Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so it wasn't that bad but I did crash. I built this a couple of months ago but I havent got around to posting anything about it. I've only gone off it 3 times before today and I landed it on all of them. The hardest thing about it is the tree that is so close to it right at the apex of the climb. It's impossible to have any speed when you you go by it or you will get knocked off balence I should have noticed this when I built it but when I did it was too late. so today I decided to go off and when I got to the end I knew that I did not have nearly enough speed. I instinctively threw my weight as far back as I could which saved me from faceplanting into the landing ramp. landed it but way off kilter and slammed the tree. luckily I wasn't hurt and only my crappy brake lever got killed:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Poor tree.

yah you're lucky that's all you got from riding that rickety pile of scrap wood.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
hah thats goofy. last week i was hittign this 7ft drop in my backyard, cleanign it everytime, then it started to snow, i still rode it, wood got slick, i lost the bike and rolled off the drop on my knees and landed on my back. it hurtsss

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh its stong...

that might be why it looks shady, because I have so many random braces holding it up. I might not have used top-notch materials but I think its safe until the palette planking starts rotting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought about cutting the tree down but:
1. it would almost be impossible to keep it from falling right on the drop
2. the tree was there first and I like having "woods" behind my house

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
I keep looking at the pics and still can't figure out how you were going fast enough to take such a chunk out of that tree if you were going that slow

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question^^but I think I managed to hit the landing ramp because it is so close to the drop(i knew when I built it I wouldent be able to get to much speed) and it gave me a boost.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
jonnyp said:
:skep: and why did you build it so close to the tree. I mean the tree is leaning into the rider's path:madman:
I do that with my backyard stunts. I don't have the room to make 'em big, so I just need to make them hard. I've got a drop kinda like that. It's about 4', lands right between two trees 4' apart, the bridge is 8" wide, and there's very little runup. It's not big at all, but kinda tricky. Keeps it interesting.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
bgmtbiker said:
that might be why it looks shady, because I have so many random braces holding it up. I might not have used top-notch materials but I think its safe until the palette planking starts rotting.
So ghetto..........:rolleyes:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
loosen your levers so they spin...that way instead of taking impact and possibly breaking they will spin on the bars hopefully away from destruction

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.