit a pretty fat tire in the rear and I run a ti post so it is plenty cush. It is the first time I have been down to one mtn bike since 1998, and I don't mind in the least. With all the money I made parting it all out I was able to build it just about the way I wanted it.
I throw on a rigid fork or a freeride-ish wheelset for variety. I hate to say I felt validated when I read Dirt Rags review, but I share their feelings. It is the sweetest riding HT frame I have ever ridden, and probably the happiest I have ever been with a bike purchase(something like 10 different frames since 1997).

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
teamdicky said:
I dropped my full sus and my Spicer so I could come up with the coin for my Dean Colonel. It rides so nice I don't miss either bike. I can still fit a pretty fat tire in the rear and I run a ti post so it is plenty cush. It is the first time I have been down to one mtn bike since 1998, and I don't mind in the least. With all the money I made parting it all out I was able to build it just about the way I wanted it.
I throw on a rigid fork or a freeride-ish wheelset for variety. I hate to say I felt validated when I read Dirt Rags review, but I share their feelings. It is the sweetest riding HT frame I have ever ridden, and probably the happiest I have ever been with a bike purchase(something like 10 different frames since 1997).
boy, that is good to hear. I think today, i am back to possibly selling of the Element parts and swap relevant ones over to the new SS. I really like the sound of the Dean.

Actually, I probably have little reason to keep the RM because I have even another full suspension bike that I would never sell (Ventana X-5).....thanks for the input on the Dean.

The thing that concerns me though with the Dean is that the wait may be long. How long did you wait? There is a very nice Kissoff frame made by Sycip that I am now considering. I guess it is probably down to Sycip and the Dean...

Cheers

· Category Winner
6,117 Posts
Wait time

I know some people have had a rough go with Dean as far as wait times. They quoted me 6 weeks and it shipped right on time. The frame wasn't full custom but I did get what I asked for. One bottle mount(DT), three TT hose guides on the lower left, two hose guides on top of the seat stay, forward facing clamp, I think that was all my special requests.
I held onto the Spicer till I got my Dean so it was not really a problem waiting for it. Since you have other bikes you won't really suffer while you are waiting. I know there are alot of other ti builders out there, but I believe they have the best quality/cost ratio.
Like I said, I have never been happier. I still play with component selection from time to time. I am waiting for my Phil Wood EBB and XT Octalink crank to show up tomorrow. Race Face Deus didn't do it for me, so while I'm down there I thought I would snazz up the EBB.

· I speak for the trees
42 Posts
Don't forget about

Ionics, Dean's steel-built name. It has similar or the same geometry as the Colonel but it's steel. They use the Platinum OX tubing and it's the finest riding frame I've ever been on. Steel has a much livelier feel than titanium, especially with the Ionics frame. They usually have some frames already built up, but I haven't checked their site lately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.