Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too lost my Garmin 500 yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't pin down exactly where along our ride on Coyote, Rimrock and Bluesky that it decided to let loose.

Riding back up in the dark was a poor search, so I may have missed it rather than it was found.

So if anyone finds it, PLEASE send me a notification.

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
That's a bummer mtn hack, hope you're able to recover it. I'm planning to do Bluesky this afternoon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Just curious - was your 500 mounted to the stock Garmin mount (plastic bit attached to stem with two rubber straps)? I run a 500 too and worry about it popping off.

·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was. Normally I have it on the stem, but I had a new stem that I wasn't sure was going to stay on the bike. I didn't want to mar it in case I needed to get rid of it, so this one ride it was mounted to the bar.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Think its time for a real wheelset!...like I-9s

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's a bummer mtn hack, hope you're able to recover it. I'm planning to do Bluesky this afternoon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Just curious - was your 500 mounted to the stock Garmin mount (plastic bit attached to stem with two rubber straps)? I run a 500 too and worry about it popping off.
It's been awhile since I had a 500, but does it have the little loop where you can put the lanyard strap? After seeing my 510 pop off easily in a crash, I put the lanyard strap on and stretch it (it's elastic) over my bars, so if it does pop off it'd still be attached to the bike in a manner. Idea to think about... definitely a way expensive tiny little device that is so easy to lose!

·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, a couple of trips up there with no luck, means it is gone. I hope whoever finds it, rides or steps off a cliff because they are focused on their new Garmin.

(joking. sort of.)

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,035 Posts
It was a rough weekend for lost parts out there. I was on the Devils Backbone trail and stopped to rest. I realized my Contour camera rear cap was missing. Two senior citizens ladies were walking by as I realized it. They asked what I was looking for as my head was buried looking down at the trail. I explained a small black plastic cap from my camera. They started looking as they walked away. About 100' down the trail they yelled out "I think we found it". I rode up to them and to my surprise they did indeed find it. What a relief as they don't make those cameras anymore and it's worthless without it having the on / off button built into the cap. And I lost it in one of the rockiest sections of the trail and I figured it was gone forever.

·
<100%
683 Posts
Lost my 500 at Keystone last year. Got it back in a hour - someone found it and turned it in. This is me trying to share some of my good fortune with you.....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Ditch the aluminum nipples and run brass. That's the second reason to not use alloy nipples. The first is the inability to true a wheel.
Aluminum nips + carbon rims = corrosion. I figured I'd wait for something to happen rather than change it to brass protactively. Well, something did happen:). I already was planning to build new wheels (with brass nips) anyway. I will miss the pretty red though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts