Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Backyard Skills Park That Double As Kid Adventure Course and Playhouse

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TimTucker 
#1 ·
I've got the remains of an old deck in my backyard, complete with Trex decking, a few 2x10s, a few 6x6 posts, etc.

At first, I thought "I can build some sweet skills features with that stuff!"

Then I realized I'm a parent, and I probably should build my kid a playhouse or jungle gym.

Unfortunately, I don't really have the room for both.

What are some cool MTB features that could also double as playground things for kids?

Here's what I've got so far:

• Balance Beam that has ramps at each end to use as a skinny.
  • Progression Drops with bouldering holds on the side.
  • Landing for a drop that also doubles as a BMX starting ramp (access from the side)
  • Raised playhouse with a BMX style starting ramp off one side.
  • Teeter-totter that's well...a teeter totter.

Any other ideas, or pictures of something similar that you've built?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got the remains of an old deck in my backyard, complete with Trex decking, a few 2x10s, a few 6x6 posts, etc.

At first, I thought "I can build some sweet skills features with that stuff!"

Then I realized I'm a parent, and I probably should build my kid a playhouse or jungle gym.

Unfortunately, I don't really have the room for both.

What are some cool MTB features that could also double as playground things for kids?

Here's what I've got so far:

• Balance Beam that has ramps at each end to use as a skinny.
  • Progression Drops with bouldering holds on the side.
  • Landing for a drop that also doubles as a BMX starting ramp (access from the side)
  • Raised playhouse with a BMX style starting ramp off one side.
  • Teeter-totter that's well...a teeter totter.

Any other ideas, or pictures of something similar that you've built?
Not from your decking, but still free (if you have a good source) tree stump sections (~2' diameter) ranging in a few inches to a few feet tall to practice getting over square edges and wheel tap hop overs (stump jumping!)

or build a picnic table. Perfect intro to trials skills

#4 ·
If you have the room a short trail or pumptrack would be a good addition. My kids have had lots of fun riding (or running) on my backyard trail. I also built a log-ride which my oldest kid likes. Currently I am working on building a creek along with a wooden walkway and bridge that I'm sure the kids will love.

Attachments

#5 ·
Have a look at some of the stuff @TimTucker has built in this thread:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.