Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a quarter of an acre to build a trail in my backyard and add some ttfs to over time. I live in north florida where the soil is pretty sandy, but can get dirty--no real rocks . I am sure my dogs are going to chase me on the trail so I would like to keep it packed down and as "clean" as possible. I do not want to spend a fortune. I was thinking of trying to add some coquina or maybe a local rock to the trail to help stabilize and keep clean..Am I on the right path? Does anyone have any other ideas? I tried searching the forum but could not find anything relevant. Thanks, john

·
Machine Trail Builder
69 Posts
Yea, sounds like your on the right path. I am from the Pacific Northwest so we don't have any coquina up here, but I would think it would be able to firm up your sand. Worth a try at least. Start small and see how it does.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I think my picture size is too big, so i am trying to resize them. Unfortunately, it seems difficult to do with the windows software and this pentax. I might try using photobucket if i cannot figure it out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
karma 33 said:
Yes, I think my picture size is too big, so i am trying to resize them. Unfortunately, it seems difficult to do with the windows software and this pentax. I might try using photobucket if i cannot figure it out.
Yea some online sites let you resize them, i don't which ones though

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm in central florida and have a fenced in acre and was concidering doing the same thing. Building a deck with a drop for some speed and then a flowing track around the back half of the property. Post your ideas and pic's of what the trail is looking like. I have a slight down grade toward the back of my property so that should help with the flow, plus plenty of tree cover to help with protecting it from too much hard rain. A few nice drops/jumps and some fast sweeping turns to start, then some tech slow stuff to build up my skills. I'll post pic's when i start building.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
karma 33 said:
I have about a quarter of an acre to build a trail in my backyard and add some ttfs to over time. I live in north florida where the soil is pretty sandy, but can get dirty--no real rocks . ... I do not want to spend a fortune. I was thinking of trying to add some coquina or maybe a local rock to the trail to help stabilize and keep clean..Am I on the right path? Does anyone have any other ideas? ...
I've got a couple ideas. First would be to check out local parks and botanical gardens, and take a look at what they are doing for all weather paths. Likewise, you might check out a couple home supply / do it yourself type places that sell sand, rock, etc. Be frank with them about cost. I've found those folks to be pretty good with the advice about what materials to purchase for various projects.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is a great idea about local parks and gardens and what they use for paths, I really do not have any elevation change, but I am thinking of running the singletrack on the perimeter to the back 2 corners of my yard where I have no lawn( just bordered natural beds). I was thinking of buiding a rock garden of sorts and maybe bringing in some dirt to give it some elevation in one corner and then leading the trail to the other corner for another ttf( maybe a ladder bridge) and then finally bringing the trail back toward the house to another natural bordered area and a final ttf. I am just in the rough idea phase of this and have not done anything like it before, but I have the room and think it will be lot of fun--and exercise for the dogs chasing me. Thanks again for all the input. I am still working on getting some pics up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.