Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw a similar post on here a while back but couldn't find it. What, if any, kind of obstacles do you have at home for training purposes? I've got some free time and the Mrs is out of town so I don't have to hear "You shouldn't do that, you might get hurt, mehhhh". Got a bunch of old 2x4s with rusty nails in them and some zip ties, thought I'd see what I could come up with. Really just trying to come up with something to help practice handling skills and clearing larger logs and rocks. A log would probably work pretty well I guess.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I haven't tried this, but I heard about it, and it sounds great (and cheap).

Get a 2 x 12, 2 x 10, 2 x 8, 2 x 6, and a 2 x 4.

Lay them end to end and see how far you can ride before it gets too skinny.

Stack them and bind them with cargo straps to make an adjustable log. Work your way up to a full stack.

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ettore said:
you should get a 2x2 also, then maybe some 2x1 :).
And maybe finish it off with some rebar, or just suspend a string between two trees.
Actually I could see this setup being pretty cool if it was built up off the ground 8-12 inches, and maybe had some turns in it (if the lumber is from Home Depot there should def be some curves to it.) If the 2x's were set at varying heighs then you could practice riding/hopping over them as well. Starting to get some ideas here......

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've built some log stack ups in my back yard. One is lower than my chainring, so i can just ride over, but I also have a taller stack up that I can't simply clear by rolling over it. This helps me practice hopping over the stack up, using a k-hop, i think.

I also have some 4x4s that I lean on one side of a ~12inch log and then drop off the end, while practicing my balance on the way up.

Just to warn you, I've killed all the grass where I set up my little obstacles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.