Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just snapped the chainstay on my Jamis XLT for the second time in less than a year!!
So I have decided to get the warranty replacement and sell the Jamis. It was a great bike when it was not broken but I can't deal with the problems anymore. So this brings me to my current problem, I need a new frame. I ride mostly agressive xc with drops 3-4ft max and jump sometimes as well. I am 6'3" and weigh 190lbs. I really liked the ride and handling of the jamis so something similar would be nice. Most of the trails I ride are fairly tight singletrack. No huge climbs or descents unless I am roadtripping which I will be doing with this bike. I basically need a really reliable tough "all-mountain/trailbike". Weight is not too much of an issue, my bike now weighs about 31lbs. I am looking for a bike witharound 5in. of travel. Some early consideration has been given to a new 05 Heckler and I alos rode a yeti 575 and really liked that. So please help with any suggestions for a 5-6in travel full sus. for about 1000-1500. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
fl jay said:
I just snapped the chainstay on my Jamis XLT for the second time in less than a year!!
So I have decided to get the warranty replacement and sell the Jamis. It was a great bike when it was not broken but I can't deal with the problems anymore. So this brings me to my current problem, I need a new frame. I ride mostly agressive xc with drops 3-4ft max and jump sometimes as well. I am 6'3" and weigh 190lbs. I really liked the ride and handling of the jamis so something similar would be nice. Most of the trails I ride are fairly tight singletrack. No huge climbs or descents unless I am roadtripping which I will be doing with this bike. I basically need a really reliable tough "all-mountain/trailbike". Weight is not too much of an issue, my bike now weighs about 31lbs. I am looking for a bike witharound 5in. of travel. Some early consideration has been given to a new 05 Heckler and I alos rode a yeti 575 and really liked that. So please help with any suggestions for a 5-6in travel full sus. for about 1000-1500. Thanks in advance.
I hear that the 2005 Enduro frames will have 6". You may be able to get a deal on a 5" 2005 model.

btw....I think that you're making a wise choice by looking for a beefier frame than you currently have. So often, I see people break frames (that are obviously too light for the rider) and bad-mouth the manufacturer. Then they go out and buy a different light bike....that will eventually break.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think the heckler and yeti are definitely worthy of consideration. I second the enduro as well since I've ridden my friend's and like it a lot. Transition makes a pretty cool bike the Preston FR which got a great review on nsmb.com. Check out the preston video on that site too...pretty cool. My buddy has a Dirtbag, which is more a FR bike from the same company and he loves it. The guys that own that company are really great to work with too.

Other than that, the usual suspects: kona coiler, giant VT, trek liquid...

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
since they're not sold in the usa its almost useless to mention the Oryx Hurricane models but its the right type of bike. You might consider the Weyless XP also (see the XP thread) or one of the Haro Werx dually models.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Agree with Enduro except,,,

Blue Shorts said:
I hear that the 2005 Enduro frames will have 6". You may be able to get a deal on a 5" 2005 model.

btw....I think that you're making a wise choice by looking for a beefier frame than you currently have. So often, I see people break frames (that are obviously too light for the rider) and bad-mouth the manufacturer. Then they go out and buy a different light bike....that will eventually break.
He said he's looking to spend only as much as $1500 and the '05 Enduro starts at just under two grand before taxes. Is he just looking to buy a frame? If so I'm not sure Specialized sells just the frame.

Pretty tough to find a really good freeride type bike in that price range. As you already found out although the Jamis is a great ride, but not designed for the type of riding you've been subjecting it to. A buddy of mine has run into the same problem for the same reason. I.M.O. if you want a bike to do what you want you're going to have to pony up for the extra cash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey dirtpaws, i don't have the Preston FR, but i have the regular Preston, basically the same bike with a different shock and slightly less beefy rockers, and its awesome. You should check out the reviews and maybe email somebody who has one.

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
C'dale?

The scalpel might fit your requirements, or maybe a Turner 5 spot. those Turners kick @ss man! If not, you might want to settle for a SC Blur or if you're really after all that travel, maybe the Heckler...

·
Registered
629 Posts
fred³ said:
He said he's looking to spend only as much as $1500 and the '05 Enduro starts at just under two grand before taxes. Is he just looking to buy a frame? If so I'm not sure Specialized sells just the frame.
Specialized sells the s-works version as frame only, they have it on their site.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just looking for the frame

What I am looking for is just a frame in the 1000-1500 price range. I know there isn't a complete bike out there for that kind of cash. I have been looking at a bunch of frames over the past week and it still looks like the heckler might be the best bet for the money. Also the new 05 enduro looks really sweet and I like the lifetime warranty vs. Santa Cruz's 2 yr. Only thing is i'm not sure whether specialized will be offering frame only on the new enduro. Does anyone know. Thanks for the recomendations and advice and keep it coming if there is anymore.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
bluronthetrails said:
The scalpel might fit your requirements, or maybe a Turner 5 spot. those Turners kick @ss man! If not, you might want to settle for a SC Blur or if you're really after all that travel, maybe the Heckler...
how does a 2.5" travel XC bike fit his requirements of replacing a 5" travel all-mountain bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts