Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bad boy Ultra with the Alfine gear and Truvativ cranks. my bottom bracket is jammed. I think I overtightened the wedge and I am having trouble loosening it. Anyone got any ideas/tricks.

The circlip and washer that sit on top of the screw have gone AWOL and my friendly cannondale dealer has no spares. I have tried using a punch through the screw-hole on the opposite side of the wedge bit I don't have anything substantial/long enough to make any difference. I have now removed the BB from the shell. Does the shell itself come apart? if so how?

any other ideas/

·
Registered
254 Posts
ah you are in the same predicament that I find myself in now. I have tried using "liquid wrench" to loosen the circlip side wedge but no benefit. I tried using a small allen wrench through the opposite screw hole to pop it out like you did, also to no avail. I am going to go out to Sears hardware or Lowes today to get a 4 inch bolt with the same thread pitch as the wedge clamping bolt and thread it through the opposite side screw hole to push the wedge out. I hope to keep the loose wedge at just enough of an angle to make the end of the bolt push the wedge just to the side of the hole on the stuck wedge. I'll let you know how it goes. Its really a tough spot to be.

I have now been foiled by the Cannondale Eccentric three times on three different bikes. I ordered a bushnell so I can throw this damn thing out as soon as I get it out of my bike. I have had a good experience with the Cannondale EBB most of the time but once the circlip/spring clip starts to push it's way out it's all over. In my opionio this was a terrible design flaw and they should have machined out the inside of the wedge for the bolt heat to fit in. This way the CNC'd wedge material is holding the bolt from backing out not a tiny little steel circlip that is sitting in a 1mm groove in soft aluminum. As good as their Lefty's are this design is ultimately garbage. With all the money Dorel has I would have thought they could put a little more money at figuring out why there are constantly bad reviews of the Cannondale eccentric.

One more indication that even Cannondale thinks it's not the best is if you go to Ask Brad on Cannondale (it's a little FAQ, blog question style post list) even Cannondale tells people that are having a hard time with slipping or stuck eccentrics to try lubing them up better or just replace it with a Bushnell or Carver..... uhhhhh hellooooo if you need to tell customers to try stuff but if that doesn't work just go buy someone elses product you might need to put a little time and money into what you are making, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your input, i really appreciate your comments. This is my second EBB. Cannondale replaced the last one under warranty. I have freed one side (the threaded side by screwing in the bolt and tapping it with a hammer. Unfortunately, the wedge is held by pins. :madmax:

I have never heard of the alternatives that you quote and i am not sure of their availability here in the UK but I will have a hunt now. If you can post a link I would appreciate it.

It is fortunate that we are snowbound for the past 10 days

·
Registered
254 Posts
I will post up pictures of my procedure but i was successful without much fuss using 10/32nds threaded rod you can get at any home depot or whatever the big box hardware store is there. I assume they sell "standard" (US that is) bolts as well as metric. I tried the bolt threads in both metric and standard test holes and it fit best in the 10/32nds fine thread so that's what I got. I basically threaded the one foot threaded rod through the threaded wedge until it came in contact with the back of the stuck wedge inside the bottom bracket shell. I used a clamp to hold the loose wedge at an angle and then just pushed the stuck wedge out by threading the rod further in. I used 4 10/32nds nuts on the end of the threaded rod to give me something to use my ratchet on. Popped out without much difficulty.
The eccentric that i am replacing it with is the Bushnell version.
http://www.bushnelltandems.com/
They can be purchased at a variety of US suppliers but I don't know about UK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success

Ordered a Carver EBB.

Brute force and a hardened steel nail got the stuck piece moving. Hoping not to repeat the exercise in the future. The Carver and the Bushnell look similar and it was Carver that came up first so I went with it. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bl**dy hell!

I've got the same issue here in the North East (UK)

Have a bad boy rohloff with cannondale standard eccentric bottom bracket. Done 3500 miles with it and managed to get the thing apart once after the chain snapped from getting so loose. took a bit of banging to get the damn thing loose the first time.

now i'm back at that point and i think i will be every 3 months really as i need to micro-adjust the chain length since i ride 30 miles 4 days a week on the bad boy.

absolutely had enough of the best part of 4 hours getting the damn thing loose. interesting to read the two other bottom bracket options here and i think i too will go and buy one of those if they are better quality options(read: easier to regularly adjust)

Link to buy anyone....?!

