Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
I have an idea, how about he has to spend the rest of his career, as a bike cop? He keeps his job, and learns a bit of tolerance and respect. Having to buy that guy a nice new bike of his choice asa fine would be good too......

If he gets fired, and he's already this dumb, who is he going to 1) blame, and 2) spend his life trying to get even with? Not cool.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,988 Posts
deserves to lose his job -- if it'd been me or mine, he'd be sucking wind at the wrong end of a civil suit, and looking over his shoulder in fear....

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
FlatFender said:
This is really old news. I seem to remember that there was a lot more to the story than what the video shows.
The incident happened about 6 months ago. There's always more to the story.

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/29/cyclist_thrown_from_bike_by_cop_is.php

"The cyclist who was videotaped being body slammed off his bike in an apparently unprovoked attack by an NYPD officer during Friday night's Critical Mass ride has been identified as Christopher Long, a 29-year-old resident of Bloomfield, New Jersey who works at the Union Square Greenmarket. His boss tells the Daily News that Long is an Army veteran and "mild-mannered environmental activist." Craig Radhuber, 54, was riding behind Long Friday night and describes incident: "All of a sudden the cop picked this kid out and bodychecked him. I couldn't believe what was going on. [The officer] body-slammed this kid off the bicycle so hard that he went from the lane to the curb."

The officer seen in the video, rookie Patrick Pogan - a third-generation cop and the son of a retired New York City detective who worked on the Joint Terrorism Task Force - wrote in his police report that Long was observed "forcing multiple vehicles to stop abruptly or change their direction to avoid a collision." Radhuber, the witness, tells the Times that "there was no traffic behind us - there was no traffic to weave in and out of. The police officer looked to see who he was going to pick off."

According to Officer Pogan, Long rode his bike straight into him, knocking them both down and causing a "laceration" on his arm. This account would seem to contradict the incendiary video, shot by a tourist. Long was arrested for attempted assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, and, apparently Officer Pogan wrote in his report that Long told him: "You are pawns in the game. I'm going to have your job."

Bill DiPaola, a director of Time's Up, told the Times he arrived just after Long went down. "He got up and was dazed. They put their knees on top of his head and were smashing him into a phone booth." Long, who was not wearing a helmet, was bruised but not hospitalized, and spent 26 hours in jail. After the video surfaced yesterday, Pogan was stripped of his gun and badge pending an investigation. But his father defended him to the Daily News, saying, "You gotta do what you gotta do to make an arrest." And in discussing the video with the News, an unidentified NYPD source says, "The video is bad - what can you say?" (Watch it after the jump.)

It's been almost four years since Critical Mass bicyclists and the NYPD clashed during the 2004 Republican National Convention (cops arrested over 200 people). Since then, the city and bicyclists have argued over whether the "unorganized" rides can take place--culminating in a judge's 2006 decision that prohibits the city from barring the ride and the NYPD creating "parade rules" for groups of 50 or more. Last year, a cop explained how they gear up for Critical Mass and in May, the Reverend Al Sharpton rode with Critical Mass, reminding bicyclists that people of "all ages and all backgrounds and all races" need to stand together, or else the plice will try to "play one community against each other [and] they get through the middle."

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
FlatFender said:
Whoa whoa whoa, Im not defending the officers actions, Im just saying that before everyone jumps on the bandwagon you should make sure all of your facts are straight.
The facts are on tape. Just for a moment, let's assume the cyclist did something wrong and the officer wanted to stop the cyclist. You can watch and listen to the tape. The cop doesn't motion the cyclist over or give any verbal commands. His actions were inappropriate. Period. Then the cop lies on the police report.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wow thank God a camera was there to capture the incident otherwise Mr. Long would probably be in prison or have a nice criminal record now thanks to a crooked cop filing a phony police report. Always nice that cops have the ability to just give a one sided view of what happened and get away with it, but as they say the camera never lies.

The cop in the video obviously picked out one rider who was smaller than him and struck out. Hope it made him feel like somebody important.

I truly believe there are good cops out there, but I bet if people knew half the sh!t they get away with and how often they falsify reports to avoid problems they would be outraged.

Ever heard of the thin blue line? I am sure without the tape to prove otherwise his fellow officer standing with him would have said Mr. Long rammed the cop on purpose.

I am starting to wonder who is more dangerous the cops or the criminals? At least with the criminals you can arm yourself with concealed carry and it's your word against their word and most juries will be unbiased, but with a cop you have a huge uphill battle in defending yourself against their word in court, trust me I learned the hard way what happens when police file phony reports.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,858 Posts
bsdc said:
Oh, wait ... the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association has cleared up some of the details missed by the video.

https://www.nypost.com/seven/07302008/news/regionalnews/cop_unions_spin_on_bike_tackler_122209.htm

"...Pogan spotted Long weaving through traffic and riding with just one hand on the handlebars."

Well, there you go! Grounds for knocking someone off the bike right there. :skep:

And the article goes on to say "The clip ends with Pogan pushing Long hard off the bike and onto the ground."

That was no push- that was a full-on body slam.

Just sayin'.

fp

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
My Dads a cop, my best friends from school are both cops, and I have a great respect for the police community at large.

That cop is one of the biggest douche-bags I've ever seen and it pissed me off beyond my normal parameters after I read this story and watched the video 6 months ago and it still pisses me off today. He deserves to go to jail for purgery and abuse of power. How anyone in that position could willfully lie and purposely try to screw a perfectly innocent person over for absolutely no reason absolutely astounds me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.