Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the NORBA Nationals last weekend were a mixed bag. The XC course flat out sucked. It was at least 50% pavement, don't really call that mountain biking, and the 40% fire road was in pitiful shape, and the 10% single track was barely passable as a cattle trail. The temperatures on the west side pavement easily exceeded 115 degrees and was relentless. The only relief was hitting the downhill (pavement of course) back to the start which provided enough of a breeze to cool you down for the next lap.
That being said it was still a fun race for racings sake not the course. In my class there were 20 riders and sandbaggers. Great group of guys who all looked to weigh at least 50 pound lighter than me and they were riding bikes way sub 30# , my thought, time for an a$$ whoopin, me being on the receiving end.
So the race starts an immediately goes into a climb, up pavement before turning on to a gravel road climb by which time the field is getting pretty strung out. The sandbaggers by this time are way ahead of the main group and I will not see them again until the end of lap 3. Most of the ride is climb, bake, quick decent, climb bake some more and another quick decent on and on for the whole race.
There is only one semi techy single track climb that for some reason anyone that was in from of me while climbing it couldn’t clean it and stopped dead in there track screwing it up for me and everyone else behind me. :madmax: Common folks, it isn’t that hard! This happened on all three passes of this section. Can’t a rider get a break? Anyhow I lost at least a minute of time on the combined stalls of riders on this section and it cost me at the end big time.
So after 1 lap I start feeling pretty good and get into my rhythm and begin reeling in and passing other riders in my class and the classes before me. I loose count of how many I pass but I know I must be in top 10 by the end of lap 2. I pick up the pace and at about the mid point of lap 3 I pass the last rider in my class for the race that I wil see. I could see a group of 4 riders about 200 yards out but could determine their class. Tried like I could I couldn’t catch them and ended up finishing in 6th place, just a little over 39 seconds off the podium. Arrgh!! I kept thinking back to that techy hill that caused a log jamb and the time lost there. Oh well still a respectable finish and a “chalk it up to experience” moment for next time.
Post race the Shimano folks had a free BBQ going. Burgers, dogs, salad, grilled spuds, dang it was good! Well it was a good tune-up ride for Downieville in 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fritzaholic said:
Just goes to show how important your start is when there's a big field.
The class starts were staggered by a minute. So it didn't take long to catch up with the groups that went out before us. I think next time a situation like this occurs I will just jump off the bike immediately and blaze a course to the left or right of the dabbers.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
nice job man, it hurts getting that close to the podium! I did the expert 45-59 race. we started at 8am so it was nice and cool till the end. I did not get a chance to do a pre ride so it took me 2 laps to get used to the course. the techy uphill was easy for me, it was the sketchy, slippery downhill after the first climb that slowed me down.
BTW, I got 9th

1 - 4 of 4 Posts