Geordie Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
659 Posts
I replaced my Cannondale with a Bushnell and have had no problems adjusting it. I change gearing a lot depending on conditions and trail. I did have the Bushnell loosen up on me once but it was after a couple of hour ride in subfreezing weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Internal cabling

Do any of your guys badboys have the internal cabling? i contacted bushnell and showed them photos and they were concerned. I use mine daily and i am reluctant to tear it down to check if the bulging in the frame around this area is suffiecient to route the cables before ordering the bushnell or carver ebb.
cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wrote up a post on this some time ago when I was having issues with mine

Coolrunnings63 said:
Do any of your guys badboys have the internal cabling? i contacted bushnell and showed them photos and they were concerned. I use mine daily and i am reluctant to tear it down to check if the bulging in the frame around this area is suffiecient to route the cables before ordering the bushnell or carver ebb.
cheers
Yes mine has internal cables, and yes I do share the same concerns about alternate EBB's. The Cannondale one works for me ATM, albeit requiring more looking after than I would like.
As for interference between the EBB and cables I will say it's significant. I cannot simply slide the EBB out once loose, I have to remove one of the wedges whilst the EBB is still in the frame. Similarly to re-install; I can only get it back in with one of the wedges removed. Rebuilding the EBB is certainly not a simple process :madman: . This makes me doubt whether a Carver/Bushnell would fit in.

I guess this could also change depending on frame size, for what it's worth mine's a medium.

If you do end up getting a Bushnell I'd love to know how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
crap EBB

Yes i have read all your postings with interest, but i have come to the end of the road with this EBB. The circlip retaining the bolt was first to fail, now the wedge has a stripped thread and i am using a longer bolt with a nut to retain it. The next time it comes out is the last time and i want a permanent better solution.

cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not so fast... You still need to take a grate deal of care when fitting and ANY contamination means that your EBB will slip. In addition, i am running Truvativ cranks and can't get rid of the creak. Have recently changed to a hope BB but the problem is worse.

All in all I am struggling with the EBB concept and have seriously considered this

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=474924

I run daily in wet claggy path and my bike is constantly dirty with sandy gritty soil. I suspect that I would be better off with another frame with hoeizontal drop outs

·
Registered
181 Posts
Grease and the proper torque made my quiet and solid, the proper torque was much higher than I would have guessed, it found it in some cannondale document somewhere but don't remember what it was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My stock ebb lost the snap ring just the other day, leaving my ebb stuck. Just like most Cannondale singlespeed owners experience. I managed to free the stuck eccentric using the tried and true hammer and punch method.
While I was in the process of tapping away at my pin punch, I decided to try modifying the stock ebb to make adjustments a little less annoying.
What I came up with was quite simple actually. I tapped the hole in the wedge which the tightening screw passes through. The hole was fairly close to M6 tap drill size so I tapped it for an M6.
I then scrounged up an M6x75mm capscrew that was fully threaded. This screw now threads into the wedge that the tightening screw passes through. I turn this screw in until it pushes against the other wedge, forcing the pair of them apart.
I radiused the end of the M6x75 jacking screw and inserted a radiused M5x15 screw into the other wedge, to prevent damage to its threads.
Hopefully I have explained this clearly since it was quite simple and much cheaper than an aftermarket eccentric. The only real downfall is having to carry the 2 screws in my toolbag for trailside adjustments. jh.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I wasn't exactly clear until the very last sentence. You still use the original screw to hold the wedges in place when tightening/riding and the two other screws are only used for loosening the EBB, after removing the original screw. Nice solution, I may do that to the two older EBB's I have sitting in a box, in case I ever need to replace my Bushnell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
skinl19 said:
I wasn't exactly clear until the very last sentence. You still use the original screw to hold the wedges in place when tightening/riding and the two other screws are only used for loosening the EBB, after removing the original screw. Nice solution, I may do that to the two older EBB's I have sitting in a box, in case I ever need to replace my Bushnell.
Correct, the original screw is still used to hold the ebb tight while you ride. The other screws are for adjustment/removal of the ebb only. JH

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.