Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is something that happened to a friend of mine when he bought his bike.

We live in Mexico, but on a trip to Las Vegas he decided to buy a mtb. When he got to a store, they did a fit session and told him that he should buy a Jamis. They didn't had the bike in that location, but that they could order it via carrier and have it in the store by monday. Ok, that day was ok by him, because his return flight was on tuesday. My friend paid 50% when he ordered it.

When he went to pick it up, the guy from the LBS told him that the bike didn't arrive, and that they would have it by saturday, but if he wanted it earlier that my friend must pay them for an express delivery.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the shop shouldn't have charged extra because my friend didn't screwed up on the shipment from one shop to the other, and also because he had to pay extra nights to wait for the bike. Well, actually, the nights shouldn't be the concern of the shop, but the shop didn't had the bike when it said it would, and then charged my friend to fix that goof up.

Well, this is just a question I had, should he had demanded that he shouldn't pay for the express delivery because the people from the shop didn't made the shipment on time, or did the shop had a right to charge him?

Thanks

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Hi, this is something that happened to a friend of mine when he bought his bike.

We live in Mexico, but on a trip to Las Vegas he decided to buy a mtb. When he got to a store, they did a fit session and told him that he should buy a Jamis. They didn't had the bike in that location, but that they could order it via carrier and have it in the store by monday. Ok, that day was ok by him, because his return flight was on tuesday. My friend paid 50% when he ordered it.

When he went to pick it up, the guy from the LBS told him that the bike didn't arrive, and that they would have it by saturday, but if he wanted it earlier that my friend must pay them for an express delivery.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the shop shouldn't have charged extra because my friend didn't screwed up on the shipment from one shop to the other, and also because he had to pay extra nights to wait for the bike. Well, actually, the nights shouldn't be the concern of the shop, but the shop didn't had the bike when it said it would, and then charged my friend to fix that goof up.

Well, this is just a question I had, should he had demanded that he shouldn't pay for the express delivery because the people from the shop didn't made the shipment on time, or did the shop had a right to charge him?

Thanks
Did he specifically say when he was buying the bike that he had to have it by monday? If he said that he had to have it by monday or he wouldn't be buying it i'm sure that would've changed things drastically. It sounds like he didn't tell the shop that he had to have it by monday... Still though the bike shop isn't exactly not at fault here but bike shops in general seem to operate on a lacidasical time table when not under the knife...

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I don't know if he mentioned that he needed the bike that day or not. What I think is that my friend did tell the shop he was leaving on tuesday, but I do not think he told them that if they didn't had the bike by then he would look elsewhere. The question is because I just don't know wether the shop should had put the express delivery cost or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Did he ask them for his 50% deposit back on the bike? I bet that would have changed their minds a bit as I doubt they were giving him any discount. When did you order the bike, what day/how many days before MOnday? I don't think that if they said they could have the bike by Monday - and knew he was leaving on Tuesday - should have tried to make him pay for extra shipping 'cause they messed up. You get taken advantage of when people know you're from out of town and don't have many options, I know how you feel.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LyNx said:
Did he ask them for his 50% deposit back on the bike? I bet that would have changed their minds a bit as I doubt they were giving him any discount. When did you order the bike, what day/how many days before MOnday? I don't think that if they said they could have the bike by Monday - and knew he was leaving on Tuesday - should have tried to make him pay for extra shipping 'cause they messed up. You get taken advantage of when people know you're from out of town and don't have many options, I know how you feel.
Actually, he decided to pay the extra money for the express delivery and returned home with the Jamis on thursday. Personally, I think that by then (monday) he didn't want to search for another bike elsewhere and having the same problem in which the store didn't have in inventory the bike he wanted.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.