Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta get this off my chest. I've been pimping out my favorite bike, a brown BUSS and took it into the LBS to have a gold CK headset installed.Got the HS in the classifieds here and it looks great with the other gold components on the bike.

So picked up the bike today with the new headset, took it to the car, and tried to remove the front wheel to get it in the back. Quick release is fully released, brake is open, but the wheel won't drop free. Then I see a big fresh gouge on the front brake arm, so I take the bike back into the shop. They give me a new Avid 3 to replace the damaged one, and then we look at the problem with releasing the front wheel.

With the wheel pulled off we can see that the left forkend is deformed and too tight on the axle, and the fork dropout alignment is way off. So the tech spreads the forkend back to where it should be, and realigns the fork dropouts with a Park FFG-1 http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1BIG.shtml

My guess is that the fork was dropped onto a forkend when it was off the frame for the headset install. I'm really hoping the fork is back in alignment and there aren't any hidden problems.

Moral of the story is, this will be the first and last time I'll let any LBS touch one of my bikes. I should have bought the headset press and done that job myself. Thanks for letting me share, I feel better now.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Econoline said:
Gotta get this off my chest. I've been pimping out my favorite bike, a brown BUSS and took it into the LBS to have a gold CK headset installed.Got the HS in the classifieds here and it looks great with the other gold components on the bike.

So picked up the bike today with the new headset, took it to the car, and tried to remove the front wheel to get it in the back. Quick release is fully released, brake is open, but the wheel won't drop free. Then I see a big fresh gouge on the front brake arm, so I take the bike back into the shop. They give me a new Avid 3 to replace the damaged one, and then we look at the problem with releasing the front wheel.

With the wheel pulled off we can see that the left forkend is deformed and too tight on the axle, and the fork dropout alignment is way off. So the tech spreads the forkend back to where it should be, and realigns the fork dropouts with a Park FFG-1 http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1BIG.shtml

My guess is that the fork was dropped onto a forkend when it was off the frame for the headset install. I'm really hoping the fork is back in alignment and there aren't any hidden problems.

Moral of the story is, this will be the first and last time I'll let any LBS touch one of my bikes. I should have bought the headset press and done that job myself. Thanks for letting me share, I feel better now.
Either that or he had the fork ends on the floor when he hammered the crown race on, that can definitely bend dropouts.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Econoline, I feel your pain

Econoline said:

I have not not let the LBS see any of my bikes for the last 6 years, sure it takes me a little longer than a pro and I have to occasionaly invest more money into tools but it is so worth it to be self sufficient.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ventanarama said:
Either that or he had the fork ends on the floor when he hammered the crown race on, that can definitely bend dropouts.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
I was going to say, that's exactly what it sounds like... just keep an eye on the fork/drops for cracks in the future.

Then again, you own a BUSS, so you should be checking for cracks everywhere.

I know, it was a cheap shot...

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.