Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
26” BMX Framed twenty6er - $200

Does this count? I'm not a BMX guy but I can't imagine this is correct.

The fork and bars are correct it’s just how the bike was parked with them facing to the rear. BMX bikes can spin the bars and fork in an entire 360° rotation. Unlike normal bikes.
I don't disagree with DJ, but once the bars and fork are facing in the right direction the brake lever should be rotated around to the correct position also. It looks like the brake lever is facing in the right direction while the fork, bar and stem are backwards.
Good catch, I missed the brake lever facing that way, the mind boggles. At least it’s an easy fix. ;)
Backwards stem and fork, bars and brake lever are facing forward.

That's one mixed up bike assembler.
I can tell you guys don't know anything about DCBMX.
Even in DCBMX, it is customary to remove the circular plastic cardboard box spacer from the outside of the rear hub axle prior to being photographed for sale. Although, it does imply the bike has not yet been ridden to the 7-11 for a cherry freeze.
I don't have a clue what DCBMX is but it looks to me like the stem and fork are oriented correctly with each other, they just need to rotated 180* so the axle offset is forward and then the bars would need to flipped 180* due to the angle of the grips and then the lever mounted correctly. I'm aware of BMX bikes that can spin the front 360* but those have a special configuration for cables and it doesn't appear that frame is set up for that configuration. Wrong?
Is this the bike one of the members here just received in the mail?
I can't quite tell what is wrong. Like mentioned above the stem/fork are oriented properly. However, the bars are configured for a rider to sit down and ride off. Spinning the steering 180* would have the bars tilted back too far.

Unsure if this was set up this way for shipping or if it was really assembled improperly.
Or it was set up this way on purpose for purposes of this thread so everybody could pick apart what is wrong. LOL
All you gotta do is take the bars off, leave them exactly how they are in the pic, then spin the front end 180 degrees and put that bars back on.
This is correct and basically what I said. The detangler as they are called is not on this bike. The piece that keeps the cables from getting messed up in a 360° rotation. After my post above I realized it didn’t have one but I was correct in saying the fork bars stem are all correct and just need to be spun around and facing the right way. The brake lever however that dbhamner noticed is facing the wrong way. It’s bizzaro 101.

Here’s the special piece that BMX bikes have that allows the 360° rotation which this bike doesn’t have.

B1EB2C32-56BF-4B05-B0E4-A8D9F04C90CA.jpeg

All you gotta do is take the bars off, leave them exactly how they are in the pic, then spin the front end 180 degrees and put that bars back on.
Ahh.. yes that is correct, good catch. I didn’t notice the bars are facing the right way just mounted on the stem which is facing the wrong way as well as the fork. Someone needs to set the crack pipe down several hours before assembly.

:eek:ut::lol::lol::lol:

·
Cycologist
7,189 Posts
Ok, Mr Costco bike assembler guy, besides the fact that they provided you a QR code to access a video with assembly instructions, there's a 50% lifesize picture of the assembled bike on the box and you still got it wrong!

Costco_forked_it.jpg

·
36,753 Posts
Lol
About a month ago I was talking with a guy from an outside company who was assembling grills at Lowes. He said he just came from building a couple hundred bikes for several Wal Marts. I laughed and asked if he put the forks on facing forward and correct. He gave me a dumbfounded look as I walked away laughing.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,113 Posts
Just perusing my local CL and found this in S. San Francisco.

Backward_Fork.jpg

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
This is correct and basically what I said. The detangler as they are called is not on this bike. The piece that keeps the cables from getting messed up in a 360° rotation. After my post above I realized it didn’t have one but I was correct in saying the fork bars stem are all correct and just need to be spun around and facing the right way. The brake lever however that dbhamner noticed is facing the wrong way. It’s bizzaro 101.

Here’s the special piece that BMX bikes have that allows the 360° rotation which this bike doesn’t have.

View attachment 1249234
You don't have to have a gyro to spin bars 360 degrees. Just a long enough cable. I can spin my BMX bars a full 360 without a gyro.

·
36,753 Posts
I forgot about this one. The show Seinfeld had a mountain bike hanging on the wall in the background. First it was a Cannondale and then a Klein. For a few episodes the Klein had the fork mounted backwards. It’s unclear if this was an oversight or intentional. May have been either and left that way for a few episodes as just another joke in a hysterical sitcom.

36739068-70D8-4CE6-91BD-DB675202E4EA.jpg

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,113 Posts
I forgot about this one. The show Seinfeld had a mountain bike hanging on the wall in the background. First it was a Cannondale and then a Klein. For a few episodes the Klein had the fork mounted backwards. It’s unclear if this was an oversight or intentional. May have been either and left that way for a few episodes as just another joke in a hysterical sitcom.

View attachment 1268083
I totally missed that. I'm a Seinfeld junkie, too.

·
36,753 Posts
“Thecanoe”
Posted this in the sad bikes thread the other day. Seems appropriate here as well.

B6E90C37-0B94-466B-8370-CE26D44EC912.jpg

·
Doer of Awesome
158 Posts
Apparently a relatively popular corporate event is to do "bike builds" as a sort of team building exercise. At one such event, I was hired to do "safety checks" on the bikes and assist the teams if they had any questions while building them according to the instructions in the boxes. They had about 20 teams going and I was walking around giving advice whenever I saw something egregiously wrong. Of the 20 bikes, I would say that on about 8 of them, I had to advise them to turn the fork around. After they were all built, they came over to my stand and I basically had to rebuild most of them to make them not be deathtraps. Fortunately, the teams all moved on to some corporate ra-ra motivational thing while I worked before the presentation ceremony where the kids at a local charity came to receive their new bikes. I shudder to think about how many of those kids wouldn't be alive today if left to the devices of the most confident (and usually the most inept) member and therefore leader of the bike building teams. LOL

·
All fat, all the time.
8,704 Posts
Apparently a relatively popular corporate event is to do "bike builds" as a sort of team building exercise. At one such event, I was hired to do "safety checks" on the bikes and assist the teams if they had any questions while building them according to the instructions in the boxes. They had about 20 teams going and I was walking around giving advice whenever I saw something egregiously wrong. Of the 20 bikes, I would say that on about 8 of them, I had to advise them to turn the fork around. After they were all built, they came over to my stand and I basically had to rebuild most of them to make them not be deathtraps. Fortunately, the teams all moved on to some corporate ra-ra motivational thing while I worked before the presentation ceremony where the kids at a local charity came to receive their new bikes. I shudder to think about how many of those kids wouldn't be alive today if left to the devices of the most confident (and usually the most inept) member and therefore leader of the bike building teams. LOL
That's great:)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
Backwards Trust Message linkage fork, to make the "world's toughest race" even tougher.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 231 Posts