Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
bipedal
722 Posts
Has anyone posted a Manitou fork yet? Lol
They look goofy, took me a while to get used to it.
With disc brakes the fork bridge doesn't have to be in the front.
That said, does anyone know why Manitou put the brace in back?

pic shows a "goofy" Manitou fork (44mm offset), mounted the correct way ;)

Manitou.jpg

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
*tries to understand how front brake hose is routed*

*expects it to be routed behind the right-half of the crown*

*confused seeing it go straight between the sliders*

·
bipedal
722 Posts
Sharp eye, ninjichor! :yesnod:

The OEM fork had a front brace so the brake hose was too short to wrap around "The Manitou Way". However, it fit nicely between the sliders clearing the tire and stanchions. Hard to tell, but it's zip tied to the Manitou holder on the brace.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
With disc brakes the fork bridge doesn't have to be in the front.
That said, does anyone know why Manitou put the brace in back?

pic shows a "goofy" Manitou fork (44mm offset), mounted the correct way ;)

View attachment 1245881
They put the brace in the back claiming it was stiffer that way. It was the Manitou Black fork that debuted in 2003 that started it. The stiffer claim was never proven and it never really caught on.

·
Sneaker man
3,379 Posts
Yeah I have a couple of sets of R7's as well as looking wonky (although they work nicely through the travel and were cheap), they are far from what I would call stiff.
I know DT also had/have the reverse arch going on and Magura run on both in front and behind... no idea if stiffer for those or not.

ALso the looks I got from people at DH races back in the mid 90's when I was racing on my Manitou with the forks for the rear end, people thought I made it myself, gaddam it, it was megabucks people

·
36,753 Posts
The mind boggles.

LOL
Check out the cable routing.

·
36,753 Posts
The fork and bars are correct it’s just how the bike was parked with them facing to the rear. BMX bikes can spin the bars and fork in an entire 360° rotation. Unlike normal bikes.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I don't disagree with DJ, but once the bars and fork are facing in the right direction the brake lever should be rotated around to the correct position also. It looks like the brake lever is facing in the right direction while the fork, bar and stem are backwards.

·
36,753 Posts
I don't disagree with DJ, but once the bars and fork are facing in the right direction the brake lever should be rotated around to the correct position also. It looks like the brake lever is facing in the right direction while the fork, bar and stem are backwards.
Good catch, I missed the brake lever facing that way, the mind boggles. At least it’s an easy fix. ;)

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,488 Posts
Backwards stem and fork, bars and brake lever are facing forward.

That's one mixed up bike assembler.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Even in DCBMX, it is customary to remove the circular plastic cardboard box spacer from the outside of the rear hub axle prior to being photographed for sale. Although, it does imply the bike has not yet been ridden to the 7-11 for a cherry freeze.

Reactions: jcd46

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
I can tell you guys don't know anything about DCBMX.
I don't have a clue what DCBMX is but it looks to me like the stem and fork are oriented correctly with each other, they just need to rotated 180* so the axle offset is forward and then the bars would need to flipped 180* due to the angle of the grips and then the lever mounted correctly. I'm aware of BMX bikes that can spin the front 360* but those have a special configuration for cables and it doesn't appear that frame is set up for that configuration. Wrong?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
26” BMX Framed twenty6er - $200

Does this count? I'm not a BMX guy but I can't imagine this is correct.

Is this the bike one of the members here just received in the mail?
I can't quite tell what is wrong. Like mentioned above the stem/fork are oriented properly. However, the bars are configured for a rider to sit down and ride off. Spinning the steering 180* would have the bars tilted back too far.

Unsure if this was set up this way for shipping or if it was really assembled improperly.
Or it was set up this way on purpose for purposes of this thread so everybody could pick apart what is wrong. LOL

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,488 Posts
All you gotta do is take the bars off, leave them exactly how they are in the pic, then spin the front end 180 degrees and put that bars back on.

·
36,753 Posts
I don't have a clue what DCBMX is but it looks to me like the stem and fork are oriented correctly with each other, they just need to rotated 180* so the axle offset is forward and then the bars would need to flipped 180* due to the angle of the grips and then the lever mounted correctly. I'm aware of BMX bikes that can spin the front 360* but those have a special configuration for cables and it doesn't appear that frame is set up for that configuration. Wrong?
This is correct and basically what I said. The detangler as they are called is not on this bike. The piece that keeps the cables from getting messed up in a 360° rotation. After my post above I realized it didn’t have one but I was correct in saying the fork bars stem are all correct and just need to be spun around and facing the right way. The brake lever however that dbhamner noticed is facing the wrong way. It’s bizzaro 101.

Here’s the special piece that BMX bikes have that allows the 360° rotation which this bike doesn’t have.

1C8D81F6-8227-4E0E-8FB9-8B23D02FE845.jpeg

181 - 200 of 231 Posts