Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a report from Slim's on the Yentna river. Cindy said only water skipping Irondoggers are running the river right now. She said it was not safe from Flathorn or Deshka Landing and none of the locals were traveling the rivers. #$%%^&^&&!!!
Kathi M and I are headed north on tuesday for a few days of riding on the Denali highway. Reports from Cantwell are hard pack with a couple inches of fresh snow. Here's hoping it turns winter again soon!!!
Bill M

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Just heard from my buddy who lives at MP18 on the Yentna.He said there was only about 4 inches of snow left and they weren't getting the new snow we are getting now. He tried to ride his snowmachine out yesterday pulling a cargo sled and made it to the confluence of Yentna and Susitna rivers. He said the ice is still good but was travelling through about 6 to 8 inches of overflow on top of the ice and it was packing up his snowmachine and sled with slush so had to turn around. He said it was 25 degrees there this morning and thought it would freeze up again. So maybe it's not so bad after all, just need a liitle colder wx.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cancelled Cantwell

Bill M said:
Just got a report from Slim's on the Yentna river. Cindy said only water skipping Irondoggers are running the river right now. She said it was not safe from Flathorn or Deshka Landing and none of the locals were traveling the rivers. #$%%^&^&&!!!
Kathi M and I are headed north on tuesday for a few days of riding on the Denali highway. Reports from Cantwell are hard pack with a couple inches of fresh snow. Here's hoping it turns winter again soon!!!
Bill M
All packed and ready to roll decided to call Cantwell before heading out. Was told it is snowing and blowing hard with 1/2 mile visibility. So much for the clear skies forecast for the next couple of days up there. Guess we will just stay here and snowshoe. It's going to get better I know because Pat told me so!!!
Bill M

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's coming Bill...

I just had a great ride on the Hillside trails on my fatties, and the nice conditions are heading your way, Bill. I just know they are.....

I think it's time for a group slumber party out on the race course. A time to check gear, see what everyone else is doing, and have some fun. Fun mode mandatory!

Anyone interested?

Pat

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Put me down for an overnighter. Also we have tentative plans for a campout at the Knik Glacier for New Years eve. If it gets cold again we will be hauling in a wall tent, wood stove, food, beverages, etc with one of those snowmachine things. There is a tent platform and wall tent frame already there. And the view out the door is amazing, see picture. I'll keep you guys posted.

Had a great ride yesterday on the swamps along the base of Arkose ridge, except I totally plunged through the ice. Surprise surprise! Found myself flailing around on top of a bunch of pond weeds and sinking rapidly. Luckily was able to get out with miraculously dry feet (NEOS to the rescue), got back on my pond scum encrusted bike and fell in again 20 feet further. Lots of fun! Also a scientific observation: FatBikes float! Be careful out there and don't do what I do!

Wildfire
patirwin said:
I just had a great ride on the Hillside trails on my fatties, and the nice conditions are heading your way, Bill. I just know they are.....

I think it's time for a group slumber party out on the race course. A time to check gear, see what everyone else is doing, and have some fun. Fun mode mandatory!

Anyone interested?

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
When?

Mark,

I'm ready to ride/camp, so just name the time. Sounds like it's about to warm up again, so this weekend is up in the air, but let us know when and we'll go from there. They're calling for mid-high 30s in Anchorage, so it may be perfect out on the trail.
I just finished my 2nd fattie conversion via a hacksaw, torch, and an old frame. Now Kathy can join us!

Hope others will join us. Anyone?? Anyone??

Leonard, when you comin' home to ride with us?

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
patirwin said:

Anyone interested?

Pat
Hey Pat count me and Kathi M in on the slumber party just let us know when. We will bring the hot chocolate and Kathi promises to build the fire!!!!!
Bill M

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Could sneak off any time...

You converted Kathy into a fattie? Well we should leave a good set of tracks. Would hate to have to reveal my secret weapon camping gear though. Anyway anytime.

Wildfire

patirwin said:
Mark,

I'm ready to ride/camp, so just name the time. Sounds like it's about to warm up again, so this weekend is up in the air, but let us know when and we'll go from there. They're calling for mid-high 30s in Anchorage, so it may be perfect out on the trail.
I just finished my 2nd fattie conversion via a hacksaw, torch, and an old frame. Now Kathy can join us!

Hope others will join us. Anyone?? Anyone??

Leonard, when you comin' home to ride with us?

Pat

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Hmmm

I'm in too. Just say when.

I'm suspicious that the whole idea is for Pat and everyone else to find out other people's secret gear. I'm going to bring really bad gear choices and try and convince other folks to copy me then I'll switch back to good gear for the race...so long suckers!!! Yep... so I'll be riding the camp out trip on my road bike wearing a speedo, water wings and flip flops!! best gear ever... If you want to go really fast train using those fat tires and heavy winter clothes then hit the start line on the road bike, for full effect don't even try the road bike on snow until the race. Honest.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Jury Duty

I'm on the list to call in next week, but I'm hoping my sob story, sniff sniff, will get me out of it. I'm all for participating in the democratic/judicial cause, but not now! I just know the riding will be perfect while I'm sitting in a jury box staring out the window....thinking about Adam's speedos.....Oh God! Will my knowing Adam be cause for dismissal? Maybe that's the angle I should take.....
Anyway, I need to do about 20 minutes of torching on Pinky to have her finished. She ain't real pretty, but she sure is a nice ride. FYI - The Instigator fork isn't wide enough for the Endos, as advertised, unless you run 10psi or less. That's fine sometimes, but not when the trail is bomber and you need more air. My torch should solve the problem. Geez, with a hacksaw and a torch I believe I can do anything. Anyone have a titanium frame I can convert for you?
Kathy is a fattie convert and is quoted as saying she likes 'em big and fat! Should be good fodder for the slumber party.....
Hope to see you guys out there soon, and let's start planning asap. It'll be a good gift to ourselves. Maybe even a group hug......
Just kidding,
Pat

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Jury duty is fun!!!!

Pat:
Its worse than you thought … THERE ARE NO WINDOWS in the courtrooms!! Aggggg. Jury duty is more fun than most people think. Most jurors usually say that they enjoyed it and were actually surprised by the experience. It is not (or at least should not be) boring at all. There is only one attorney I can think of, who will automatically boot you for knowing me, but you know her too. The whole process really is a lot of fun and rather exciting, …. like a big party … a party where someone might go to jail at the end… but hey aren't those the best kind of parties anyway!

Let me know if you need secure bike parking near the courthouse. I can hook you up.

In an attempt to get back on topic...I like the new years campout plan alot. Or just random weekends up the rivers. Looks like rain and warm temps this weekend though.

Adam

patirwin said:
I'm on the list to call in next week, but I'm hoping my sob story, sniff sniff, will get me out of it. I'm all for participating in the democratic/judicial cause, but not now! I just know the riding will be perfect while I'm sitting in a jury box staring out the window....thinking about Adam's speedos.....Oh God! Will my knowing Adam be cause for dismissal? Maybe that's the angle I should take.....
Anyway, I need to do about 20 minutes of torching on Pinky to have her finished. She ain't real pretty, but she sure is a nice ride. FYI - The Instigator fork isn't wide enough for the Endos, as advertised, unless you run 10psi or less. That's fine sometimes, but not when the trail is bomber and you need more air. My torch should solve the problem. Geez, with a hacksaw and a torch I believe I can do anything. Anyone have a titanium frame I can convert for you?
Kathy is a fattie convert and is quoted as saying she likes 'em big and fat! Should be good fodder for the slumber party.....
Hope to see you guys out there soon, and let's start planning asap. It'll be a good gift to ourselves. Maybe even a group hug......
Just kidding,
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jury duty can be painful

patirwin said:
I'm actually looking forward to it since it's my first time, but I don't want to miss all the fun on the trail. Will you guys promise me you won't go out 'til I can go, too?

As far as New Year's goes, I'm up for that and every other weekend this winter. Can we bring our 4 dogs?

P
Bring lots of grease to court. The last time and I mean my last time ever for me I was attacked personally and verbally beaten to death as one of three who hung the jury. After sticking to our guns and talking with the attorneys who could share things after the fact we were not allowed to hear in court we were very glad we took our lickings and stuck to our convictions. Lighter note--- should be fun out at the glacier if this #$%%$#$%^ weather breaks. Bill M

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Good point Bill, sometimes I forget that the Jury actuall has the hardest job in the courtroom. It is easy to pick a side and fight for it, but actually making the decision is the real work that everyone is there for.

It's raining here in Anchorage right now. Weather looks bad. Too bad all the cool rides require frozen rivers and whatnot.

Adam

Bill M said:
Bring lots of grease to court. The last time and I mean my last time ever for me I was attacked personally and verbally beaten to death as one of three who hung the jury. After sticking to our guns and talking with the attorneys who could share things after the fact we were not allowed to hear in court we were very glad we took our lickings and stuck to our convictions. Lighter note--- should be fun out at the glacier if this #$%%$#$%^ weather breaks. Bill M

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Mmmmmm, Adam

patirwin said:
I'm sitting in a jury box staring out the window....thinking about Adam's speedos.....Oh God! Will my knowing Adam be cause for dismissal?
Knowing Adam won't hurt/help you, Pat, but if you mention that you'll be sitting in the jury box picturing him in a Speedo, you'll be back on your bike and pedaling away from the courthouse by noon!

(If you don't use it, let me know. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I get called.)

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Anybody up for McCarthy?

Thinking of heading up to Chitna to ride the McCarthy Rd. It's still colder there and there are bridges across the creeks. There's usually enough snowmachine and vehicle traffic to keep a trail beat down, might even be plowed. Bill and Kathi M are down for it, anyone else? Leave Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. I have a seat or two available in my rig. I'm starting to feel like a detainee from the weather here.

Wildfire

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Training

patirwin said:
New Mexico is lookin' good right now....
Hey Pat,
I am ready but I think I will try to borrow a bike when I get there I don't think mine could stand another round trip with the bag bashers. When do we leave??? Kathi and I just got back from a great training trip. We walked to town and rented videos in the rain.
Bill M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.