Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just got a freeride bike, so today i went to his house to see what we could do with his land. He already had a nice dirt jump into a ditch (sorta thing) that was pretty cool, but it wast enough. We started to build a small vert ramp (we werent very smart with how to do it) and the end product was a nice little jump that was very easy to pop off of. We took it to the old dirt jump (sorry no pictures of it) and tilted the jump up on some of the old dirt, the moved everything else so we had a nice, clean gap.

Motorcycle Wood Automotive tire Rim Tread

Soil Geological phenomenon Slope

After that we wanted to make a wooden ladder for something. after building a decent sized ladder we decided to put it over a natural drop that he already had there. It took a long time but we finally got it nice and sturdy. We looked at it a few time, and realized it was intimidating with the 5-6 foot drop on the end (niether of us are super great) so we put up and old grate to work as a easy landing

Infrastructure Soil Geological phenomenon Composite material Concrete

Although they arent the best the are really fun.

My friend hitting the jump

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike

Me hitting the jump

Soil Stunt performer Off-roading Extreme sport Outdoor recreation

My friend is bad a picture taking, he cuts your head off =[

Clothing Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Another of me

Wheel Tire Mountain bike Bicycle Bicycle wheel

Another bad picture... grrr

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

I was going to slow. still a good picture i guess

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Night Bicycle clothing

It was really fun. We will probably continue to build this most weekends (if we arent at northstar). should probably get more pics whenever we build.

·
Registered
480 Posts
At least you're building...some may look down on this, but who knows 1...3 years from now, you'd be gapping 30 footers or end up xc :)... The first pic is a good lip btw, keep it up.

·
killin clear creek
760 Posts
That grate is SKETCHY as helll!!! Good to see you guys building though! It's something that a lot of lazy bastards take for granted, that someone will build stuff for them, but some folks get off their arses & get work done!!!

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Those may be the sketchiest ladders i have ever seen built. I would be afraid to ride them even with a helmet on.... You guys are crazy!!

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually we tested the ladder a lot, we jumped on it, added supports where it was needed. The supports are buried like three feet deep. We will probably move the grate soon and just take it as an all out drop soon, it was just a nice landing for the first few slow tries.

And the masks, my friend cut eye holes in a red bag and it looked funny, so we felt like wearing it.

We already have an extension to the ladder planned, and a few more jumps. Probably going to be at northstar the next two weeks and then will get back to building.

The landings on both the drop and jump are way to soft. Probably 6 inches of soft sand. Should we just add a lot of kitty litter to it and water it?

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lanceamatic said:
do you dumb-asses like your heads in 1 piece? wear a damn helmet on your janky-ass jumps
We must not be as clumsy as you :0

Oh, and sorry our jumps are so Janky? U must be a master of jankieness (is that right?)

·
Registered
542 Posts
:eek: What the heck did you use for planks?!:eek:

I've built some shady stuff, but dang! Glad to see you out there building though, it truly is a great feeling to right something you built! :thumbsup:

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Umm we used my friends junk wood for planks. I honestly didn't think the jump would hold but it does. We filled it in with dirt to make it even better. It really does feel great to ride something you built, especially if it's fun. Now I look at the fun ladder after I nail it and think "dang, I built that." to me building is almost as fun as riding...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Well, I'm not sure where to start.

That said, looks like you are having fun and progressing. Everyone has to start somewhere, so have at it, boys!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts